I'll be going to South Africa in early April. I'll be in Pretoria for work and will then have 4-5 days for sightseeing. It's my first time in South Africa, and I know that's not much! So I turn to y'all, the forum experts, for advice.
My main priority is a safari. I've done them before but was never able to make it to Kruger. I'm thinking this is my opportunity - I'd like to do a 3-day tour in and out of Pretoria (I can't drive). But I know that Kruger is extremely far; I've heard it can take as much as 9 hours each way?? Especially if the tour has to pick up others.
So I'm wondering if I should give up on the Kruger idea and aim for Pilanesberg. Is it as spectacular, as full of life? I'm longing to see herds of giraffe and zebra and antelope and elephants, the occasional lion or cheetah, and even rhino, which I've never seen before! Is Pilanesberg comparable to Kruger? (I've heard it's got great birds, which is cool but not my priority)
And in either case, does anyone have recommendations for safari companies they have used??? I'm struggling to identify good ones online. Plus I'll need a company that can pick up/drop off in Pretoria.
Here is the tentative itinerary I've drawn up:
- Day 1: sightseeing in Pretoria
- Day 2 - Day 4: 3-day, 2-night safari to Kruger or Pilanesberg; drop off in Jo'burg; enjoy evening in Jo'burg
Day 5: Sightsee Jo'burg; evening flight home
I know that's cramped. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks so much!
Pilanesberg or Kruger? Please comment on my itinerary!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary
- 2 how can I go to Iran ?
- 3 Chimps, Gorillas and Camels- a Tale of Three Countries
- 4 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 5 Either Masai Mara or Serengeti in May 2015. Can I enjoy due to rains.
- 6 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 7 What to bring as gift from U.S. for Moroccan family?
- 8 5 months in Africa - advice please?
- 9 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 10 2/3 Months in South/East Africa - Itinerary help please?
- 11 How to chose a safari tour company?
- 12 Help with Safari in mid range, Stellenbosch,
- 13 Need to Chose Camp in Botswana ASAP!
- 14 what kind of phone
- 15 Small group tours in israel
- 16 Where is the Bisotun ?
- 17 Our hectic trek up Kilimanjaro and animal-filled safari in Tanzania!
- 18 Timbavati OR Kalahari
- 19 Iran Info, Please
- 20 1 month in southern Africa; how long in J'burg??
- 21 Safari on a budget!
- 22 fez accommodation
- 23 Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris
- 24 Egypt safe travel
- 25 Rwanda for Gorillas....add on Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar?