Back in 2005, through a dear friend of mine at the British Embassy I met the British Ambassador's driver. As a driver for the embassy he has been on extensive training for defensive driving courses etc so is an incredibly reliable and safe driver. He has since set up himself and his brother as freelance tourist drivers and tour guides. They are both wonderful guys - friendly, trustworthy and exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating to their guests, with relationships and connections at all the major accommodations and visitor points around the country, and they also drive folks over into Uganda and Tanzania. While they both do a fair amount of work for the other reputable tour companies in Kigali, they are also available to be used direct, which I'm sure is cheaper than using a tour company. Charles Karenzi is the ex-driver for the ambassador and organizes the schedules for himself and his brother Isaac. He can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org or +250788302289 and I really can't recommend them enough. Plus it is nice to see local people succeeding in reputable business that supports their families rather than the majority of the money going to some big tour company based outside the country you are traveling in. Hope that helps!
Rwanda: Tip for anyone looking for a reputable driver/ guide
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 2 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 3 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 4 A family safari in Tanzania
- 5 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 6 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 7 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 8 Uganda Trip Report
- 9 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 10 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 11 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 12 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 13 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 14 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 15 Boutique hotels in israel
- 16 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 17 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 18 Short layover at JNB
- 19 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 20 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 21 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 22 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 23 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?
- 24 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 25 Safari in Tanzania with Zinga African Safaris