We went to Kenya and Rwanda back in Feb/Mar 2012 and here is the long overdue trip report. We had issues with our travel company and I wanted to give them a chance to resolve things before I put up a trip report. They have failed to answer any of my attempts to contact them so I feel like I’ve done my best and here goes…
We used R&N Xployer as our ground operator and they contracted with Metacor for the Rwanda portion of our trip. Let me first say that Rwanda was fabulous and I can't recommend Fidel our guide highly enough. I will do a separate report for that portion of the trip.
We have been on safari 3 times before in 2/2008, 2/2009 and 3/2011 to Tanzania with Naipenda (our guide Chris was excellent), 5/2010 to Botswana with Travel Beyond and Wilderness Safaris and 10/11 to South Africa with Smartours. We're from California so we prefer to travel in our winter or fall. The logical next choice seemed to be Kenya for our wildlife fix. We decided early on to limit it to a fly in safari to the Mara because of the on/off again political situation. (Do any of you remember Bill H's adventures in the last political upheaval? Here’s a link to his trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/what-its-like-to-safari-in-kenya-right-now.cfm) Our plan was to send 8 nights in Kenya and then move on to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.
We started planning about a year in advance and Nyagah Mbae from R&N Xployer was prompt to reply to all questions and he had good suggestions. He also had a pretty favorable reputation on these boards. He supplied references and I contacted them all. Someone had some issues with the vehicle so I asked about that and Nyagah emailed me a photo of the vehicle and our guide to be, Joseph. All was good. We wired our money as scheduled and bought our plane tickets.
Kenya Trip Report Feb-Mar/2012 with R&N Xployer
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 3-week tour at Egypt
- 2 Gate1 discovery tours to Israel
- 3 Advice For Morocco Desert Tours and camel trekking For 4 Night
- 4 Morocco Advice
- 5 Beirut
- 6 Travel Agent in DC: Seeking Reviews
- 7 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 8 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 9 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 10 Mashatu, Kgalagadi to Caprivi and a Moremi mobile with Masson Safaris
- 11 5/6 day trip in Morocco. Tips for itinerary and mode of travel
- 12 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 13 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 14 I'm going on safari for free!
- 15 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 16 tanzania serengeti northern circuit self drive
- 17 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 18 Dubai first time
- 19 Private guide, non-self drive Namibia with Wild Dog Safaris in June
- 20 Overland from the Cape to the Serengeti
- 21 Observation - Possible Limited Space During Peak Season
- 22 South Africa's Eight UNESCO Sites
- 23 2015 Family Safari Tanzania Questions
- 24 5 day Seychelles trip in December
- 25 Anyone Else heading to Egypt in December?