My wife and I have recently returned from a private safari to Selous and Ruaha with Authentic Tanzania. This was our second trip with Authentic and once again we had a wonderful time.
I would like to share my photographs of this safari with you all:
We travelled by road for the entire trip and although the unsealed sections can be quite horrendous, I wouldn't do it any other way. Some parts of the road, particularly Selous to Morogoro, had really deteriorated since our last trip in September 2009 but travelling through the village areas, and seeing traditional life going on as it has for ages, really made it worthwhile. I have promised myself that my next trip to Tanzania will be to photograph the people. There is so much beauty.
I was happy with Selous this time and we had some good sightings of lion. We left Selous off our 2009 itinerary as we were quite disappointed with it in early June 2007. Then the rains had lingered longer and the grass was still too high for good game viewing. This time was drier and we spent a lot of time around the lakes. It really is a beautiful place and our camp on Lake Nzerakera was superb.
The road from Mikumi to Iringa is now world class and is a joy to travel. However some Tanzanian truck drivers still manage to roll their trucks over. Ruaha was again a great experience and is my favourite park. It's getting a bit busier than it used to be but it is a vast wilderness area and you can still go a long time before you see other vehicles. We had great sightings of leopard, cheetah and lion. Even saw hyaena which I haven't seen in Ruaha before and a rare sighting of Klipspringers two days in a row. We camped under an enormous old baobab tree at the base of Kimilamatonge Hill, where the lions can be quite "friendly" (see the last couple of photos in my Ruaha gallery).
I will get stuck in and write a more detailed trip report in the coming weeks.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco Trip Report
- 2 Morocco--advice on itinerary needed!
- 3 Tanzania and Kenya tour company?
- 4 Real taste of Morocco and nomad life with Adrartravel
- 5 South Africa self drive, March 2015
- 6 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 7 Suggestions for a group tour
- 8 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 9 Cape Town Itinerary
- 10 Custom Morocco guide recommendations requested
- 11 Best African safari destination – in addition to Masai Mara Conservancy?
- 12 Car Rentals in Israel
- 13 Dubai hotels
- 14 FRS Ferry between Tarifa and Tangier
- 15 Pulse Africa???
- 16 Kruger
- 17 Morocco to Tel Aviv --flights
- 18 Uganda Trip Report
- 19 Eastern Cape Safari?
- 20 itinerary any ideas?
- 21 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 22 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 23 Two Weeks in Capetown, want to add a safari
- 24 Anybody used Classic Africa to plan a safari?
- 25 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River