Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Six weeks in Africa: Tanzania + Southern Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 South Africa in February?
- 2 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 3 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 4 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 5 MOROCCO CAMEL TREKKING
- 6 Buy links
- 7 Info for those considering gorilla trekking in Rwanda
- 8 Car Rentals in Israel
- 9 Dubai for New Years Eve - Fireworks, Itinerary
- 10 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 11 Morocco to portugal
- 12 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 13 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 14 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 15 Independence Day in Israel
- 16 Drinking on safari
- 17 Fodor's 100 Hotel Award Winners
- 18 Travelust
- 19 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 20 Shots for Morocco
- 21 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 22 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 23 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 24 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 25 Thinking about The Gambia