by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
- 2 Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
- 3 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 4 honeymoon place
- 5 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
- 6 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 7 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 8 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 9 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 10 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 11 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 12 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 13 Yom Hazikaron
- 14 Yom Haatzmaut
- 15 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 16 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 17 recomendation on African Safari company
- 18 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 19 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 20 One extra day in Jordan
- 21 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
- 22 Where to stay for a night in Johannesburg?
- 23 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 24 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 25 Israel in Late October or November?
by Susana Herrera