Back in 2005, through a dear friend of mine at the British Embassy I met the British Ambassador's driver. As a driver for the embassy he has been on extensive training for defensive driving courses etc so is an incredibly reliable and safe driver. He has since set up himself and his brother as freelance tourist drivers and tour guides. They are both wonderful guys - friendly, trustworthy and exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating to their guests, with relationships and connections at all the major accommodations and visitor points around the country, and they also drive folks over into Uganda and Tanzania. While they both do a fair amount of work for the other reputable tour companies in Kigali, they are also available to be used direct, which I'm sure is cheaper than using a tour company. Charles Karenzi is the ex-driver for the ambassador and organizes the schedules for himself and his brother Isaac. He can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org or +250788302289 and I really can't recommend them enough. Plus it is nice to see local people succeeding in reputable business that supports their families rather than the majority of the money going to some big tour company based outside the country you are traveling in. Hope that helps!
Rwanda: Tip for anyone looking for a reputable driver/ guide
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 2 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 3 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 4 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 5 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 8 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 9 Charity begins at Home!
- 10 Sun Safaris
- 11 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 12 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 13 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 14 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 15 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 16 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 17 Tour to Morocco
- 18 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 19 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 20 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 21 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 22 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 23 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 24 Uganda again
- 25 November at victoria falls