Hello helpful Fodorites
I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, picking up ideas, and enjoying the adventures.
Husband and I are mid fifties relatively fit (well we can walk a fair way) and have travelled a bit in South East Asia and Europe. Travel has been largely independant, although we're not averse to a small group.
I think easiest flights are into Johannesburg for us from Oz.
I'd like to take the train from Joberg to Capetown, spend say 5 nights there including some wine country, then head to Victoria Falls. Is two nights enough for Vic Falls ?
We want to see Ngorongoro crater somehow.
Then my planning gets a bit loose. We want to see some animals (any kind will do, though expect there will be variety) and not sure at this point whether we should join a small group tour, or organise a personalised tour via a safari operator. Also not sure where we should head next, thinking towards Joberg, but no flights are booked, so we could open jaw from somewhere else ??
Not averse to hiring a car in South Africa (although husband drives like a maniac, and I will need sedatives) .
Have I left it too late to try and self book this for May ?
What in country travel agents would you recommend ?
The budget is still under negotiation, we'd like hot water, private bathroom and no washing the dishes. Say $10K as a starting point, and I'll work on upwards (excluding fares to and from Oz).
Please don't tell me to go read a guide book - I have read LP, too many choices.
We like natural environments, good food, good wine, good company.
Hit me !
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Marrakech
- 2 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 3 Dead Sea day trip
- 4 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 5 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 6 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 7 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 8 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 9 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 10 Itinerary Ideas
- 11 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 12 Travel to Botswana
- 13 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 14 Loldia House Kenya
- 15 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 16 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 17 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 18 several short safaris vs one longer one
- 19 How many Days for the Okavango Delta
- 20 Recommendations for busy coastal resorts in the Canaries
- 21 Restaurant in Cape Town
- 22 7 Days Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
- 23 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 24 Using US Dollars in Israel ?
- 25 Fraudulent Safari Operator
Hello helpful Fodorites