Hello helpful Fodorites
I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, picking up ideas, and enjoying the adventures.
Husband and I are mid fifties relatively fit (well we can walk a fair way) and have travelled a bit in South East Asia and Europe. Travel has been largely independant, although we're not averse to a small group.
I think easiest flights are into Johannesburg for us from Oz.
I'd like to take the train from Joberg to Capetown, spend say 5 nights there including some wine country, then head to Victoria Falls. Is two nights enough for Vic Falls ?
We want to see Ngorongoro crater somehow.
Then my planning gets a bit loose. We want to see some animals (any kind will do, though expect there will be variety) and not sure at this point whether we should join a small group tour, or organise a personalised tour via a safari operator. Also not sure where we should head next, thinking towards Joberg, but no flights are booked, so we could open jaw from somewhere else ??
Not averse to hiring a car in South Africa (although husband drives like a maniac, and I will need sedatives) .
Have I left it too late to try and self book this for May ?
What in country travel agents would you recommend ?
The budget is still under negotiation, we'd like hot water, private bathroom and no washing the dishes. Say $10K as a starting point, and I'll work on upwards (excluding fares to and from Oz).
Please don't tell me to go read a guide book - I have read LP, too many choices.
We like natural environments, good food, good wine, good company.
Hit me !
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tipping...
- 2 Changing planes at Dubai
- 3 Morocco for 9 nights in February
- 4 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 5 Has Anyone Been to Sudan...?
- 6 Kenya Safari Tour Operator Recommendations
- 7 Morocco Trip Report
- 8 Where to go for lunch and dinner in Fes, Marrakech, and Essaouira
- 9 Free walking tours Medina Marrakech ???
- 10 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 11 Israel Transportation
- 12 Chaos in the old Medina-Marrakech
- 13 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 14 North African Tips for a First Timer
- 15 Morocco help
- 16 First trip to Africa
- 17 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 18 3 day desert tour: Marrakech to Merzouga
- 19 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 20 IRAN
- 21 Money in Uganda
- 22 Uganda Visa
- 23 accomodation near Mata Mata Border post
- 24 Egypt- Dec Itinerary-help needed
- 25 Private Guide for Cairo
Hello helpful Fodorites