I was hoping to get some advice on a decision I am having some difficulty finding an answer to! My soon-to-be husband and I will be going to Africa for our honeymoon sometime in May or June 2017. We will be spending 3-4 nights in Cape Town and was hoping to spend another 3 nights sometime during our trip in Mozambique/ Barazuto Archipelago. I have been on safari in Kenya and Tanzania a few years ago so I am eager to try somewhere new and am trying to decide between the private reserves near Kruger National Park and between Okavango Delta and/or Chobe National Park.
From my research so far (correct me If I am wrong, please!) I have gathered that Botswana has a more "wild" and untouched Africa feel to it. I have also read that there may be a higher density of animals in the private reserves near Kruger because they are reserves. We will probably spend about 5-6 nights on safari possibly split between two camps. I saw quite a bit on my safari in the Masai Mara but my future husband has never been and I would love to be able to see many animals.
I know Botswana can be more expensive, which isn't ideal but won't keep us from going if its really worth it. Ideally I would like to spend no more than 600-950 pp a night but would be willing to go a bit higher for part of it- if the camp is superb. Also I think we have the time of year in our favor in that the prices will be a bit lower. Which is another question I have- will the game viewing be good in may or june? Before planning the trip we were hoping to go earlier in the year when things at work are slow for us both but based on articles I have read I realized if we were going to spend all this money to go better to go when the viewing is good!
Ideally I would love to go to Botswana I am just wondering if its worth the trouble in making our itinerary a bit hectic to get there. I am worried the Kruger area is going to be too touristy, or not feel as natural. Will we be seeing other safari jeeps everywhere? In Botswana is it worth splitting the 5-6 nights between the delta and chobe? Any experiences/advice would be very welcomed!
Lastly, we are going to Mozambique for some change of scenery and to swim with whale sharks hopefully. Is it going to be nice beach weather, is the Barazuto Archipelago worth seeing(if all we are looking for is nice beaches and some down time) and are we likely to see a whale shark.
I know I am squeezing in quite a bit for 14 days but my partner and I are very active and typically like to stay in one place only for a few days before we get antsy to see something new!
Thanks in advance- this forum has helped me immensely in the past.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 2 Has anyone shipped goods to Kenya?
- 3 Barcelona & Morocco (Oct 2017)
- 4 Egypt Trip Planning
- 5 Hiring Grand Taxi
- 6 Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
- 7 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 8 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 9 Safari In June
- 10 Business trip to Israel
- 11 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
- 12 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 13 honeymoon place
- 14 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
- 15 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 16 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 17 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 18 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 19 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 20 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 21 Yom Hazikaron
- 22 Yom Haatzmaut
- 23 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 24 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 25 recomendation on African Safari company