A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 How to spend four nights in Morocco
- 2 Insurance Coverage while in Egypt
- 3 South Africa safari, Cape town self drive trip plan- many questions
- 4 FIRST South Africa's trip might be brought to us by You
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 7 Is the migration early this year
- 8 EXCURSION - HAIFA to YAD VASHEM
- 9 Cape Town Itinerary
- 10 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 11 Hotel suggestions in Cape Town
- 12 Tangier (Tanger) Ville railway station
- 13 Madagascar - your tips please
- 14 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 15 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 16 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 17 Touring Morocco alone for a few days? (fez & marrekech)
- 18 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 19 Burj Khalifa, pre-book or not?
- 20 Road To Morocco Tours
- 21 Magnificant Morocco
- 22 Africa, closer than ever before?
- 23 Africa Film Festival
- 24 Roar Africa reviews
- 25 Moving Around Safari Lodges in Sabi Sands
A sub-Saharan newbie here.