I just return from 10 days in Kenya.
First many tks to every fodorites who helped me.
I stay 3 days in Nairobi in Laico Regency in a Conference - and we hated. The Hotel is old and expensive.
After that we rent a car (suv) , and self-drive to Nakuru. We stay in Sarova 2 nights.
We liked. But is quite expensive (350 usd/ per room/ FB) + parks fee.
The lake is nice. The park is small but very friendly.
We hate the minibus - they drive to fast - lots of dust - they do not respect animals...
Then we drove to Naivasha...and we really hated.
We stay at Simba Lodge for 2 night...and was a very bad choice.
First they gave us a price...because we live in Africa, then they said that they must charge us as non residents, and the price double...we paid 0,5 usd for 1 minute of internet!
Every thing is expensive...they do not have a boat...they do not explain nothing about Navaisha...
For an adapter they asked me 20 usd for guarantee...
And we really do not find much to do...we went to river (5 min walking) only once...
We try to do a boat safari but as far as I realised the boat safari was only around the island...1 hour safari...
Then we drove to Crater Lake….and that it was really nice.
At the end, when we checked out at Simba Lodge we found that they are using a different rate because my husband paid with credit card. The increase was 17% plus...we felt really angry and I asked for the complain book...they said that they do not have!!!
Then after 30 minutes...the manager finally invited us to come in, and told us, that if we pay in cash he will cancelled the previous payment by visa...and the price would drop 17%!!!So we paid in cash.
Then we drove to Nairobi and catch the flight to Mara. We stayed 3 nights at Governors Camp.
We find the place very nice. Very comfortable. Expensive...but we find it was value for money!.
In our first night we almost stay a wake all night...because we had eleven elephants around our tent all night and I felt quite nervous...
But the other 2 nights, we only have hippos...and I slept very well.
The staff is very nice, they are there to help you, all the time...our guide was very nice also. We share the vehicle with other couple, from UK and we find the experience great.
The game was fantastic. We almost saw a kill (cheats) and we saw lot of lions having their daily meal!
We saw a leopard. We saw the migration, but not the river cross...as the animals seamed too smart to get in the river with so many crocs...
We really loved to be at Governors Camp. We loved the Mara.
When we return to Nairobi we stayed one night at Stanley. And we loved.
It is cheaper then Regency (250 usd - Stanley / 265 usd - Regency), and much, much better. The service, the quality of rooms...
So for now I have mixed feelings about Kenya.
We travel a lot in Africa (Namibia/ South Africa/ Botswana), and it is difficult to find expensive places where they do not respect tourists...
At Kenya we found places that we have to pay a lot and the service/ conditions...are above expectations!
But tks god we have been in Nakuro (I would give 7 of 10); Governors Camp (9/10) and Stanley (8/10).
Tks a lot to all you
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Batterie pc portable Asus X53S
- 2 http://www.healthyapplechat.com/viatropin-reviews/
- 3 Thane Shifting @ http://www.5th.co.in/packers-and-movers-thane/
- 4 http://www.5th.co.in/packers-and-movers-navi-mumbai/ # Shift Easy
- 5 http://www.5th.co.in/packers-and-movers-pune/ # Get Move Pune
- 6 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 7 help with itinerary please
- 8 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 9 advise on joburg pls!
- 10 Advice on Cape Town in July
- 11 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 12 12 days Cape Town and Pilanesburg Itinerary help
- 13 Cape Town weather dependent activities
- 14 Luggage restrictions
- 15 Seeking recommendation: Beach hotel in Netanya
- 16 Spain and Morocco over 90 Days
- 17 Where to holiday in late June/early July 2017?
- 18 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 19 A weeks trip to Egypt.couple with a year old babys first birthday!!
- 20 Township Tour Guide
- 21 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 22 Gorilla Trekking Rwanda 3 months Pregnant
- 23 ISRAEL TRIP
- 24 Transportation from Casablanca to Rabat
- 25 South Africa Honeymoon: Sabi Sands Reserve Lodge Recommendation
I just return from 10 days in Kenya.