A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Money in Uganda
- 2 Morocco help
- 3 Kenya Safari Tour Operator Recommendations
- 4 First trip to Africa
- 5 Uganda Visa
- 6 accomodation near Mata Mata Border post
- 7 Egypt- Dec Itinerary-help needed
- 8 Private Guide for Cairo
- 9 Egypt - Need Help!
- 10 Attractions in Cairo and around
- 11 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 12 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 13 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 14 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 15 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 16 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 17 Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- 18 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 19 Trying to contact Rabbi Jay Karzen, Jerusalem
- 20 South Africa/Safari/12 days in May
- 21 Is Egypt OK to visit now with family ?
- 22 "Salute Africa" travel agency
- 23 Need feedback on my itinerary
- 24 DANCING ZEBRA SAFARI CO
- 25 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
A sub-Saharan newbie here.