I am planning a trip for my Mom and my Mother In Law, who are both in their 70s and in good health with an escorted tour company. I have heard good things about Gate1 Travel, which is in their budget range, and they have a 17 day tour incl So. Africa, Botswana and Victoria Falls. They have availability in their Dec 2012, Jan, Feb and Mar tours.
I read the threads in Fodors and also did some other web based research and am trying to decide when to sign them up. It appears that summer (Dec-Mar) brings the rains, which may reduce the game viewing, but is spectacular for Vic Falls.
I also read about Malaria and the higher risk of same in the summer months with the rainfall. This is the first visit for both the Moms to the region. They do not have a bucket list of game they must view - they want to enjoy Capetown, do Chobe and Vic Falls. They would rather it not be baking hot, but I am more concerned about the malaria (although they will take the Malaria pills).
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Also, Robbens Island is not included in the Gate1 tour. Any recommendations of local tour companies would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safety issues driving the Garden Route in South Africa?
- 2 Cape Town & wine country in July? Help...
- 3 Other than car rental how to get to Kruger from Johannesburg?
- 4 Late August Cape Town/Safari/Vic Falls Advice Wanted
- 5 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 6 Marrakech
- 7 Moroccan Camel Safari
- 8 Accommodation in Cape Town
- 9 Abu Dhabi overnight stay
- 10 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 11 Audley Travel
- 12 Can "European" plugs be used in South Africa?
- 13 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 14 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 15 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 16 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 17 Lower Zambezi vs. Northern So. Luangwa
- 18 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 19 Safari in South Africa
- 20 City Day guides and Sahara adventure
- 21 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 22 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 23 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 24 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 25 Safari travel agent suggestions?
So Africa, Botswana, Vic Falls - trying to decide when to go