A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Kruger in April/May
A sub-Saharan newbie here.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary
- 2 Either Masai Mara or Serengeti in May 2015. Can I enjoy due to rains.
- 3 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 4 What to bring as gift from U.S. for Moroccan family?
- 5 5 months in Africa - advice please?
- 6 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 7 2/3 Months in South/East Africa - Itinerary help please?
- 8 How to chose a safari tour company?
- 9 Help with Safari in mid range, Stellenbosch,
- 10 Need to Chose Camp in Botswana ASAP!
- 11 what kind of phone
- 12 Small group tours in israel
- 13 Where is the Bisotun ?
- 14 Our hectic trek up Kilimanjaro and animal-filled safari in Tanzania!
- 15 Timbavati OR Kalahari
- 16 Iran Info, Please
- 17 1 month in southern Africa; how long in J'burg??
- 18 Safari on a budget!
- 19 fez accommodation
- 20 Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris
- 21 Egypt safe travel
- 22 Rwanda for Gorillas....add on Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar?
- 23 Cape Town + Safari and what else?
- 24 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 25 Need help with N TZ itinerary