The dunes are something dreams are made of. Movies, TV and books cannot describe being there. The sun is bright. Palm trees sway. As you move in among the dunes the ripples in the sand from the wind reveal themselves as the sun moves toward the horizon. Small animal and insect trails are noticed after the being that made them has disappeared. The dunes get higher as you move in towards your camp. You are following the footprints of the camels that made their way yesterday although they have little detail due to to constant wind. You make your way around and through, no longer seeing the sun for the height of the dunes. Camp is ahead and it will be an adventure if you keep an open mind. Get out into the dunes in the dark. The silence will hurt your ears with its presence. The stars will blind you. This will be the time to consider who and what you are in this universe. It will be dark when it is time to get up and make your way to a good viewing point for the sunrise and then you wait with a soft breeze brushing your face. You will be antsy but it will come. There it will be hurting your eyes. Casting shadows that were not visible a minute ago.... a minute ago. Breathe this in. Close your eyes and imprint the scene on your inner eyelids. Going back for breakfast and a shower will be anti-climatic. You came to the desert. You rode a camel. You walked in the dunes. You slept away from everything familiar. You saw the stars like never before. You did it.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 2 3 weeks in Zimbabwe with a rented Jeep - our experience
- 3 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 4 Novice Safari question
- 5 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 6 Taking SA rental car into Zimbabwe and/or Botswana
- 7 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 8 Dubai and Bangkok
- 9 Short stop in Dubai on our way to Bangkok for a few days
- 10 Hotels in Nairobi
- 11 Botswana Flights to the Kwando camps
- 12 Remote Rivers Tours-Madagascar
- 13 Morocco in April 2014
- 14 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 15 Uganda Travel Planning
- 16 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 17 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 18 Kenya Safari: Ngerende Island Lodge, Mara Bushtops, or Porini Camps?
- 19 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 20 Green Season Safari Questions
- 21 Quick question about Kenya..
- 22 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 23 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 24 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 25 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update