Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Six weeks in Africa: Tanzania + Southern Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 2 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 3 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 4 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 5 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 6 Questions about Chobe
- 7 What camera to use on safari
- 8 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 9 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 10 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 11 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 12 To go to Israel or not?
- 13 Bidair at JNB
- 14 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 15 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 16 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 17 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 18 Eastern Cape Lodges
- 19 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 20 Dubai > Oman?
- 21 Dubai > Seychelles hop
- 22 Botswana Green Season 2014/15 Camp discounted pricing
- 23 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 24 Morocco Tour: Marrakech Fes Merzouga Camel Trek in Sahara
- 25 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Lake Manze Camp