Just returned from 2 weeks in Rwanda. A great country, beautiful landscape, and warm friendly people. Two thumbs up!! My first African experience. Our method of travel was more of a mid-range budget including using some public trans.
1) General tourist stuff in Kigali, visited with local friends in Remera (sp?).
2) The Gorilla Trek out of Ruhengeri, including a visit to a Pygmy tribe, and the Virunga lodge (wow!).
3) 2 nights on the beach in Gisenyi (awesome).
4) Nyungwe walks, monkeys and awesome birds.
Had a great time and hope to give a full report soon. I have many thoughts and advice to share. Ran out of time and did not make Akagera. Bradt guide was helpful as was this site! You can basically double the 2004 Bradt prices btw. Special thanks to everyone in this forum who have taken the time to share your experiences, I am greatful for your input and information, it helped!
Specific questions are welcome (Lynn?), and I'll do my best to help you...
If you are ready for, and/or like, third world travel-Go for it! A special place indeed.
Amarhora- from Vermont.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Yellow Fever Vaccine for Southern Africa
- 2 Uganda, Rwanda, and Zanzibar-Brief Trip Report
- 3 Guidance on Single Supplement Fess
- 4 Done with tourist activity/ two fully free solo days
- 5 Help me plan a family safari for three generations!
- 6 Victoria Falls 3 day visit from a month in SA
- 7 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 8 Victoria Falls
- 9 Cape Town
- 10 Trip Insurance for Africa Trip
- 11 Botswana - Mobile Safari Operator Recommendations?
- 12 Morocco vs Turkey
- 13 Dual Citizenship- Travelling question
- 14 Affidavit document for sole parent traveling to SA with child
- 15 Two Nights in Tangiers
- 16 Nairobi, where to stay
- 17 Widerness Lodges
- 18 Timbavati or Klaserie Game Lodge Options
- 19 Help plan African Safari
- 20 Help planning a first safari on a budget?
- 21 Tipping on Safari
- 22 THE PANORAMA ROUTE
- 23 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 24 Cape Town -safety
- 25 NBO Airport Transfer?