Just returned from 2 weeks in Rwanda. A great country, beautiful landscape, and warm friendly people. Two thumbs up!! My first African experience. Our method of travel was more of a mid-range budget including using some public trans.
1) General tourist stuff in Kigali, visited with local friends in Remera (sp?).
2) The Gorilla Trek out of Ruhengeri, including a visit to a Pygmy tribe, and the Virunga lodge (wow!).
3) 2 nights on the beach in Gisenyi (awesome).
4) Nyungwe walks, monkeys and awesome birds.
Had a great time and hope to give a full report soon. I have many thoughts and advice to share. Ran out of time and did not make Akagera. Bradt guide was helpful as was this site! You can basically double the 2004 Bradt prices btw. Special thanks to everyone in this forum who have taken the time to share your experiences, I am greatful for your input and information, it helped!
Specific questions are welcome (Lynn?), and I'll do my best to help you...
If you are ready for, and/or like, third world travel-Go for it! A special place indeed.
Amarhora- from Vermont.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 2 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 3 CAUTION! Do not deal with IRANIANVISA.COM
- 4 Isreal
- 5 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 6 Binocular rentals
- 7 Namibia: any suggestion for a 3 weeks self drive roundtrip?
- 8 Marrakech
- 9 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 10 Dead Sea day trip
- 11 Victoria and Albert Cape Town renovation status
- 12 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 13 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 14 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 15 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 16 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 17 Itinerary Ideas
- 18 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 19 Travel to Botswana
- 20 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 21 Loldia House Kenya
- 22 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 23 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 24 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 25 several short safaris vs one longer one