I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 advise on joburg pls!
- 2 Hotel Ibis Casa Voyageurs - closed
- 3 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 4 Morocco arrival information
- 5 Spain and Morocco over 90 Days
- 6 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 7 help with itinerary please
- 8 Advice on Cape Town in July
- 9 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 10 12 days Cape Town and Pilanesburg Itinerary help
- 11 Cape Town weather dependent activities
- 12 Luggage restrictions
- 13 Seeking recommendation: Beach hotel in Netanya
- 14 Where to holiday in late June/early July 2017?
- 15 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 16 A weeks trip to Egypt.couple with a year old babys first birthday!!
- 17 Township Tour Guide
- 18 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 19 Gorilla Trekking Rwanda 3 months Pregnant
- 20 ISRAEL TRIP
- 21 Transportation from Casablanca to Rabat
- 22 South Africa Honeymoon: Sabi Sands Reserve Lodge Recommendation
- 23 2 Expeditions To The The Danakil Depression - My Experiences
- 24 15 day tour in Morocco - itinerary advices
- 25 Cape Town + Eastern Cape