I just wanted to let you know that our quest to do a rhino conservation project in Zululand Rhino Reserve is on. We couldn't be more excited - it was like Christmas morning when I got the email that it had been arranged. I just wanted to give you some details.
I found the Zululand Rhino Reserve when planning our S Africa trip in 2011 - it was created through the WWF as a black rhino territory expansion. It is right next to Thanda and across the N2 highway from Mkuze NP (which now has an unfenced border with Phinda). There is lots of speculation that the private game reserves are talking about taking down their fences and creating one big reserve. Hluhluwe-ImFolozi NP is just south of there - the place that saved the last of the rhinos the last time we (humans) tried to exterminate them. ZRR is now Big 5 - they got lions in 2011 after we were there.
Here's where I found it:
At the top of that page, there are other projects they are working on (under conservation projects). There are also community projects. Maybe one or more of them interest you.
If you want to donate:
We are trying to raise more donations to allow for another rhino to be tagged, chipped and ear notched while we have the crew - veterinarian, helicopter pilot, animal handlers - there next month. Please let me know if you are interested! This is my version of crowd funding.
We are trying to include part of the local community to let them know that the wildlife is more valuable alive than dead.
Next time you visit, please consider doing something in the area you are going to. There are so many projects, and we can all do a little.
Thanks for putting up with my latest cause. Again!!
Rhino conservation in S Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Has anybody used this tour company overmorocco.com?
- 2 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 3 Hotels in Iran
- 4 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 5 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 6 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 7 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 8 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 9 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 10 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 11 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 12 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 13 Dubai first time
- 14 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 15 Taste of Dubai
- 16 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 17 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 18 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 19 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 20 Canoe Safari Jan - Feb
- 21 Dubai and/or Oman
- 22 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 23 Independent travel to Morocco - English speaking driver and A/C car needed
- 24 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 25 Morocco Advice