hey folks...in need of some transpo advice (and more advice later I'm sure). I'm part of a small film crew going to South Africa and Swaziland in just about a month to film a short documentary. We are figuring out logistics right now. We do have contacts there on the ground, but I'm looking into seeing what it would be like to rent a vehicle at JNB airport for our 15 day trip. We'd be driving the next morning to Swaziland (anybody know how long that will take?) and we'd use it to get around in Mbabane and rural areas too. We'd drive back to J'burg after a week and use the vehicle for a week around J'burg. We can get a truck from Hertz for just over US$1100 for the whole time, which is just a bit cheaper than air tickets for the 4 of us roundtrip between JNB and Swaziland. But we still need transportation around each place... Any advice on all this? Can we even rent a car legally? We're all US citizens with US drivers licenses. Would we need a local driver? Is getting used to driving on the left difficult? I've heard there are a lot of car accidents, any insurance advice? We're staying at the Mountain Inn in Swaziland. Any hotel suggestions for J'burg?
renting a van/truck/SUV in J'burg
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 UAE Desert Safari
- 2 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 3 Where to go after visit to Uganda in late March/early April
- 4 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 5 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 6 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 7 South Africa in February?
- 8 best camera for semi-novice for safari in tanzania & kenya (nikon p500)
- 9 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 10 Riad Saturday Night vs. Riad Dar El Janoub
- 11 Dubai first time
- 12 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 13 Zambia Impressions
- 14 Taste of Dubai
- 15 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 16 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 17 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 18 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 19 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 20 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 21 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 22 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 23 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 24 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 25 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?