by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 After Botswana ?
- 2 http://rxtestosteronesite.com/mastique-avis/
- 3 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 4 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 5 2 Months in Ethiopia - My Experience
- 6 Luggage restrictions-Kenya? Diani Beach?
- 7 HELP! 20+ days in Africa - First time ever trip
- 8 Timing for Africa visit
- 9 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 10 Morocco over Christmas
- 11 Itinerary Feedback: Kruger, Chobe, Victoria Falls, & Maasai Mara
- 12 OR Tambo to Arathusa: Fly or Drive
- 13 Botswana - Mobile Safari Operator Recommendations?
- 14 Kruger/sabi sands reserve Vs. Botswana
- 15 Has anyone been to Zanzibar and got tips?
- 16 Uganda, Rwanda, and Zanzibar-Brief Trip Report
- 17 Cape Town + safari itinerary
- 18 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 19 Last-minute South Africa advice?
- 20 DOHA LAYOVER
- 21 Morocco Questions
- 22 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 23 Botswana safari recs
- 24 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 25 Safe to Travel to Morocco
by Susana Herrera