Hello helpful Fodorites
I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, picking up ideas, and enjoying the adventures.
Husband and I are mid fifties relatively fit (well we can walk a fair way) and have travelled a bit in South East Asia and Europe. Travel has been largely independant, although we're not averse to a small group.
I think easiest flights are into Johannesburg for us from Oz.
I'd like to take the train from Joberg to Capetown, spend say 5 nights there including some wine country, then head to Victoria Falls. Is two nights enough for Vic Falls ?
We want to see Ngorongoro crater somehow.
Then my planning gets a bit loose. We want to see some animals (any kind will do, though expect there will be variety) and not sure at this point whether we should join a small group tour, or organise a personalised tour via a safari operator. Also not sure where we should head next, thinking towards Joberg, but no flights are booked, so we could open jaw from somewhere else ??
Not averse to hiring a car in South Africa (although husband drives like a maniac, and I will need sedatives) .
Have I left it too late to try and self book this for May ?
What in country travel agents would you recommend ?
The budget is still under negotiation, we'd like hot water, private bathroom and no washing the dishes. Say $10K as a starting point, and I'll work on upwards (excluding fares to and from Oz).
Please don't tell me to go read a guide book - I have read LP, too many choices.
We like natural environments, good food, good wine, good company.
Hit me !
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Degrees
- 2 ARE THERE ENTRANCE EXAMS FOR MBBS STUDY IN CHINA?
- 3 March Trip to South Africa -- Need Quick Guidance Please!
- 4 Late August Cape Town/Safari/Vic Falls Advice Wanted
- 5 3-part Zimbabwe: Join Wild Dog Researcher, Walk Mana Pools, Canoe Zambezi
- 6 First time Safari - any comments on Wild Wings/Taga Safari companies?
- 7 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 8 South Africa Kgalagadi & Kruger back-to-back in 2016
- 9 Alexandria
- 10 Dubai in 36 hours
- 11 good internet connection option Meknes
- 12 A very belated TR - South of Namibia with Kgalagadi
- 13 South Africa trip report
- 14 Marrakesh - Expenses
- 15 Can gay people travel safely in Morocco?
- 16 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 17 Mombasa recomendations please
- 18 Private tours in Morocco
- 19 Kings Pool vs. Duma Tau
- 20 Hotels for Victoria falls
- 21 First time to Africa-need help!
- 22 How do I know if a company is legit
- 23 Point and Shoot camera for a Kenyan Safari
- 24 Question about Yellow Fever certificate
- 25 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
Hello helpful Fodorites