I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Stonetown versus Shimba Hills
- 2 4h transit dubai visit center ?
- 3 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 4 Dubai - 4 hours between flights, what can you do ??
- 5 transit facilities for 14 hours in Dubai Terminal 2
- 6 Best books to read before Morocco visit? (not guide books)
- 7 Tipping guide & driver in israel???
- 8 Shimba Hills Mombasa Kenya Would This Works As A Day Trip From A Cruise?
- 9 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 10 Cairo International Airport
- 11 Petra from Israel
- 12 Need help planning Namibia Trip!
- 13 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 14 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 15 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 16 4th Safari with Warrior Trails in 2016
- 17 Lady Liuwa no more !!
- 18 Gamewatchers are great for helping plan
- 19 Women's wear for Dubai?
- 20 Dubai Guide
- 21 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 22 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 23 Cape Town/ Wineland Tour
- 24 Bush plane luggage (again)
- 25 Loldia House Kenya