A sub-Saharan newbie here.
We're in the early phases of planning a South Africa trip for May of 2015. We're tentatively thinking about 6-7 days in a self-drive of Kruger, staying at the bungalows in one or more rest camps. We're not considering any private camps, due to budget. We're thinking only self-drive in that we're a family of three with a child along. We understand that probably won't afford the opportunities for the very best wildlife viewing but we are fine with the compromise vs not going at all.
We've read a couple of excellent trip reports here, which served as inspiration that maybe we *could* see Africa in our lifetimes. Having knowledge only of those wonderful private camps and their rates previously, we had thought it impossible.
That leaves a couple of questions still (at least).
None of the reports I've seen so far were based around the April-May timeframe. We're wondering if that puts a wrinkle in how we should plan out the trip, to maximize chances of spotting wildlife, particularly lion, giraffe and elephants? Of course, I know one can never predict, but if there's any advice to be had as to where to be, and when...
Would you recommend several camps or just one? We were thinking of starting in a central part area and working south in two or three camps. Is that advisable?
And finally, wondering if anyone could recommend good written resources for planning a self drive like this?
I guess pretty much all advice would be appreciated. We've had the chance to travel around a bit in the past, but this sort of trip will be very new to us.
After Kruger, we'll continue on southwest through more of SA as well as Lesotho.
(ps, we already drive on the left where we live, so that's not an additional worry)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trigger XL You can improve your diet by adding yogur
- 2 Uganda Visa
- 3 Uganda Trip Report
- 4 Uganda Visit - A beautiful Country
- 5 First Sight at the Half the World-Iran
- 6 South Africa Adventure Activities - Help Needed
- 7 Trip Report: June, 2016 S. Africa, Zambia and Malawi
- 8 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 9 Trip to Petra
- 10 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 11 Cape Town -safety
- 12 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017
- 13 Trip to Merzouga
- 14 Any advise on travelling in Morocco
- 15 Swaziland in January
- 16 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 17 good internet connection option Meknes
- 18 Overnight train from Fez to Marrakesh
- 19 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 20 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 21 Safari - March 2017 Timbavati vs. Sabi Sands
- 22 Pictures & Trip Report - Self-drive: South Africa & Namibia 2008
- 23 Tanzania Safari with OAT
- 24 what size ll bean adventure duffle for safari
- 25 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
A sub-Saharan newbie here.