I'm very seriously considering an invitation to visit Syria next summer with a friend of mine who has family there. We would be staying with her family in the mountains but traveling around a bit as well. While I know my friend would never put me in harms way, I have to ask: how safe is it for a blonde hair, blue eyed American female to travel there with another female? How will I be perceived? My friend is incredible helpful in explaining the culture and taboos but I still wonder about how the general atmosphere toward Americans. If anyone has been there or has suggestions for me I'd very much appreciate it.
Syria for American caucasians?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 2 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 3 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 4 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 5 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 8 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 9 Charity begins at Home!
- 10 Sun Safaris
- 11 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 12 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 13 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 14 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 15 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 16 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 17 Tour to Morocco
- 18 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 19 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 20 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 21 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 22 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 23 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 24 Uganda again
- 25 November at victoria falls