I am planning to take ~6 weeks to travel to Africa for the first time. As I'll be leaving in early September and traveling through the end of October, my plan was to start in Cape Town and then move north to optimize weather and potential migration patterns.
The priority of my trip is wildlife viewing on safari. If possible, I'd like to do a safari in S Africa and another in Tanzania combined with a gorilla trip in Rwanda. I by no means need luxury accommodations, but would prefer a smaller group/camp in order to not be lost in the masses. I'm athletic and adventurous and would prefer to be with like-minded individuals, but don't think I want the full-on Overland experience with backpacking kids just out of college.
I'm wondering if anyone has a tour operator recommendation or past experience they might like to share, especially as I'll be traveling solo. As an aside, I've traveled extensively on my own and am used to not having a strict itinerary, but know I have to be extremely planned about this trip to Africa.
Thank you so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Marrakech
- 2 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 3 Dead Sea day trip
- 4 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 5 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 6 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 7 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 8 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 9 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 10 Itinerary Ideas
- 11 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 12 Travel to Botswana
- 13 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 14 Loldia House Kenya
- 15 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 16 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 17 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 18 several short safaris vs one longer one
- 19 How many Days for the Okavango Delta
- 20 Recommendations for busy coastal resorts in the Canaries
- 21 Restaurant in Cape Town
- 22 7 Days Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
- 23 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 24 Using US Dollars in Israel ?
- 25 Fraudulent Safari Operator
Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations