by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Mango Elephants In The Sun
by Susana Herrera
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 how can I go to Iran ?
- 2 What to bring as gift from U.S. for Moroccan family?
- 3 Help with itinerary
- 4 Chimps, Gorillas and Camels- a Tale of Three Countries
- 5 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 6 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 7 Either Masai Mara or Serengeti in May 2015. Can I enjoy due to rains.
- 8 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 9 5 months in Africa - advice please?
- 10 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 11 2/3 Months in South/East Africa - Itinerary help please?
- 12 How to chose a safari tour company?
- 13 Help with Safari in mid range, Stellenbosch,
- 14 Need to Chose Camp in Botswana ASAP!
- 15 what kind of phone
- 16 Small group tours in israel
- 17 Where is the Bisotun ?
- 18 Our hectic trek up Kilimanjaro and animal-filled safari in Tanzania!
- 19 Timbavati OR Kalahari
- 20 Iran Info, Please
- 21 1 month in southern Africa; how long in J'burg??
- 22 Safari on a budget!
- 23 fez accommodation
- 24 Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris
- 25 Egypt safe travel