I recently came across the Fodors boards and have found them to be a wonderful resource. I am planning a honeymoon to Southern Africa for either June/July 2008 or 2009 (depending on deployment schedules). I have been to Africa 3 times before as a student but have never had a true tourist or wildlife viewing experience.
Our budget is 8000-11000 USD total excluding international airfare. Right now I am thinking about spending b/w 14-19 nights in country however my emphasis is on the quality of the experience vs quantity.
Our emphasis is on a true wilderness experience while still maintaining a romantic setting. After all it is our honeymoon. Outrageous luxury is not a priority. A list of what we find important in descending order is:
1) classic wilderness experience
2) great wildlife viewing
3) interesting activities
4) good food
5) romantic and nice lodging but not necessarily luxury
I have researched quite a few options in Southern Africa and have created several 4-5 day blocks that I am hoping to piece together to form the trip. Some may not be feasible within our budget or appropriate for a honeymoon. Hopefully yall can help me create an unforgettable experience within my budget constraints.
1) Greater Kruger area. 3-4 nights Timbavati at either Akeru, Gomo Gomo, or on the Ngala walking safari combined with 3-4 nights Sabi Sands at either Inyati, Ele. Plains, Exeter Leadwood or similar
2) 5-7 nights Cape and winelands. Split time b/w Cape Town and its environs and a few nights in Franschhoek.
3) 10-15 nights in Zambia. Combination S. Luangwa/ Lower Zambezi/ and vic falls. Lodging options include Kafunta, Luangwa River Lodge, Chongwe River Lodge, Chiawa Camp. May not be feasible due to budget.
4) 3-4 nights at San Camp. This seems out of the way given the rest of the options listed however my fiance is in love w/ meerkats and I have anthropology background so it seems like it could be an ideal final stop.
5) 3-4 nights Namibia at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge. Again perhaps out of the way but romantic.
6) 4-7 nights on S. African coast at Rocktail Bay Lodge or Thonga Beach Lodge.
I am also open to any other ideas I may not have thought of. Again I do not plan on doing all of these at the same time but want to combine a few to create an unforgettable holiday.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Southern African Honeymoon 2008/9 Advice Needed
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 2 Hotels in Nairobi
- 3 Uganda Travel Planning
- 4 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 5 Short stop in Dubai on our way to Bangkok for a few days
- 6 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 7 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 8 Kenya Safari: Ngerende Island Lodge, Mara Bushtops, or Porini Camps?
- 9 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 10 Green Season Safari Questions
- 11 Novice Safari question
- 12 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 13 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 14 Quick question about Kenya..
- 15 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 16 Morocco in April 2014
- 17 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 18 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 19 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 20 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 21 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 22 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 23 Israel and Jordan
- 24 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 25 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant