We are finally ready to plan a trip to Africa, but are totally overwhelmed by how much there is to figure out. We are 56 + 60, and want to do as much as we can before we can't anymore! We are free to travel any time, and right now we are totally stuck because we want to see the gorillas in Rwanda, the great migration Kenya/Tanzania, and I'm determined to go to Botswana too. We can afford a nice trip, but we won't waste our money to have a tent that imitates a 4* hotel as we just don't need that. But a comfortable tent is definitely up our alley. From what I can see already, lodges aren't what we want as we'd like to be 'in there', but maybe there are some lodges that are like that. Tented camps seem more interesting. My confusion right now is should we plan to do one big trip, or expect to break it up into 2 or more? How long is too long when you are not used to being on safari? Although we don't mind some long driving between camps, we are open to flying to avoid too many long days on the road. I especially want to see lots of elephants, lions, babies, leopards, cheetas, giraffes, etc. and beautiful scenery. We want to go with a very reputable and very experienced company that we will want to recommend to others and want to travel with again ourselves. I would be so grateful for just some advice on companies that have great reputations, camps that are gorgeous and well located and anything else you can think of. I already have the Fodor's Safari planning guide, and dozens of links (but I'll whatever you can recommend) but mostly I want your personal recommendations. Also, we have been briefly to Krugar in the past and would like to avoid being in the middle of major tourism. I know people who have traveled happily in Botswana with the Africa Adventure Company, but other than that have no other personal recommendations.
Oh Where oh where to go ???????
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Dubai first time
- 2 Burj Khalifa tickets
- 3 Dubai and where else for one week?
- 4 What is the must do bucketlist on everyone for Kenya in 2015?How safe?
- 5 3-week tour at Egypt
- 6 Pilanesberg or Kruger? Please comment on my itinerary!
- 7 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 8 Good reads
- 9 Need suggestions for solo trip (2-3 weeks, next May)
- 10 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 11 South Africa in February?
- 12 Morocco Advice
- 13 Kenya Multi-Day Safari Trip Report
- 14 Gate1 discovery tours to Israel
- 15 tanzania serengeti northern circuit self drive
- 16 Advice For Morocco Desert Tours and camel trekking For 4 Night
- 17 Beirut
- 18 Travel Agent in DC: Seeking Reviews
- 19 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 20 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 21 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 22 Mashatu, Kgalagadi to Caprivi and a Moremi mobile with Masson Safaris
- 23 5/6 day trip in Morocco. Tips for itinerary and mode of travel
- 24 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 25 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015