I'll be going to South Africa in early April. I'll be in Pretoria for work and will then have 4-5 days for sightseeing. It's my first time in South Africa, and I know that's not much! So I turn to y'all, the forum experts, for advice.
My main priority is a safari. I've done them before but was never able to make it to Kruger. I'm thinking this is my opportunity - I'd like to do a 3-day tour in and out of Pretoria (I can't drive). But I know that Kruger is extremely far; I've heard it can take as much as 9 hours each way?? Especially if the tour has to pick up others.
So I'm wondering if I should give up on the Kruger idea and aim for Pilanesberg. Is it as spectacular, as full of life? I'm longing to see herds of giraffe and zebra and antelope and elephants, the occasional lion or cheetah, and even rhino, which I've never seen before! Is Pilanesberg comparable to Kruger? (I've heard it's got great birds, which is cool but not my priority)
And in either case, does anyone have recommendations for safari companies they have used??? I'm struggling to identify good ones online. Plus I'll need a company that can pick up/drop off in Pretoria.
Here is the tentative itinerary I've drawn up:
- Day 1: sightseeing in Pretoria
- Day 2 - Day 4: 3-day, 2-night safari to Kruger or Pilanesberg; drop off in Jo'burg; enjoy evening in Jo'burg
Day 5: Sightsee Jo'burg; evening flight home
I know that's cramped. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks so much!
Pilanesberg or Kruger? Please comment on my itinerary!
- 1 Best way to go from Morocco to Barcelona
- 2 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 3 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?
- 4 17 days in Israel our way
- 5 Africa Safari
- 6 Central v. Northern Serengeti
- 7 Advice on Porinin camps?
- 8 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 9 Tanzania in 2014
- 10 Cairo Downtown or Giza Area?
- 11 Currency Exchange in Morocco
- 12 Morocco - private tour operators
- 13 When is the best time to visit Israel?
- 14 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 15 How to find if safari company is legit ?
- 16 Tangier - A four day city break
- 17 6 nights in Morocco - how long to spend in marrakech and fes each?
- 18 Best Budget Tour Operator
- 19 Is now a good time to visit Yemen
- 20 How to choose tour group for Egypt
- 21 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 22 Driving Aswan to Luxor
- 23 phone service
- 24 Difference between Air Botswana and South African Air
- 25 16 Days in Uganda - mountain gorillas and so much more!