So I've been working with an agent to put together a 2 week self-drive trip through Namibia next May, staying mostly at camp sites instead of lodges. I picked May because it's off-season so hopefully less busy and it's cheaper. I know the game viewing will not be as good, but we've already been to Tanzania and Zambia, so less focused on animals as opposed to just soaking in the scenery.
I guess my main concern with the itinerary is that it seems like an awful lot of stops; most for just one night. That seems a bit rushed to me; I usually like to spend at least two nights in an area just to get the feel of it. But looking at a lot of tour operators websites, this seems to be a pretty typical route to follow. Just wondering if anyone else has done a similar trip and what your thoughts are on it. The agent I've been working with says this is one of their best selling trips and gets good feedback from their customers, and when I look at it plotted out on a map, it does make a nice circular route with no more than a 4 hour drive between any two stops.
1. The Olive Grove http://www.olivegrove-namibia.com/
2. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
3. Okonjima Omboroko Campsite - http://okonjima.com/index.php
4. Onguma Campsite, Etosha http://www.onguma.com/about-us/onguma-campsite.htm
5. Okaukuejo Rest Camp, Etosha http://www.etoshanationalpark.org/accommodation/okaukuejo
6. Hoada Campsite, Damaraland http://grootberg.com/hoada-campsite/
7. Mowani Campsite, Damaraland http://www.mowani.com/index.php
8. Spitzkoppe Campsite, Southern Damaraland http://www.spitzkoppe.com/index.php/site/page?view=accommodation
9. Desert Breeze, Swakopmund http://www.desertbreezeswakopmund.com/index.php
10. Sesriem Campsite, Sossusvlei http://www.nwr.com.na/sesriem_campsite.html
11. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
12. NamibRand Family Hideout Campsite http://www.hideout.iway.na/
13. Buellsport Guest Farm, South of Rehoboth http://www.buellsport.com/
14. Eningu, The Clayhouse Lodge http://www.eningulodge.com/
I like all the camp locations except for possibly Okaukuejo Rest Camp in Etosha which I was told was unavoidable as it's the only camp in that area. Opinions? Good? Bad?
Are there any "not to be missed" activities or sites? Or things to avoid? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Namibia Self-Drive Itinerary Comments
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safari on a budget!
- 2 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 3 Migration in Serengeti July/August
- 4 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 5 Tips for Israel
- 6 Please help me choose which Tanzania safari!
- 7 al-fayoum oasis in 1/2 day
- 8 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 9 Great Tanzania trip in the off season
- 10 Road To Morocco Tours
- 11 Kasbahs, camels, and couscous - 12 days in Morocco
- 12 Obtaining Visas for Egypt
- 13 Transfers to and from the Ben gurion airport TLV
- 14 Ideas for solo (female) relaxing trip next month
- 15 Best time to visit Zanzibar?
- 16 Tanzania - private guide with vehicle
- 17 Rwanda
- 18 Egypt safe travel
- 19 Any suggestions or feedback for our honeymoon?
- 20 Zambia Impressions
- 21 One night camping in the desert in Morocco?
- 22 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 23 Dubai trip
- 24 3 adults in Dubai need a good hotel to share with privacy!
- 25 Info for those considering gorilla trekking in Rwanda