So I've been working with an agent to put together a 2 week self-drive trip through Namibia next May, staying mostly at camp sites instead of lodges. I picked May because it's off-season so hopefully less busy and it's cheaper. I know the game viewing will not be as good, but we've already been to Tanzania and Zambia, so less focused on animals as opposed to just soaking in the scenery.
I guess my main concern with the itinerary is that it seems like an awful lot of stops; most for just one night. That seems a bit rushed to me; I usually like to spend at least two nights in an area just to get the feel of it. But looking at a lot of tour operators websites, this seems to be a pretty typical route to follow. Just wondering if anyone else has done a similar trip and what your thoughts are on it. The agent I've been working with says this is one of their best selling trips and gets good feedback from their customers, and when I look at it plotted out on a map, it does make a nice circular route with no more than a 4 hour drive between any two stops.
1. The Olive Grove http://www.olivegrove-namibia.com/
2. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
3. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
4. Onguma Campsite, Etosha http://www.onguma.com/about-us/onguma-campsite.htm
5. Okaukuejo Rest Camp, Etosha http://www.etoshanationalpark.org/accommodation/okaukuejo
6. Hoada Campsite, Damaraland http://grootberg.com/hoada-campsite/
7. Mowani Campsite, Damaraland http://www.mowani.com/index.php
8. Spitzkoppe Campsite, Southern Damaraland http://www.spitzkoppe.com/index.php/site/page?view=accommodation
9. Desert Breeze, Swakopmund http://www.desertbreezeswakopmund.com/index.php
10. Sesriem Campsite, Sossusvlei http://www.nwr.com.na/sesriem_campsite.html
11. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
12. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
13. Buellsport Guest Farm, South of Rehoboth http://www.buellsport.com/
14. Eningu, The Clayhouse Lodge http://www.eningulodge.com/
I like all the camp locations except for possibly Okaukuejo Rest Camp in Etosha which I was told was unavoidable as it's the only camp in that area. Opinions? Good? Bad?
Are there any "not to be missed" activities or sites? Or things to avoid? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania and Kenya tour company?
- 2 Cape Town Itinerary
- 3 South Africa self drive, March 2015
- 4 Morocco--advice on itinerary needed!
- 5 Custom Morocco guide recommendations requested
- 6 Best African safari destination – in addition to Masai Mara Conservancy?
- 7 Car Rentals in Israel
- 8 Dubai hotels
- 9 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 10 FRS Ferry between Tarifa and Tangier
- 11 Pulse Africa???
- 12 Kruger
- 13 Morocco to Tel Aviv --flights
- 14 Uganda Trip Report
- 15 Eastern Cape Safari?
- 16 itinerary any ideas?
- 17 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 18 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 19 Two Weeks in Capetown, want to add a safari
- 20 Anybody used Classic Africa to plan a safari?
- 21 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 22 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 23 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 24 Safari buddies - late August
- 25 Americans in Iran - an amazing 1-month trip