For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 2 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 3 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 4 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 5 Zambia Impressions
- 6 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 7 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 8 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 9 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 10 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 11 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 12 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 13 Dubai first time
- 14 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 15 Taste of Dubai
- 16 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 17 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 18 Canoe Safari Jan - Feb
- 19 Dubai and/or Oman
- 20 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 21 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 22 Morocco Advice
- 23 MOROCCO SOLO
- 24 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 25 Suggestions for a group tour