I am an American female and will be traveling alone to Nairobi in December, landing at 23:15.
My flight the next morning to Kilimanjaro leaves at 9 a.m. In light of last month's fire, I am wondering if it is possible and if it is SAFE to stay overnight in the Nairobi airport? Is there actually a place to sit and wait?
Also, if I do stay in the airport, will I always be in the secure area or do I need a transit visa? If my understanding is correct, I don't need any visa for my return from Zanzibar to the U.S. because I'll just be connecting through NBO, yes?
Any advice based on the current situation at the airport would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 A First Journey to Southern Africa: Cape, Falls, and Animal Safaris
- 2 After Botswana ?
- 3 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 4 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 5 2 Months in Ethiopia - My Experience
- 6 Luggage restrictions-Kenya? Diani Beach?
- 7 HELP! 20+ days in Africa - First time ever trip
- 8 Timing for Africa visit
- 9 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 10 Morocco over Christmas
- 11 Itinerary Feedback: Kruger, Chobe, Victoria Falls, & Maasai Mara
- 12 OR Tambo to Arathusa: Fly or Drive
- 13 Botswana - Mobile Safari Operator Recommendations?
- 14 Kruger/sabi sands reserve Vs. Botswana
- 15 Has anyone been to Zanzibar and got tips?
- 16 Uganda, Rwanda, and Zanzibar-Brief Trip Report
- 17 Cape Town + safari itinerary
- 18 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 19 Last-minute South Africa advice?
- 20 DOHA LAYOVER
- 21 Morocco Questions
- 22 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 23 Botswana safari recs
- 24 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 25 Safe to Travel to Morocco
Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?