We went to Kenya and Rwanda back in Feb/Mar 2012 and here is the long overdue trip report. We had issues with our travel company and I wanted to give them a chance to resolve things before I put up a trip report. They have failed to answer any of my attempts to contact them so I feel like I’ve done my best and here goes…
We used R&N Xployer as our ground operator and they contracted with Metacor for the Rwanda portion of our trip. Let me first say that Rwanda was fabulous and I can't recommend Fidel our guide highly enough. I will do a separate report for that portion of the trip.
We have been on safari 3 times before in 2/2008, 2/2009 and 3/2011 to Tanzania with Naipenda (our guide Chris was excellent), 5/2010 to Botswana with Travel Beyond and Wilderness Safaris and 10/11 to South Africa with Smartours. We're from California so we prefer to travel in our winter or fall. The logical next choice seemed to be Kenya for our wildlife fix. We decided early on to limit it to a fly in safari to the Mara because of the on/off again political situation. (Do any of you remember Bill H's adventures in the last political upheaval? Here’s a link to his trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/what-its-like-to-safari-in-kenya-right-now.cfm) Our plan was to send 8 nights in Kenya and then move on to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.
We started planning about a year in advance and Nyagah Mbae from R&N Xployer was prompt to reply to all questions and he had good suggestions. He also had a pretty favorable reputation on these boards. He supplied references and I contacted them all. Someone had some issues with the vehicle so I asked about that and Nyagah emailed me a photo of the vehicle and our guide to be, Joseph. All was good. We wired our money as scheduled and bought our plane tickets.
Kenya Trip Report Feb-Mar/2012 with R&N Xployer
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 2 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 3 Jordan safety concerns
- 4 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 7 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 8 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 9 A family safari in Tanzania
- 10 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 11 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 12 Uganda Trip Report
- 13 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 14 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 15 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 16 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 17 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 18 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 19 Boutique hotels in israel
- 20 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 21 Short layover at JNB
- 22 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 23 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 24 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 25 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?