A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 had a great trip with booking-tours eilat
- 2 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 3 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 4 Morocco Questions
- 5 Swartberg Pass or not?
- 6 Botswana in January
- 7 FloShuttle. from Ben Gurion airport
- 8 Help please! Port Elizabeth/Addo Elephant
- 9 Activities to Keep the Kids Entertained in Dubai
- 10 Rhino Africa - Reviews
- 11 Last-minute South Africa advice?
- 12 Help me plan a family safari for three generations!
- 13 Planning & Strategy for 1st African Safari - Early July 2017
- 14 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 15 Done with tourist activity/ two fully free solo days
- 16 2 days i n JO'burg
- 17 Victoria Falls 3 day visit from a month in SA
- 18 Timbavati or Klaserie Game Lodge Options
- 19 Jnb to Vic Falls cheap
- 20 Zambia HELP!
- 21 Israel in January
- 22 Morocco touring from Agadir
- 23 Imilchil marriage festival 2016 in Morocco
- 24 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 25 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
A sub-Saharan newbie here.