I just wanted to let you know that our quest to do a rhino conservation project in Zululand Rhino Reserve is on. We couldn't be more excited - it was like Christmas morning when I got the email that it had been arranged. I just wanted to give you some details.
I found the Zululand Rhino Reserve when planning our S Africa trip in 2011 - it was created through the WWF as a black rhino territory expansion. It is right next to Thanda and across the N2 highway from Mkuze NP (which now has an unfenced border with Phinda). There is lots of speculation that the private game reserves are talking about taking down their fences and creating one big reserve. Hluhluwe-ImFolozi NP is just south of there - the place that saved the last of the rhinos the last time we (humans) tried to exterminate them. ZRR is now Big 5 - they got lions in 2011 after we were there.
Here's where I found it:
At the top of that page, there are other projects they are working on (under conservation projects). There are also community projects. Maybe one or more of them interest you.
If you want to donate:
We are trying to raise more donations to allow for another rhino to be tagged, chipped and ear notched while we have the crew - veterinarian, helicopter pilot, animal handlers - there next month. Please let me know if you are interested! This is my version of crowd funding.
We are trying to include part of the local community to let them know that the wildlife is more valuable alive than dead.
Next time you visit, please consider doing something in the area you are going to. There are so many projects, and we can all do a little.
Thanks for putting up with my latest cause. Again!!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 15 days Morocco Itinerary Help please
- 2 What is worth seeing in November?
- 3 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 4 luggage for a weird itinerary
- 5 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 6 where to spend a night near JRO airport?
- 7 Marrakech - Which area to stay?
- 8 Middle Atlas or Chefchaouen
- 9 Trip to Merzouga
- 10 Lodge/Camp in Ruaha National Park
- 11 Uganda Visa
- 12 Border crossing (Bots-Zim-Zam)
- 13 Active Family's First Trip to Africa - South Africa or Botswana
- 14 Which one for safari: Bulele or Sabi Sands at Kruger - South Africa?
- 15 Help choosing Game Reserves in Kruger National Park, SouthAfrica
- 16 Purchase Tanzanite in Arusha/Tanzania
- 17 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 18 safari private lodges - % off rack rates
- 19 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 20 Amazing Kenya - a must visit
- 21 beach visit after safari
- 22 Luggage restrictions-Kenya? Diani Beach?
- 23 Cape Town -safety
- 24 Uganda Trip Report
- 25 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017