A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Kruger in April/May
A sub-Saharan newbie here.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco to portugal
- 2 Car Rentals in Israel
- 3 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 4 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 5 Independence Day in Israel
- 6 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 7 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 8 South Africa in February?
- 9 Drinking on safari
- 10 Travelust
- 11 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 12 Shots for Morocco
- 13 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 14 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 15 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 16 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 17 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 18 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 19 Thinking about The Gambia
- 20 Private Guide in Israel - Cost question
- 21 correct date of last post: free ebook available Sunday Dec 11
- 22 Dubai Sand Dune dinner
- 23 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 24 “Extensive tour around Egypt in 36 Days”
- 25 Help in finding Israel tour guide Moshe Nov