I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Moving to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Have you been to East Africa ?Ethiopia?
- 2 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 3 Tel Aviv beaches
- 4 Memory cards for camera
- 5 Self Drive SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe - help, 4x4 hire/border restrictions
- 6 place to sleep near airport for a 6 hour layover .. switching airports
- 7 trip report, morocco
- 8 Marrakech to Fes by bus
- 9 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
- 10 Generic malarone now availbale in Canada
- 11 Morocco for 2 nights
- 12 Help with Rwanda trip
- 13 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 14 Sabi Sands camps
- 15 Hotels in Nairobi
- 16 Who Plans and Packs for Your Bucket List Travel (Safari)
- 17 Rwanda trip report
- 18 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 19 A Couple of Questions Regarding My Itinerary
- 20 Petra in August, Petra by Night?
- 21 israel and petra
- 22 Tentative Israel/Jordan Itinerary...help
- 23 Help with Kruger Park itinerary
- 24 Israel and Petra
- 25 Eilat - Petra and the Dead Sea