Back in 2005, through a dear friend of mine at the British Embassy I met the British Ambassador's driver. As a driver for the embassy he has been on extensive training for defensive driving courses etc so is an incredibly reliable and safe driver. He has since set up himself and his brother as freelance tourist drivers and tour guides. They are both wonderful guys - friendly, trustworthy and exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating to their guests, with relationships and connections at all the major accommodations and visitor points around the country, and they also drive folks over into Uganda and Tanzania. While they both do a fair amount of work for the other reputable tour companies in Kigali, they are also available to be used direct, which I'm sure is cheaper than using a tour company. Charles Karenzi is the ex-driver for the ambassador and organizes the schedules for himself and his brother Isaac. He can be reached on email@example.com or +250788302289 and I really can't recommend them enough. Plus it is nice to see local people succeeding in reputable business that supports their families rather than the majority of the money going to some big tour company based outside the country you are traveling in. Hope that helps!
Rwanda: Tip for anyone looking for a reputable driver/ guide
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Looking for out of the way places
- 2 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 3 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 4 February vs March in Tanzania - Dueling Trip Reports
- 5 Tanzania Safari
- 6 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 7 Sabi Sands camps
- 8 AHLA Tanzania Mt. Kilimanjaro & Safari 4 days
- 9 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 10 trip report, morocco
- 11 Photos from Sept 2013 Safari to Uganda
- 12 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 13 16 Days in South Africa (Victoria Falls, Zimbawe & Botswana)
- 14 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 15 East Africa summer 2014
- 16 Cape Town Safety?
- 17 first time family safari in August 2014
- 18 BOTSWANA - Maun (Okavango) to Chobe - 4x4 self drive...
- 19 Memory cards for camera
- 20 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 21 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 22 London to Tel aviv What to expect at BG /Trans to Tel aviv / booking.com
- 23 place to sleep near airport for a 6 hour layover .. switching airports
- 24 Help with Rwanda trip
- 25 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?