The past 2 years my partner and I have done self-drive safaris in South Africa. I would like to go back, however he is interested in doing something similiar but in another country. What we have done in the past is rent a car and stay in one of the national rest camps, cooking our own meals mostly and sleeping in a bungalow or tent with private bathrooms. I have done a lot of reading and haven't seen anything similiar for the price we have been paying in SA (about 80 euro a night total for 2 people plus about 25 Euro a night for the car, plus park fees but already have a Wild Card for this). Any ideas ? I could give up the private bathroom from time to time for shared facilities if necessary but I have a hard time with the idea of a spade/hole setup. The trip is for end of April 2013 for about 3 weeks. Thanks in advance.
Self-drive safari ideas, but not South Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 2 Johannesburg...?
- 3 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 4 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Jordan safety concerns
- 7 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 8 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 9 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 10 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 11 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 12 A family safari in Tanzania
- 13 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 14 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 15 Uganda Trip Report
- 16 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 17 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 18 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 19 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 20 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 21 Boutique hotels in israel
- 22 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 23 Short layover at JNB
- 24 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 25 Uganda or Rwanda?