So I've been working with an agent to put together a 2 week self-drive trip through Namibia next May, staying mostly at camp sites instead of lodges. I picked May because it's off-season so hopefully less busy and it's cheaper. I know the game viewing will not be as good, but we've already been to Tanzania and Zambia, so less focused on animals as opposed to just soaking in the scenery.
I guess my main concern with the itinerary is that it seems like an awful lot of stops; most for just one night. That seems a bit rushed to me; I usually like to spend at least two nights in an area just to get the feel of it. But looking at a lot of tour operators websites, this seems to be a pretty typical route to follow. Just wondering if anyone else has done a similar trip and what your thoughts are on it. The agent I've been working with says this is one of their best selling trips and gets good feedback from their customers, and when I look at it plotted out on a map, it does make a nice circular route with no more than a 4 hour drive between any two stops.
1. The Olive Grove http://www.olivegrove-namibia.com/
2. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
3. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
4. Onguma Campsite, Etosha http://www.onguma.com/about-us/onguma-campsite.htm
5. Okaukuejo Rest Camp, Etosha http://www.etoshanationalpark.org/accommodation/okaukuejo
6. Hoada Campsite, Damaraland http://grootberg.com/hoada-campsite/
7. Mowani Campsite, Damaraland http://www.mowani.com/index.php
8. Spitzkoppe Campsite, Southern Damaraland http://www.spitzkoppe.com/index.php/site/page?view=accommodation
9. Desert Breeze, Swakopmund http://www.desertbreezeswakopmund.com/index.php
10. Sesriem Campsite, Sossusvlei http://www.nwr.com.na/sesriem_campsite.html
11. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
12. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
13. Buellsport Guest Farm, South of Rehoboth http://www.buellsport.com/
14. Eningu, The Clayhouse Lodge http://www.eningulodge.com/
I like all the camp locations except for possibly Okaukuejo Rest Camp in Etosha which I was told was unavoidable as it's the only camp in that area. Opinions? Good? Bad?
Are there any "not to be missed" activities or sites? Or things to avoid? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://healthonlinereviews.com/pensida-eye-renewal-cream/
- 2 http://www.hearthpwn.org/nuvajen/
- 3 Stanleys Camp Luggage
- 4 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 5 Planning my last day in Morocco
- 6 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 7 Beware: Ewamanns Safaris is a scam!
- 8 South African Cities
- 9 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 10 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 11 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 12 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 13 Help with bags
- 14 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 15 4 DAYS IN MOROCCO- AGADIR OR ESSAOUIRA??
- 16 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 17 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 18 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 19 where to go in africa
- 20 Israeli Tour Guides
- 21 Shopping in Morocco
- 22 Need 2-3 others to join Serengeti safari January 9-15, 2017
- 23 Weekend trip to a Middle Eastern City
- 24 HELP! 20+ days in Africa - First time ever trip
- 25 Tanzanian Safari, trip report