I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 DELL @password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 2 Our Magic Carpet Ride-Marrakesh!
- 3 Safari Goers, I Need Your Expertise!
- 4 Where do I even start planning my SA safari?
- 5 Itinerary Ideas
- 6 Tanzania Itinerary help
- 7 planning first safari to Tanzania ... feeling overwhelmed
- 8 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 9 Help with Israel Trip (First Timers): Some Basic Questions
- 10 Tel Aviv-Haifa: gifts and presents. Any ideas?
- 11 An Ugandan Urge- Gorillas & Chimps in the midst
- 12 Narrowing down my 10 day itinerary
- 13 Kenya/Tanzania
- 14 Dubai first time
- 15 2 nights in Dubai
- 16 16 hours in Qatar
- 17 Petra from Israel
- 18 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 19 A South African in Lusaka
- 20 Packing for trip to Tanzania
- 21 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 22 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 23 RETURN TO BOTSWANA, PLUS JOHANNESBURG, 2017
- 24 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 25 Safari suggestions