For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 What a wonderful holiday in Kenya!!
- 2 Side trip from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 4 Long layover at Hamad Airport, Doha
- 5 First trip to Africa in December-January
- 6 Tanzania or Kenya in October
- 7 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 8 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 9 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 10 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 11 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 12 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 13 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 14 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 15 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 16 Charity begins at Home!
- 17 Sun Safaris
- 18 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 19 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 20 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 21 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 22 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 23 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 24 Tour to Morocco
- 25 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???