I sort of had my itinerary figured out for a November trip to the Middle East, but want to post one more question.
I'm spending a week in Israel, and then the plans are to go to the Dana Reserve for two days, Petra for two days, and spend the remainder of the time with Madaba as a base. I am not sure whether to
(1) cross at the southern border and start with Petra, then Dana, then Madaba, basically moving north.
(2) Or cross at the Jerusalem border and take a taxi first to Dana, then to Petra, then the bus back up towards Amman.
Either way I hit the same places, but I'm trying to figure out which is the most cost-effective route. I don't want to rent a car so I'm reliant on taxi and buses. Crossing at the southern border basically means a stay in Eilat the night before, and possibly I could use Desert Eco Tours. (This seems a little pricey, but at least the logistics are taken care of and we get over the border quickly).
I really have no idea of taxi prices once in Jordan and how to get around to these different places. Once in Madaba the hotel I'm staying at will hopefully help arrange day trips, but until then, I'm on my own. Thanks for any advice!
Petra - Dana - Madaba Itinerary Help
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 2 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 3 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 4 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 5 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 8 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 9 Charity begins at Home!
- 10 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 11 Sun Safaris
- 12 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 13 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 14 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 15 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 16 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 17 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 18 Tour to Morocco
- 19 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 20 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 21 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 22 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 23 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 24 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 25 Uganda again