We went to Kenya and Rwanda back in Feb/Mar 2012 and here is the long overdue trip report. We had issues with our travel company and I wanted to give them a chance to resolve things before I put up a trip report. They have failed to answer any of my attempts to contact them so I feel like I’ve done my best and here goes…
We used R&N Xployer as our ground operator and they contracted with Metacor for the Rwanda portion of our trip. Let me first say that Rwanda was fabulous and I can't recommend Fidel our guide highly enough. I will do a separate report for that portion of the trip.
We have been on safari 3 times before in 2/2008, 2/2009 and 3/2011 to Tanzania with Naipenda (our guide Chris was excellent), 5/2010 to Botswana with Travel Beyond and Wilderness Safaris and 10/11 to South Africa with Smartours. We're from California so we prefer to travel in our winter or fall. The logical next choice seemed to be Kenya for our wildlife fix. We decided early on to limit it to a fly in safari to the Mara because of the on/off again political situation. (Do any of you remember Bill H's adventures in the last political upheaval? Here’s a link to his trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/what-its-like-to-safari-in-kenya-right-now.cfm) Our plan was to send 8 nights in Kenya and then move on to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.
We started planning about a year in advance and Nyagah Mbae from R&N Xployer was prompt to reply to all questions and he had good suggestions. He also had a pretty favorable reputation on these boards. He supplied references and I contacted them all. Someone had some issues with the vehicle so I asked about that and Nyagah emailed me a photo of the vehicle and our guide to be, Joseph. All was good. We wired our money as scheduled and bought our plane tickets.
Kenya Trip Report Feb-Mar/2012 with R&N Xployer
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Rhino conservation in S Africa
- 2 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 3 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 4 South Africa trip advices
- 5 Morrocco and Cash
- 6 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 7 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 8 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 9 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 10 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 11 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 12 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 13 First time in Africa on safari
- 14 South Africa Peer-to-Peer Vehicle Rentals
- 15 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 16 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 17 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 18 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 19 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 20 Namibia - Camping Tour
- 21 Dubai Airport: is it safe for a woman traveling alone?
- 22 Two weeks in Qatar, how much money to budget?
- 23 Transport Available from Harare to Victoria Falls - 17 Aug 2014
- 24 Tanzania Safari - The Good, The Bad, The Unexpected and The Amazing!!
- 25 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?