by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Burj Khalifa, pre-book or not?
- 2 Africa, closer than ever before?
- 3 Africa Film Festival
- 4 Is the migration early this year
- 5 Roar Africa reviews
- 6 Moving Around Safari Lodges in Sabi Sands
- 7 Trip to Rwanda and Congo (Brazzaville)
- 8 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 9 Magnificant Morocco
- 10 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 11 Custom Morocco guide recommendations requested
- 12 Need help with Israel Itinerary
- 13 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 14 Anyone stayed at Mosetlha Camp in Madikwe?
- 15 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 16 Pulse Africa???
- 17 Please help! Sabi Sands or Hluhluwe-imfolozi
- 18 Safari luggage
- 19 Help needed getting from Tel Aviv Airport to Eilat
- 20 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 21 Morocco Trip Report
- 22 Migration into the Mara early this year
- 23 Car Rentals in Israel
- 24 Walia Tours?
- 25 Kruger
by Susana Herrera