Hello helpful Fodorites
I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, picking up ideas, and enjoying the adventures.
Husband and I are mid fifties relatively fit (well we can walk a fair way) and have travelled a bit in South East Asia and Europe. Travel has been largely independant, although we're not averse to a small group.
I think easiest flights are into Johannesburg for us from Oz.
I'd like to take the train from Joberg to Capetown, spend say 5 nights there including some wine country, then head to Victoria Falls. Is two nights enough for Vic Falls ?
We want to see Ngorongoro crater somehow.
Then my planning gets a bit loose. We want to see some animals (any kind will do, though expect there will be variety) and not sure at this point whether we should join a small group tour, or organise a personalised tour via a safari operator. Also not sure where we should head next, thinking towards Joberg, but no flights are booked, so we could open jaw from somewhere else ??
Not averse to hiring a car in South Africa (although husband drives like a maniac, and I will need sedatives) .
Have I left it too late to try and self book this for May ?
What in country travel agents would you recommend ?
The budget is still under negotiation, we'd like hot water, private bathroom and no washing the dishes. Say $10K as a starting point, and I'll work on upwards (excluding fares to and from Oz).
Please don't tell me to go read a guide book - I have read LP, too many choices.
We like natural environments, good food, good wine, good company.
Hit me !
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 61 year old traveling to Kenya/Tanzania by myself
- 2 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 3 Self drive tour south africa
- 4 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 5 Itinerary Help - South Africa
- 6 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 7 2 Trips to Uganda: my experience
- 8 Elandskloof Farm Cottages near Greyton in the Western Cape
- 9 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 10 Duba activities - help deciding
- 11 Itinerary Input for Northern Israel with Kids
- 12 Private Guide for Cairo
- 13 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 14 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 15 Texting from US to Israel
- 16 Itinerary Ideas
- 17 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 18 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 19 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 20 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 21 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 22 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 23 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 24 Passport pages stuck together
- 25 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
Hello helpful Fodorites