A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Widerness Lodges
- 2 Affidavit document for sole parent traveling to SA with child
- 3 Nairobi, where to stay
- 4 Two Nights in Tangiers
- 5 Trip Report: South Africa & Namibia April 28 – May 14
- 6 Help plan African Safari
- 7 Trip Insurance for Africa Trip
- 8 Help planning a first safari on a budget?
- 9 Tipping on Safari
- 10 Cape Town
- 11 THE PANORAMA ROUTE
- 12 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 13 Cape Town -safety
- 14 NBO Airport Transfer?
- 15 SA itin review
- 16 Botswana safari in late November
- 17 Ferry to Morocco
- 18 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 19 Dubai (DXB) - New Business Lounges
- 20 Morocco 8 nights Dec trip ideas
- 21 Aug 17 Botswana itinerary help
- 22 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 23 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 24 Do no use Sunrise Eco Tours - Rwanda\Uganda
- 25 Safe to Travel to Morocco
A sub-Saharan newbie here.