We went to Kenya and Rwanda back in Feb/Mar 2012 and here is the long overdue trip report. We had issues with our travel company and I wanted to give them a chance to resolve things before I put up a trip report. They have failed to answer any of my attempts to contact them so I feel like I’ve done my best and here goes…
We used R&N Xployer as our ground operator and they contracted with Metacor for the Rwanda portion of our trip. Let me first say that Rwanda was fabulous and I can't recommend Fidel our guide highly enough. I will do a separate report for that portion of the trip.
We have been on safari 3 times before in 2/2008, 2/2009 and 3/2011 to Tanzania with Naipenda (our guide Chris was excellent), 5/2010 to Botswana with Travel Beyond and Wilderness Safaris and 10/11 to South Africa with Smartours. We're from California so we prefer to travel in our winter or fall. The logical next choice seemed to be Kenya for our wildlife fix. We decided early on to limit it to a fly in safari to the Mara because of the on/off again political situation. (Do any of you remember Bill H's adventures in the last political upheaval? Here’s a link to his trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/what-its-like-to-safari-in-kenya-right-now.cfm) Our plan was to send 8 nights in Kenya and then move on to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.
We started planning about a year in advance and Nyagah Mbae from R&N Xployer was prompt to reply to all questions and he had good suggestions. He also had a pretty favorable reputation on these boards. He supplied references and I contacted them all. Someone had some issues with the vehicle so I asked about that and Nyagah emailed me a photo of the vehicle and our guide to be, Joseph. All was good. We wired our money as scheduled and bought our plane tickets.
Kenya Trip Report Feb-Mar/2012 with R&N Xployer
- 1 When is the best time to visit Israel?
- 2 River Cruise for Several Days in South Africa (or adjacent) ?
- 3 Best way to go from Morocco to Barcelona
- 4 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 5 Kenya + Ngorongoro or Serengeti?
- 6 17 days in Israel our way
- 7 Africa Safari
- 8 Central v. Northern Serengeti
- 9 Advice on Porinin camps?
- 10 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 11 Tanzania in 2014
- 12 Cairo Downtown or Giza Area?
- 13 Currency Exchange in Morocco
- 14 Morocco - private tour operators
- 15 what kind of plug adapters to use in south africa
- 16 How to find if safari company is legit ?
- 17 Tangier - A four day city break
- 18 6 nights in Morocco - how long to spend in marrakech and fes each?
- 19 Best Budget Tour Operator
- 20 Is now a good time to visit Yemen
- 21 How to choose tour group for Egypt
- 22 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 23 Driving Aswan to Luxor
- 24 phone service
- 25 Difference between Air Botswana and South African Air