I've read the threads similar to this question but find it doesn't quite match up to our situation. We are a couple looking to return to Africa for safari as a tenth-anniversary celebration. Our first trip was to Kenya in March 2002, which we very much enjoyed and from which we learned so much. Life-changing, as many say.
We are debating between returning to Kenya (and possibly adding Tanzania) or going to S Africa and going on safari in private reserves near Kruger, as well as going to Botswana, and also a trip to Victoria Falls. The trip would be approximately 18-21 days total, including the LOOONG flight from Hawaii.
1) TIME OF YEAR FOR GAME VIEWING--charts I've consulted indicate the later we can go in June, the better, and S Africa seems to have a slight edge.
2) TIME OF YEAR AND STAYING WARM--we are tropical climate residents and are a little leery of the lows in S Africa this time of year (particularly when we read things like "central heating is unheard of").
3) CROWDS--we didn't like being surrounded by humans so much in Kenya--lots of tourists, lots of vehicles running around--it was a touch like Yellowstone in summer. S Africa seems to have the edge on this one. Is this correct? Or are there places where we can feel more on our own in Kenya? We are also considering, in either location, a private rather than group tour (because of 9/11, our last Kenya trip ended up being a private tour because we were the only ones that showed up, but that sure didn't mean we weren't surrounded by vehicles in the parks).
4) COST--This will likely be our last trip of any significant length, let alone to Africa, for the foreseeable future (unless we do vacation swapping--not an option on this one!). We want to do it in a way very suited to our desires, even if it means spending a little more. Seeing animals, spending time in the wild, spending time in nature and quiet are the top ones. Smaller lodges are a very close second. What budget is reasonable for each location?
If you sense a bias in these questions, you're right on the money: I'm leaning toward S Africa--spouse is leaning toward Kenya. But I'm shooting in the dark--sure would like to hear from people who have been to both.
Mahalo for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://www.healthexpertproduct.com/helix6/
- 2 Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
- 3 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
- 4 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 5 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 6 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
- 7 honeymoon place
- 8 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 9 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 10 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 11 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 12 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 13 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 14 Yom Hazikaron
- 15 Yom Haatzmaut
- 16 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 17 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 18 recomendation on African Safari company
- 19 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 20 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 21 One extra day in Jordan
- 22 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
- 23 Where to stay for a night in Johannesburg?
- 24 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 25 April Budget Safari - Tanzania