I'll be going to South Africa in early April. I'll be in Pretoria for work and will then have 4-5 days for sightseeing. It's my first time in South Africa, and I know that's not much! So I turn to y'all, the forum experts, for advice.
My main priority is a safari. I've done them before but was never able to make it to Kruger. I'm thinking this is my opportunity - I'd like to do a 3-day tour in and out of Pretoria (I can't drive). But I know that Kruger is extremely far; I've heard it can take as much as 9 hours each way?? Especially if the tour has to pick up others.
So I'm wondering if I should give up on the Kruger idea and aim for Pilanesberg. Is it as spectacular, as full of life? I'm longing to see herds of giraffe and zebra and antelope and elephants, the occasional lion or cheetah, and even rhino, which I've never seen before! Is Pilanesberg comparable to Kruger? (I've heard it's got great birds, which is cool but not my priority)
And in either case, does anyone have recommendations for safari companies they have used??? I'm struggling to identify good ones online. Plus I'll need a company that can pick up/drop off in Pretoria.
Here is the tentative itinerary I've drawn up:
- Day 1: sightseeing in Pretoria
- Day 2 - Day 4: 3-day, 2-night safari to Kruger or Pilanesberg; drop off in Jo'burg; enjoy evening in Jo'burg
Day 5: Sightsee Jo'burg; evening flight home
I know that's cramped. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 2 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 3 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 4 Tiberias with kids
- 5 Lion World
- 6 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 7 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 8 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 9 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 10 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 11 Mpumalanga visit
- 12 safe areas to go on safari
- 13 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 14 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 15 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 16 Victoria Falls
- 17 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
- 18 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 19 2015: South Africa for a fortnight
- 20 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 21 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
- 22 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 23 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 24 Migration in Tanzania/Kenya - September
- 25 Trip to Kenya - Nov 26-Dec 9