My husband, son (13 yrs. old) and I are travelling for the first time to Africa and we would love your comments on our tentative itinerary. I have been researching many hours and I still have many doubts
We will arrive on April 30th on Johannesburg and leave on May 12th, 2017 (we will have one festive day, monday May 1st).
30: Johannesburg + Port Elizabeth - arriving to Johannesburg at 2 pm after 18 hrs. Take a flight to Port Elizabeth and sleep there - rent a car at the airport
1: Port Elizabeth + drive towards Garden Route - recover some energy at the beach (it´s the holiday, May 1st) In the afternoon begin driving towards the Garden Route. Sleep in Oyster Bay? Storms River? Plettenberg Bay?
2: Garden Route - I still need to make more research on that zone, maybe we could go to one of the reserves, Which one would be better? see question at the end of the itinerary, please. I think whale watching is also on the route to Capetown? Would it be possible to see them in May?.
3: Garden Route
4: Garden Route to Capetown. Sleep in Capetown.
5 /6: Capetown (Cape of Good Hope, Simon´s Town, Table Mountain, Houd Bay, Victoria and Albert
7: trip to the wine zone Stellenbosch (or skip it if we need more time for Johannesburg or for Capetown).
8: Kruger: early morning flight to Kruger National Park
9: Kruger (would 1 night be enough? I saw some pictures from Mpumalanga, is the nice part inside Kruger National Park or should we assign more time to knowing Mpumalanga outside Kruger?
10: Kruger /Mpumalanga + flight to Johannesburg early in the afternoon
11: Johannesburg (would 2 nights be enough in Johannesburg?)
12: morning flight to Lima
Johannesburg / Capetown
Do you think it is reasonable to give Capetown 3 days and only 1.5 days to Johannesburg?
What should I consider when deciding which reserve to go?
Where would we find more animals from different type? Is the difference the level of service? The type of animals?
Most tour companies offer Kruger National Park, and I have also seen that there are many reserves around the Garden Route and Capetown, like Addo National Park, Kynsna, Cape Agulhas, Walker Bay, Tsitsikama.
Is Kruger National Park superior?
I also read something about making sure that is malaria free - where do I find that information?
I am thinking I assigned 1 night more than I should to the Garden Route. Should I assign that night to the Kruger zone or to Johannesburg?
Would it be better to make the route the other way? Begin with Johannesburg and then Kruger National Park and the driving through the Garden Route and Capetown (or Capetown and the Garden Route), considering that our second day is holiday (May 1st).
Is it easy to drive in SouthAfrica? Would it be better to take a flight or rent a car from Kruger to Johannesburg? Would we need a car in the Kruger area?
We are probably being too optimistic with the times. Which zone do you recommend me to skip, if you think I´m right about the optimism?
THank in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 2 http://www.scamcare.com/diabazole-reviews/
- 3 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 4 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 5 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 6 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 7 recomendation on African Safari company
- 8 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 9 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 10 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 11 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 12 One extra day in Jordan
- 13 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
- 14 Where to stay for a night in Johannesburg?
- 15 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 16 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 17 Israel in Late October or November?
- 18 One month in Africa
- 19 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 20 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 21 Travel to Saudi Arabia
- 22 Snorkeling at Diani Beach
- 23 Madagascar - Books
- 24 Tanzania Itinerary help
- 25 Madagascar Driver/Lodging Question - Palmarium and Vakona