Back in 2005, through a dear friend of mine at the British Embassy I met the British Ambassador's driver. As a driver for the embassy he has been on extensive training for defensive driving courses etc so is an incredibly reliable and safe driver. He has since set up himself and his brother as freelance tourist drivers and tour guides. They are both wonderful guys - friendly, trustworthy and exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating to their guests, with relationships and connections at all the major accommodations and visitor points around the country, and they also drive folks over into Uganda and Tanzania. While they both do a fair amount of work for the other reputable tour companies in Kigali, they are also available to be used direct, which I'm sure is cheaper than using a tour company. Charles Karenzi is the ex-driver for the ambassador and organizes the schedules for himself and his brother Isaac. He can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org or +250788302289 and I really can't recommend them enough. Plus it is nice to see local people succeeding in reputable business that supports their families rather than the majority of the money going to some big tour company based outside the country you are traveling in. Hope that helps!
Rwanda: Tip for anyone looking for a reputable driver/ guide
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 India
- 2 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 3 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 4 Ideas about the trip.
- 5 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 6 3 days in Teheran
- 7 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 8 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 9 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 10 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 11 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 12 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 13 Questions about Chobe
- 14 What camera to use on safari
- 15 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 16 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 17 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 18 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 19 To go to Israel or not?
- 20 Bidair at JNB
- 21 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 22 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 23 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 24 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 25 Eastern Cape Lodges