I just realized that I have not posed on Fodor's for a long time. The last time I shared my trips was, like, almost two years ago. Fodorites were very welcoming and supportive, so I miss the interaction (you can look up my past posts if you're interested in Italy, France & Spain). Since then I have been very lucky to get to visit several new countries. Of all those places, Morocco has been kind of the most special.
First, the distance…I know absolutely no one who traveled all the way from my country Vietnam to Morocco. When I applied for my visa at the Moroccan embassy, the applicant logbook was almost empty, haha. (Vietnamese people do visit Morocco, but the number is few and far between. And those people usually live or study in Europe.) Flights from Vietnam to Morocco are obscenely long (like 40 hours) and expensive, so in my case I chose to fly to Paris first and then waited two days for my flight to Marrakech with Transavia (had never heard of this airline before I flew, but it was quite okay). Moroccans were very surprised when I told them where I'm from; they said I was the first Vietnamese they had never met
Second, the culture of Morocco is very different from that of all the countries I have lived and visited. That and the lack of research on my part made me woefully unprepared for the cultural shocks a solo traveler would encounter. My trip didn't go smoothly, and there was more than one occasion when I felt like changing my departure flight. (Nothing terrible happened; I was just fed up with having to keep my guard on all the times.) But the country's landscape is pretty much out of this world and I met really lovely people, so at the end of the day I'm still glad that I visited the country
I have written about my two-week traveling through the country on my travel journal, including my impressions of Marrakech, Fes & Chefchaouen, practical travel tips and of course a lot of photos with captions. Here is the link if you're interested:
If you're about to visit Morocco, I hope it helps. As usual, if you have any question, let me know. I will try to respond as fast as I possibly can. Have a good weekend
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Financial Offer/Business Funding Available Through Bank Instruments
- 2 Safari In June
- 3 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 4 Has anyone shipped goods to Kenya?
- 5 Barcelona & Morocco (Oct 2017)
- 6 Egypt Trip Planning
- 7 Hiring Grand Taxi
- 8 Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
- 9 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 10 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 11 Business trip to Israel
- 12 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
- 13 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 14 honeymoon place
- 15 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
- 16 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 17 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 18 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 19 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 20 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 21 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 22 Yom Hazikaron
- 23 Yom Haatzmaut
- 24 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 25 May 10-July 10 in Africa
My 2-Week Love and Hate Relationship with Morocco