A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Kruger in April/May
A sub-Saharan newbie here.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 2 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 3 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 4 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 5 Uganda Trip Report
- 6 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 7 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 8 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 9 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 10 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 11 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 12 Boutique hotels in israel
- 13 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 14 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 15 Short layover at JNB
- 16 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 17 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 18 A family safari in Tanzania
- 19 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 20 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 21 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 22 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?
- 23 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 24 Safari in Tanzania with Zinga African Safaris
- 25 Any Experience with Africa Tours?