by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Mango Elephants In The Sun
by Susana Herrera
- 1 My trip to Merzouga (Erg Chebbi) with Sahara Desert Crew ;
- 2 Cape town and Kruger National Park in November
- 3 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 4 Help! First African safari!!!
- 5 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 6 Ghana trip report - independently using public transport
- 7 Any advice for travelling to Ghana, Ivory Coast and the Gambia?
- 8 Choosing between Ethiopia or Togo-Ghana for backpacking trip!
- 9 Cheap flights for Ghana
- 10 My trip to Egypt .....
- 11 Safari Cost Comparison
- 12 dubai for 5 days
- 13 WHERE TO? Botswana? Tanzania? South Africa?
- 14 Help with travel plans for Dubai
- 15 Dubai Airport to cruise terminal
- 16 Anyone visiting Kenya 2014
- 17 Map of Safari Camps in Greater Kruger?
- 18 Bugs n' Botswana
- 19 Group Trip to Israel
- 20 My Trip to Palestine
- 21 1st Time Safari to South Africa -Lodge Recommendations!
- 22 TRIP REPORTART I: BUDGET, NOVICE TRIP TO ETHIOPIA AND KENYA
- 23 Being a tourist in Dubai
- 24 Tanzania, Kili, Camels and Horses
- 25 My Big Fat Africa Trip - Input Appreciated!!!!