Me and a few friends have six weeks in July and August to travel this summer, and we are starting to put together an itinerary. Our initial idea is to do a two part trip consisting of the following.
Part 1: Tanzania
We heard that June is the ideal time to visit the Serengeti for a chance to see migrating wildebeests cross the Grumeti river. Would early July most likely be too late for this? What is the ideal amount of time to spend there? Also, are there other parks we should consider instead of the Serengeti? I pose this last question because the wikitravel site actually says that the Serengeti gets packed with tourists, and Ruaha National Park is (according to locals) much better.
Part 2: Southern Africa
In the second leg, we are hoping to do a road trip that starts in Capetown, goes up the Skeleton Coast into Etosha, cut east and visit the Okavango Delta, before turning south and ending the trip in Johannesburg. What would be the ideal amount of time for this type of trip, and would it be worth doing in mid July / early August? Any driving concerns we should be aware of? Route suggestions or interesting stops along the way?
Would love to hear any general feedback on this plan, or any hidden "off the beaten path" destinations that we can incorporate. My friends and I are experienced at traveling in developing countries, and generally enjoy active, outdoor activities. None of us have been to Africa before though, so we would also be interested in visiting unique towns to experience the local culture.
Thanks in advance for the help
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 2 Trips to Uganda: my experience
- 2 Elandskloof Farm Cottages near Greyton in the Western Cape
- 3 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 4 Duba activities - help deciding
- 5 Itinerary Help - South Africa
- 6 Itinerary Input for Northern Israel with Kids
- 7 Private Guide for Cairo
- 8 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 9 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 10 Texting from US to Israel
- 11 Itinerary Ideas
- 12 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 13 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 14 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 15 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 16 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 17 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 18 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 19 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 20 Passport pages stuck together
- 21 Self drive tour south africa
- 22 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
- 23 Flight to italy then To Romani
- 24 Minor Children & Birth Certificates?
- 25 Eilat