My wife and I have recently returned from a private safari to Selous and Ruaha with Authentic Tanzania. This was our second trip with Authentic and once again we had a wonderful time.
I would like to share my photographs of this safari with you all:
We travelled by road for the entire trip and although the unsealed sections can be quite horrendous, I wouldn't do it any other way. Some parts of the road, particularly Selous to Morogoro, had really deteriorated since our last trip in September 2009 but travelling through the village areas, and seeing traditional life going on as it has for ages, really made it worthwhile. I have promised myself that my next trip to Tanzania will be to photograph the people. There is so much beauty.
I was happy with Selous this time and we had some good sightings of lion. We left Selous off our 2009 itinerary as we were quite disappointed with it in early June 2007. Then the rains had lingered longer and the grass was still too high for good game viewing. This time was drier and we spent a lot of time around the lakes. It really is a beautiful place and our camp on Lake Nzerakera was superb.
The road from Mikumi to Iringa is now world class and is a joy to travel. However some Tanzanian truck drivers still manage to roll their trucks over. Ruaha was again a great experience and is my favourite park. It's getting a bit busier than it used to be but it is a vast wilderness area and you can still go a long time before you see other vehicles. We had great sightings of leopard, cheetah and lion. Even saw hyaena which I haven't seen in Ruaha before and a rare sighting of Klipspringers two days in a row. We camped under an enormous old baobab tree at the base of Kimilamatonge Hill, where the lions can be quite "friendly" (see the last couple of photos in my Ruaha gallery).
I will get stuck in and write a more detailed trip report in the coming weeks.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 2 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 3 CAUTION! Do not deal with IRANIANVISA.COM
- 4 Isreal
- 5 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 6 Binocular rentals
- 7 Namibia: any suggestion for a 3 weeks self drive roundtrip?
- 8 Marrakech
- 9 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 10 Dead Sea day trip
- 11 Victoria and Albert Cape Town renovation status
- 12 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 13 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 14 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 15 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 16 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 17 Itinerary Ideas
- 18 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 19 Travel to Botswana
- 20 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 21 Loldia House Kenya
- 22 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 23 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 24 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 25 several short safaris vs one longer one