by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Never use Travelust Safaris!
- 2 Lion Sands River Lodge or Narina Lodge
- 3 Swala Safaris
- 4 A First Journey to Southern Africa: Cape, Falls, and Animal Safaris
- 5 First time safari question
- 6 Safety at Sharm el sheikh and St Catherine's
- 7 Dubai
- 8 FloShuttle. from Ben Gurion airport
- 9 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 10 Help choosing Safari in Botswana
- 11 Driving from Jo-burg to Hazyview
- 12 To drive or not to drive - need itinerary advice
- 13 Back in Iran again-just 11 days, help!
- 14 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 15 Help with last minute planning VFalls/Kruger/CapeTown
- 16 Etosha help
- 17 &Beyond vs. Wilderness Groups
- 18 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 19 private game reserve-kruger
- 20 Abu Dhabi and the Rest?
- 21 Dubai for 36 hours hotel recommendation
- 22 go2africa
- 23 Fabulous Feb. 2016 Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya Trip
- 24 NAMIBIA rent a car from Windhoek Airport
- 25 My Topic Titlelas mountains
by Susana Herrera