I recently came across the Fodors boards and have found them to be a wonderful resource. I am planning a honeymoon to Southern Africa for either June/July 2008 or 2009 (depending on deployment schedules). I have been to Africa 3 times before as a student but have never had a true tourist or wildlife viewing experience.
Our budget is 8000-11000 USD total excluding international airfare. Right now I am thinking about spending b/w 14-19 nights in country however my emphasis is on the quality of the experience vs quantity.
Our emphasis is on a true wilderness experience while still maintaining a romantic setting. After all it is our honeymoon. Outrageous luxury is not a priority. A list of what we find important in descending order is:
1) classic wilderness experience
2) great wildlife viewing
3) interesting activities
4) good food
5) romantic and nice lodging but not necessarily luxury
I have researched quite a few options in Southern Africa and have created several 4-5 day blocks that I am hoping to piece together to form the trip. Some may not be feasible within our budget or appropriate for a honeymoon. Hopefully yall can help me create an unforgettable experience within my budget constraints.
1) Greater Kruger area. 3-4 nights Timbavati at either Akeru, Gomo Gomo, or on the Ngala walking safari combined with 3-4 nights Sabi Sands at either Inyati, Ele. Plains, Exeter Leadwood or similar
2) 5-7 nights Cape and winelands. Split time b/w Cape Town and its environs and a few nights in Franschhoek.
3) 10-15 nights in Zambia. Combination S. Luangwa/ Lower Zambezi/ and vic falls. Lodging options include Kafunta, Luangwa River Lodge, Chongwe River Lodge, Chiawa Camp. May not be feasible due to budget.
4) 3-4 nights at San Camp. This seems out of the way given the rest of the options listed however my fiance is in love w/ meerkats and I have anthropology background so it seems like it could be an ideal final stop.
5) 3-4 nights Namibia at Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge. Again perhaps out of the way but romantic.
6) 4-7 nights on S. African coast at Rocktail Bay Lodge or Thonga Beach Lodge.
I am also open to any other ideas I may not have thought of. Again I do not plan on doing all of these at the same time but want to combine a few to create an unforgettable holiday.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Best Restaurants in Dubai
- 2 Dubai safari tour operator + restaurant recommendation
- 3 Al Baharana Restaurant (Bur-Dubai, Dubai, UAE)-restaurant
- 4 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 5 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 6 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 7 Insect Repellent
- 8 Marrakech, Demnate, Essaouira on slow
- 9 First Attempt South Africa Itinerary - Advice Please
- 10 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 11 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 12 Tiberias with kids
- 13 Lion World
- 14 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 15 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 16 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 17 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 18 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 19 Mpumalanga visit
- 20 safe areas to go on safari
- 21 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 22 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 23 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 24 Victoria Falls
- 25 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA