A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Kruger in April/May
A sub-Saharan newbie here.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 2 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 3 Looking for child friendly self catering house in Cape Town in March 2015
- 4 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 5 Ebola and Morocco
- 6 Thompson Gazelle
- 7 Overland in West Africa
- 8 Domestic flight to HDS/MQP from JNB??
- 9 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 10 Cape Town, Safari + Victoria Falls
- 11 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 12 Morrocco and Cash
- 13 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 14 Car Hire Victoria Mahe Seychelles
- 15 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 16 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 17 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 18 South Africa trip advices
- 19 Dubai transit with different connecting flights
- 20 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 21 Tour to Morocco
- 22 Rhino conservation in S Africa
- 23 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 24 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 25 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon