For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Beirut
- 2 Travel Agent in DC: Seeking Reviews
- 3 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 4 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 5 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 6 Mashatu, Kgalagadi to Caprivi and a Moremi mobile with Masson Safaris
- 7 Morocco Advice
- 8 5/6 day trip in Morocco. Tips for itinerary and mode of travel
- 9 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 10 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 11 I'm going on safari for free!
- 12 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 13 tanzania serengeti northern circuit self drive
- 14 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 15 Dubai first time
- 16 Private guide, non-self drive Namibia with Wild Dog Safaris in June
- 17 Overland from the Cape to the Serengeti
- 18 Observation - Possible Limited Space During Peak Season
- 19 South Africa's Eight UNESCO Sites
- 20 2015 Family Safari Tanzania Questions
- 21 5 day Seychelles trip in December
- 22 Anyone Else heading to Egypt in December?
- 23 16 day mixed trip
- 24 7 days visit to Jordan in Dec 2014
- 25 Canadian Insurance