I just wanted to let you know that our quest to do a rhino conservation project in Zululand Rhino Reserve is on. We couldn't be more excited - it was like Christmas morning when I got the email that it had been arranged. I just wanted to give you some details.
I found the Zululand Rhino Reserve when planning our S Africa trip in 2011 - it was created through the WWF as a black rhino territory expansion. It is right next to Thanda and across the N2 highway from Mkuze NP (which now has an unfenced border with Phinda). There is lots of speculation that the private game reserves are talking about taking down their fences and creating one big reserve. Hluhluwe-ImFolozi NP is just south of there - the place that saved the last of the rhinos the last time we (humans) tried to exterminate them. ZRR is now Big 5 - they got lions in 2011 after we were there.
Here's where I found it:
At the top of that page, there are other projects they are working on (under conservation projects). There are also community projects. Maybe one or more of them interest you.
If you want to donate:
We are trying to raise more donations to allow for another rhino to be tagged, chipped and ear notched while we have the crew - veterinarian, helicopter pilot, animal handlers - there next month. Please let me know if you are interested! This is my version of crowd funding.
We are trying to include part of the local community to let them know that the wildlife is more valuable alive than dead.
Next time you visit, please consider doing something in the area you are going to. There are so many projects, and we can all do a little.
Thanks for putting up with my latest cause. Again!!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Guide needed in Cape Town?
- 2 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 3 South Africa safari, Cape town self drive trip plan- many questions
- 4 Cape Town Itinerary
- 5 SOUTH AFRICAN SAFARI TRIP-JULY 2015
- 6 Gorrillas in Rwanda
- 7 Malawi with kiddos
- 8 Zimbabwe traveling solo
- 9 Southern Africa Safari Trip—Best Vacation Ever!!
- 10 Extended wait time at JNB airport
- 11 Capetown, Garden Route & Safari
- 12 Mauritius info request please
- 13 South Africa- Capetown/Safari Planning Help Please
- 14 Tanzania and Kenya tour company?
- 15 New Visa Rules on arrival for Kenya W.E.F 01 July 2015
- 16 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 17 WiFi on Safari
- 18 Travel within Africa
- 19 Cape Town - things to do IN THE CITY and where to stay?
- 20 In South Africa, What do Hotels Mean by "Tea and Coffee-making Facilities"?
- 21 Israel itinerary planning
- 22 Africa, closer than ever before?
- 23 Capetown 3-day itinerary?
- 24 My experience of 8 day tour in Morocco
- 25 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi