Just returned from 2 weeks in Rwanda. A great country, beautiful landscape, and warm friendly people. Two thumbs up!! My first African experience. Our method of travel was more of a mid-range budget including using some public trans.
1) General tourist stuff in Kigali, visited with local friends in Remera (sp?).
2) The Gorilla Trek out of Ruhengeri, including a visit to a Pygmy tribe, and the Virunga lodge (wow!).
3) 2 nights on the beach in Gisenyi (awesome).
4) Nyungwe walks, monkeys and awesome birds.
Had a great time and hope to give a full report soon. I have many thoughts and advice to share. Ran out of time and did not make Akagera. Bradt guide was helpful as was this site! You can basically double the 2004 Bradt prices btw. Special thanks to everyone in this forum who have taken the time to share your experiences, I am greatful for your input and information, it helped!
Specific questions are welcome (Lynn?), and I'll do my best to help you...
If you are ready for, and/or like, third world travel-Go for it! A special place indeed.
Amarhora- from Vermont.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Texting from US to Israel
- 2 Itinerary Ideas
- 3 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 4 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 5 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 6 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 7 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 8 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 9 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 10 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 11 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 12 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 13 Passport pages stuck together
- 14 Self drive tour south africa
- 15 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 16 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
- 17 Flight to italy then To Romani
- 18 Minor Children & Birth Certificates?
- 19 Duba activities - help deciding
- 20 Eilat
- 21 recommendations for AI islands
- 22 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 23 Petra from Israel
- 24 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 25 What makes South Africa unique & different from other places in the world?