Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Six weeks in Africa: Tanzania + Southern Africa
- 1 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 2 Back from our self-drive in the northern circuit
- 3 Botswana Flights to the Kwando camps
- 4 Clothes in Uganda
- 5 Visit Gorilas in Uganda
- 6 Highlights and Photos: Self-drive Kenya & Tanzania August 2009
- 7 WHERE TO? Botswana? Tanzania? South Africa?
- 8 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 9 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 10 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 11 Tanzania, Kili, Camels and Horses
- 12 Homestay Accomodation
- 13 A new Tourism Region - Zambesia
- 14 Selous game reserve
- 15 Morocco with Desert Majesty
- 16 Safari and Beach in June
- 17 Grootberg Lodge & Camp Kipwe in Damaraland, Namibia
- 18 Israel and Jordan as a winter break, Pt. 2
- 19 Group Trip to Israel
- 20 Help with travel plans for Dubai
- 21 south african safari in Nov/Dec
- 22 Predator Safari Njema with the KiliWarriors!
- 23 Crossing from Israel to Jordan: Need advice and encouragement. And Advice.
- 24 Dubai Airport to cruise terminal
- 25 Exciting places in Dubai??