For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 2 Eilat - Petra and the Dead Sea
- 3 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 4 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 5 Petra in August, Petra by Night?
- 6 Need Help Organizing our time in Cape Town - 3.5 days in June
- 7 Morocco for 2 nights
- 8 HELP..visiting Oman and Qatar from Dubai
- 9 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 10 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?
- 11 Tanzania Safari
- 12 Trip Report Africa & Dubai
- 13 Israel and Petra
- 14 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 15 Magnificant Morocco
- 16 The 1st of may questions .. when to go???
- 17 Hotels in Nairobi
- 18 israel and petra
- 19 Itinerary needed for four days in Morocco
- 20 Memory cards for camera
- 21 World Travel Expert
- 22 maputo beach resorts -- safer this year?
- 23 Deep sea fishing -Seychelles
- 24 FABULOUS Safari Clothing - Might as well look FINE...
- 25 Eilat/Petra Itinerary advice and Where to stay in the Dead Sea Area?