hey folks...in need of some transpo advice (and more advice later I'm sure). I'm part of a small film crew going to South Africa and Swaziland in just about a month to film a short documentary. We are figuring out logistics right now. We do have contacts there on the ground, but I'm looking into seeing what it would be like to rent a vehicle at JNB airport for our 15 day trip. We'd be driving the next morning to Swaziland (anybody know how long that will take?) and we'd use it to get around in Mbabane and rural areas too. We'd drive back to J'burg after a week and use the vehicle for a week around J'burg. We can get a truck from Hertz for just over US$1100 for the whole time, which is just a bit cheaper than air tickets for the 4 of us roundtrip between JNB and Swaziland. But we still need transportation around each place... Any advice on all this? Can we even rent a car legally? We're all US citizens with US drivers licenses. Would we need a local driver? Is getting used to driving on the left difficult? I've heard there are a lot of car accidents, any insurance advice? We're staying at the Mountain Inn in Swaziland. Any hotel suggestions for J'burg?
renting a van/truck/SUV in J'burg
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Hotels in Nairobi
- 2 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 3 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 4 Uganda Travel Planning
- 5 Short stop in Dubai on our way to Bangkok for a few days
- 6 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 7 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 8 Kenya Safari: Ngerende Island Lodge, Mara Bushtops, or Porini Camps?
- 9 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 10 Green Season Safari Questions
- 11 Novice Safari question
- 12 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 13 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 14 Quick question about Kenya..
- 15 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 16 Morocco in April 2014
- 17 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 18 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 19 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 20 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 21 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 22 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 23 Israel and Jordan
- 24 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 25 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant