Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 safari private lodges - % off rack rates
- 2 Uganda Visit - A beautiful Country
- 3 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 4 HELP WITH TOURS FROM EILAT TO PETRA
- 5 Uganda Visa
- 6 Uganda Trip Report
- 7 First Sight at the Half the World-Iran
- 8 South Africa Adventure Activities - Help Needed
- 9 Trip Report: June, 2016 S. Africa, Zambia and Malawi
- 10 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 11 Trip to Petra
- 12 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 13 Cape Town -safety
- 14 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017
- 15 Trip to Merzouga
- 16 Any advise on travelling in Morocco
- 17 Swaziland in January
- 18 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 19 good internet connection option Meknes
- 20 Overnight train from Fez to Marrakesh
- 21 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 22 Safari - March 2017 Timbavati vs. Sabi Sands
- 23 Pictures & Trip Report - Self-drive: South Africa & Namibia 2008
- 24 Tanzania Safari with OAT
- 25 what size ll bean adventure duffle for safari