by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Mango Elephants In The Sun
by Susana Herrera
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 2 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 3 A family safari in Tanzania
- 4 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 5 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 6 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 7 Uganda Trip Report
- 8 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 9 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 10 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 11 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 12 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 13 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 14 Boutique hotels in israel
- 15 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 16 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 17 Short layover at JNB
- 18 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 19 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 20 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 21 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 22 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?
- 23 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 24 Safari in Tanzania with Zinga African Safaris
- 25 Any Experience with Africa Tours?