I'll be going to South Africa in early April. I'll be in Pretoria for work and will then have 4-5 days for sightseeing. It's my first time in South Africa, and I know that's not much! So I turn to y'all, the forum experts, for advice.
My main priority is a safari. I've done them before but was never able to make it to Kruger. I'm thinking this is my opportunity - I'd like to do a 3-day tour in and out of Pretoria (I can't drive). But I know that Kruger is extremely far; I've heard it can take as much as 9 hours each way?? Especially if the tour has to pick up others.
So I'm wondering if I should give up on the Kruger idea and aim for Pilanesberg. Is it as spectacular, as full of life? I'm longing to see herds of giraffe and zebra and antelope and elephants, the occasional lion or cheetah, and even rhino, which I've never seen before! Is Pilanesberg comparable to Kruger? (I've heard it's got great birds, which is cool but not my priority)
And in either case, does anyone have recommendations for safari companies they have used??? I'm struggling to identify good ones online. Plus I'll need a company that can pick up/drop off in Pretoria.
Here is the tentative itinerary I've drawn up:
- Day 1: sightseeing in Pretoria
- Day 2 - Day 4: 3-day, 2-night safari to Kruger or Pilanesberg; drop off in Jo'burg; enjoy evening in Jo'burg
Day 5: Sightsee Jo'burg; evening flight home
I know that's cramped. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 2 Affidavit document for sole parent traveling to SA with child
- 3 Help plan African Safari
- 4 Trip Insurance for Africa Trip
- 5 Help planning a first safari on a budget?
- 6 Tipping on Safari
- 7 Cape Town
- 8 Widerness Lodges
- 9 THE PANORAMA ROUTE
- 10 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 11 Cape Town -safety
- 12 NBO Airport Transfer?
- 13 SA itin review
- 14 Botswana safari in late November
- 15 Ferry to Morocco
- 16 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 17 Dubai (DXB) - New Business Lounges
- 18 Morocco 8 nights Dec trip ideas
- 19 Aug 17 Botswana itinerary help
- 20 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 21 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 22 Do no use Sunrise Eco Tours - Rwanda\Uganda
- 23 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 24 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 25 Fuerteventura: SS America (SS American Star)