Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Six weeks in Africa: Tanzania + Southern Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 2 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 3 Cape Town Safety?
- 4 first time family safari in August 2014
- 5 BOTSWANA - Maun (Okavango) to Chobe - 4x4 self drive...
- 6 Memory cards for camera
- 7 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 8 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 9 Sabi Sands camps
- 10 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 11 London to Tel aviv What to expect at BG /Trans to Tel aviv / booking.com
- 12 place to sleep near airport for a 6 hour layover .. switching airports
- 13 Help with Rwanda trip
- 14 History Of Mount Kilimanjaro
- 15 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?
- 16 Tel Aviv beaches
- 17 trip report, morocco
- 18 Marrakech to Fes by bus
- 19 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 20 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 21 Morocco for 2 nights
- 22 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 23 Hotels in Nairobi
- 24 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 25 Rwanda trip report