I am feeling pretty good about my plan for our 2 weeks in Morocco this Dec-Jan, but am trying to refine a few details. We are an architect couple and tend to be focused on architecture and urban sites in our travels. We're not uninterested in the outdoors, but are planning to skip the dunes.. we don't want to be rushing around too much. Trying to limit the travel.
Was originally trying to fit in a visit to Essaouria and Chefchaouen, but cut them due to distances/travel time. Kind of want to hit the most historical and interesting cities, as well as the kasbahs and oases.
Here is our plan, please let me know what you think:
Day 1: arrive Casablanca (afternoon)
Day 2: Casablanca - Hasan II mosque, art deco buildings, and dealing with jetlag
Day 3: fly to Ourzazate (am), rent car, drive to Dades Gorge. (maybe Ait Ben Haddou first)
*question: looking to stay at Chez Pierre.. any recommendations regarding staying IN the gorge (i.e. Chez pierre) vs in Boulmalne?
*Also: planning to skip Todra, I don't think we have time for both..
Day 4: explore the gorge and make our way back down the Dades valley, exploring kasbahs along the way. Night in Skoura.
Day 5: Head to the Draa valley: explore kasbahs, stay in Agdz or Tamnougalt
Day 6: Draa valley - day trip to see Kasbahs, night back in Tamnougalt again
Day 7: back to Ourzazate, return the car, hop a bus to Marrakech
*question: I've read the mountain passes could be closed due to snow.. this will be January.. any idea if we should worry about this?
Day 8: Marrakech
Day 9: Marrakech
Day 10: Train Marrakech to Rabat (4.5 hours), stay in Rabat
Day 11: Train Rabat to Meknes (2.5 hours), stay in Meknes
Day 12: Train to Fes, stay in Fes
Day 13: Fes
Day 14: Train back to Casablanca (4.5).
Day 15: early flight out.
The flight Casablanca to Ourzazate seems to save us a lot of time and is pretty cheap anyway. In Dades and Draa, seems like renting a car is cheaper/easier than hiring a guide. And if we went by bus I don't think we'd be able to stop and look at stuff along the way. Does anyone have advice for getting around and sightseeing in Dades/Draa?
Appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 61 year old traveling to Kenya/Tanzania by myself
- 2 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 3 Self drive tour south africa
- 4 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 5 Itinerary Help - South Africa
- 6 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 7 2 Trips to Uganda: my experience
- 8 Elandskloof Farm Cottages near Greyton in the Western Cape
- 9 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 10 Duba activities - help deciding
- 11 Itinerary Input for Northern Israel with Kids
- 12 Private Guide for Cairo
- 13 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 14 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 15 Texting from US to Israel
- 16 Itinerary Ideas
- 17 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 18 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 19 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 20 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 21 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 22 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 23 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 24 Passport pages stuck together
- 25 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?