The dunes are something dreams are made of. Movies, TV and books cannot describe being there. The sun is bright. Palm trees sway. As you move in among the dunes the ripples in the sand from the wind reveal themselves as the sun moves toward the horizon. Small animal and insect trails are noticed after the being that made them has disappeared. The dunes get higher as you move in towards your camp. You are following the footprints of the camels that made their way yesterday although they have little detail due to to constant wind. You make your way around and through, no longer seeing the sun for the height of the dunes. Camp is ahead and it will be an adventure if you keep an open mind. Get out into the dunes in the dark. The silence will hurt your ears with its presence. The stars will blind you. This will be the time to consider who and what you are in this universe. It will be dark when it is time to get up and make your way to a good viewing point for the sunrise and then you wait with a soft breeze brushing your face. You will be antsy but it will come. There it will be hurting your eyes. Casting shadows that were not visible a minute ago.... a minute ago. Breathe this in. Close your eyes and imprint the scene on your inner eyelids. Going back for breakfast and a shower will be anti-climatic. You came to the desert. You rode a camel. You walked in the dunes. You slept away from everything familiar. You saw the stars like never before. You did it.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 What a wonderful holiday in Kenya!!
- 2 Side trip from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 4 Long layover at Hamad Airport, Doha
- 5 First trip to Africa in December-January
- 6 Tanzania or Kenya in October
- 7 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 8 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 9 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 10 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 11 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 12 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 13 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 14 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 15 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 16 Charity begins at Home!
- 17 Sun Safaris
- 18 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 19 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 20 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 21 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 22 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 23 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 24 Tour to Morocco
- 25 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???