Back in 2005, through a dear friend of mine at the British Embassy I met the British Ambassador's driver. As a driver for the embassy he has been on extensive training for defensive driving courses etc so is an incredibly reliable and safe driver. He has since set up himself and his brother as freelance tourist drivers and tour guides. They are both wonderful guys - friendly, trustworthy and exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating to their guests, with relationships and connections at all the major accommodations and visitor points around the country, and they also drive folks over into Uganda and Tanzania. While they both do a fair amount of work for the other reputable tour companies in Kigali, they are also available to be used direct, which I'm sure is cheaper than using a tour company. Charles Karenzi is the ex-driver for the ambassador and organizes the schedules for himself and his brother Isaac. He can be reached on email@example.com or +250788302289 and I really can't recommend them enough. Plus it is nice to see local people succeeding in reputable business that supports their families rather than the majority of the money going to some big tour company based outside the country you are traveling in. Hope that helps!
Rwanda: Tip for anyone looking for a reputable driver/ guide
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 2 Anybody used Classic Africa to plan a safari?
- 3 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 4 Two Weeks in Capetown, want to add a safari
- 5 Safari buddies - late August
- 6 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 7 Kruger
- 8 Americans in Iran - an amazing 1-month trip
- 9 Dennis's Trip Report: Caprivi Strip, Vic Falls and Hwange Park, Zimbabwe
- 10 Best African safari destination – in addition to Masai Mara Conservancy?
- 11 Morocco Trip Report
- 12 FRS Ferry between Tarifa and Tangier
- 13 Seychelles, Mauritius and South Africa Trip Report
- 14 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 15 Migration into the Mara early this year
- 16 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 17 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 18 Wild Dog Pups and Brown Hyenas: A Volunteer Adventure in South Africa
- 19 Wondering about airfare for 2016 Kenya safari
- 20 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 21 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 22 Help needed getting from Tel Aviv Airport to Eilat
- 23 Car Rentals in Israel
- 24 PORT SAID/CAIRO - 1 DAY off cruise ship
- 25 Travelling with my elderly Mum to Jordan, Israel and PA