I just realized that I have not posed on Fodor's for a long time. The last time I shared my trips was, like, almost two years ago. Fodorites were very welcoming and supportive, so I miss the interaction (you can look up my past posts if you're interested in Italy, France & Spain). Since then I have been very lucky to get to visit several new countries. Of all those places, Morocco has been kind of the most special.
First, the distance…I know absolutely no one who traveled all the way from my country Vietnam to Morocco. When I applied for my visa at the Moroccan embassy, the applicant logbook was almost empty, haha. (Vietnamese people do visit Morocco, but the number is few and far between. And those people usually live or study in Europe.) Flights from Vietnam to Morocco are obscenely long (like 40 hours) and expensive, so in my case I chose to fly to Paris first and then waited two days for my flight to Marrakech with Transavia (had never heard of this airline before I flew, but it was quite okay). Moroccans were very surprised when I told them where I'm from; they said I was the first Vietnamese they had never met
Second, the culture of Morocco is very different from that of all the countries I have lived and visited. That and the lack of research on my part made me woefully unprepared for the cultural shocks a solo traveler would encounter. My trip didn't go smoothly, and there was more than one occasion when I felt like changing my departure flight. (Nothing terrible happened; I was just fed up with having to keep my guard on all the times.) But the country's landscape is pretty much out of this world and I met really lovely people, so at the end of the day I'm still glad that I visited the country
I have written about my two-week traveling through the country on my travel journal, including my impressions of Marrakech, Fes & Chefchaouen, practical travel tips and of course a lot of photos with captions. Here is the link if you're interested:
If you're about to visit Morocco, I hope it helps. As usual, if you have any question, let me know. I will try to respond as fast as I possibly can. Have a good weekend
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Stonetown versus Shimba Hills
- 2 4h transit dubai visit center ?
- 3 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 4 Dubai - 4 hours between flights, what can you do ??
- 5 transit facilities for 14 hours in Dubai Terminal 2
- 6 Best books to read before Morocco visit? (not guide books)
- 7 Tipping guide & driver in israel???
- 8 Shimba Hills Mombasa Kenya Would This Works As A Day Trip From A Cruise?
- 9 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 10 Cairo International Airport
- 11 Petra from Israel
- 12 Need help planning Namibia Trip!
- 13 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 14 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 15 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 16 4th Safari with Warrior Trails in 2016
- 17 Lady Liuwa no more !!
- 18 Gamewatchers are great for helping plan
- 19 Women's wear for Dubai?
- 20 Dubai Guide
- 21 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 22 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 23 Cape Town/ Wineland Tour
- 24 Bush plane luggage (again)
- 25 Loldia House Kenya
My 2-Week Love and Hate Relationship with Morocco