For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 2 Drinking on safari
- 3 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 4 Shots for Morocco
- 5 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 6 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 7 Travelust
- 8 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 9 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 10 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 11 South Africa in February?
- 12 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 13 Thinking about The Gambia
- 14 Independence Day in Israel
- 15 Private Guide in Israel - Cost question
- 16 correct date of last post: free ebook available Sunday Dec 11
- 17 Dubai Sand Dune dinner
- 18 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 19 “Extensive tour around Egypt in 36 Days”
- 20 Help in finding Israel tour guide Moshe Nov
- 21 Best Time to View Big Game in South Africa
- 22 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 23 Kenya safari tour/cost
- 24 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 25 Abu Simbel or Valley of Kings?