I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Moving to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 2 African Wildlife Safari
- 3 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 4 Charity begins at Home!
- 5 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 6 Sun Safaris
- 7 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 8 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 9 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 10 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 11 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 12 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 13 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 14 Tour to Morocco
- 15 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 16 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 17 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 18 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 19 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 20 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 21 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 22 Uganda again
- 23 November at victoria falls
- 24 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 25 Best tour guides in Jerusalem