by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 2 Two Safari questions--one photography and one about gratuities
- 3 Fabulous tour by Real Egypt
- 4 Beautiful sight of the sunshire
- 5 aggregate the abandoned a lot of Buy Wildstar Gold
- 6 Can anyone rival Micato Safaris?
- 7 Has anyone shipped goods to Kenya?
- 8 day trip fes to chefchaouen
- 9 Why no mention of the beautuful lion...
- 10 Has anyone used this safari company in Uganda?
- 11 Best time to visit 2016 -
- 12 Israel itinerary
- 13 Connection Time from the US to CPT from JNB?
- 14 Wondering how much US Dollars to change to Kenyan Shillings?
- 15 Safari photography help
- 16 20 days, Family who loves Adventure, over the Holidays
- 17 Travel within Africa
- 18 Last minute invite to Kenya - need reasonablebSafari tour operators
- 19 Flights to Uganda & Kenya
- 20 Namibia--fly-in or guided drive?
- 21 Can Anyone Say Anything Positive About Ethiopia Air?
- 22 Southern Africa Safari Trip—Best Vacation Ever!!
- 23 Tanzania trip Advice
- 24 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 25 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
by Susana Herrera