I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Moving to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tour Operator/Vendor for safari planning suggestions?
- 2 Is this too ambitious for a trip to Africa?
- 3 Help! Need guidance for safari to Kenya and Tanzania late May
- 4 Itinerary Help-South Africa
- 5 Please help me choose which Tanzania safari!
- 6 Things to see in Dubai
- 7 Tanzania - private guide with vehicle
- 8 Great Tanzania trip in the off season
- 9 botswana, zimbabwe/zambia trip advice
- 10 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 11 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 12 Migration in Serengeti July/August
- 13 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 14 looking for nice boutique hotel in tel aviv
- 15 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 16 Garden Route PE to Cape Town
- 17 Safari on a budget!
- 18 Tips for Israel
- 19 al-fayoum oasis in 1/2 day
- 20 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 21 Road To Morocco Tours
- 22 Kasbahs, camels, and couscous - 12 days in Morocco
- 23 Obtaining Visas for Egypt
- 24 Transfers to and from the Ben gurion airport TLV
- 25 Ideas for solo (female) relaxing trip next month