I recently came across the Fodors boards and have found them to be a wonderful resource. I am planning a honeymoon to Southern Africa for either June/July 2008 or 2009 (depending on deployment schedules). I have been to Africa 3 times before as a student but have never had a true tourist or wildlife viewing experience.
Our budget is 8000-11000 USD total excluding international airfare. Right now I am thinking about spending b/w 14-19 nights in country however my emphasis is on the quality of the experience vs quantity.
Our emphasis is on a true wilderness experience while still maintaining a romantic setting. After all it is our honeymoon. Outrageous luxury is not a priority. A list of what we find important in descending order is:
1) classic wilderness experience
2) great wildlife viewing
3) interesting activities
4) good food
5) romantic and nice lodging but not necessarily luxury
I have researched quite a few options in Southern Africa and have created several 4-5 day blocks that I am hoping to piece together to form the trip. Some may not be feasible within our budget or appropriate for a honeymoon. Hopefully yall can help me create an unforgettable experience within my budget constraints.
1) Greater Kruger area. 3-4 nights Timbavati at either Akeru, Gomo Gomo, or on the Ngala walking safari combined with 3-4 nights Sabi Sands at either Inyati, Ele. Plains, Exeter Leadwood or similar
2) 5-7 nights Cape and winelands. Split time b/w Cape Town and its environs and a few nights in Franschhoek.
3) 10-15 nights in Zambia. Combination S. Luangwa/ Lower Zambezi/ and vic falls. Lodging options include Kafunta, Luangwa River Lodge, Chongwe River Lodge, Chiawa Camp. May not be feasible due to budget.
4) 3-4 nights at San Camp. This seems out of the way given the rest of the options listed however my fiance is in love w/ meerkats and I have anthropology background so it seems like it could be an ideal final stop.
5) 3-4 nights Namibia at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge. Again perhaps out of the way but romantic.
6) 4-7 nights on S. African coast at Rocktail Bay Lodge or Thonga Beach Lodge.
I am also open to any other ideas I may not have thought of. Again I do not plan on doing all of these at the same time but want to combine a few to create an unforgettable holiday.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 creates the 3D outcome.It’s similar
- 2 Attractions in Cairo and around
- 3 Uganda Visa
- 4 Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- 5 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 6 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 7 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 8 Trying to contact Rabbi Jay Karzen, Jerusalem
- 9 South Africa/Safari/12 days in May
- 10 Is Egypt OK to visit now with family ?
- 11 "Salute Africa" travel agency
- 12 Need feedback on my itinerary
- 13 DANCING ZEBRA SAFARI CO
- 14 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 15 Calculating Conservancy Fees - Kenya's Mara North
- 16 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 17 Fes or Marrakech?
- 18 Transfer at JNB airport
- 19 Egypt - Need Help!
- 20 Your Thoughts on 5 Days in Morocco in Beg Dec
- 21 NBO Airport Transfer?
- 22 Morrocco single traveler on group trip
- 23 Safety in Dubai airport night take a taxi
- 24 Adapter Plugs
- 25 NYE in Marrakech