The dunes are something dreams are made of. Movies, TV and books cannot describe being there. The sun is bright. Palm trees sway. As you move in among the dunes the ripples in the sand from the wind reveal themselves as the sun moves toward the horizon. Small animal and insect trails are noticed after the being that made them has disappeared. The dunes get higher as you move in towards your camp. You are following the footprints of the camels that made their way yesterday although they have little detail due to to constant wind. You make your way around and through, no longer seeing the sun for the height of the dunes. Camp is ahead and it will be an adventure if you keep an open mind. Get out into the dunes in the dark. The silence will hurt your ears with its presence. The stars will blind you. This will be the time to consider who and what you are in this universe. It will be dark when it is time to get up and make your way to a good viewing point for the sunrise and then you wait with a soft breeze brushing your face. You will be antsy but it will come. There it will be hurting your eyes. Casting shadows that were not visible a minute ago.... a minute ago. Breathe this in. Close your eyes and imprint the scene on your inner eyelids. Going back for breakfast and a shower will be anti-climatic. You came to the desert. You rode a camel. You walked in the dunes. You slept away from everything familiar. You saw the stars like never before. You did it.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Awesome trip and still not done
- 2 Hotels in Tel Aviv & Jerusalem?
- 3 1 Week in North Africa/Middle East- flying from US- where to go?
- 4 Duty Free Syd-J'burg-Cape Town
- 5 Tanzania Safari - The Good, The Bad, The Unexpected and The Amazing!!
- 6 Marrakech in February 2015
- 7 Moroccan Tour Companies
- 8 morocco - weather in sept.
- 9 Egypt, Israel and Jordan safety concerns.
- 10 To go to Israel or not?
- 11 Some Cape Town hotel - day tour suggestions?
- 12 Hotels in Eilat, Israel
- 13 A place to stop on the way from Jo'burg to Graskop
- 14 Marrakech, Fes and atlas sahara desert trip report
- 15 Mala Mala Luxury Suite or Sabi Sabi Mandleve Presidential Suite?
- 16 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 17 Morocco tour guide?
- 18 Airlines - South Africa Airways and Egypt Air
- 19 Seychelles sailing trip in mid-August. Anyone interested in joining?
- 20 Morocco: Is this a rip-off?
- 21 3 nights Idube Sabi Sands
- 22 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 23 Where, oh where?
- 24 Shindzela tented camp in the Timbavati
- 25 A Brief Visit And A "Giraffe Kiss"