We went to Kenya and Rwanda back in Feb/Mar 2012 and here is the long overdue trip report. We had issues with our travel company and I wanted to give them a chance to resolve things before I put up a trip report. They have failed to answer any of my attempts to contact them so I feel like I’ve done my best and here goes…
We used R&N Xployer as our ground operator and they contracted with Metacor for the Rwanda portion of our trip. Let me first say that Rwanda was fabulous and I can't recommend Fidel our guide highly enough. I will do a separate report for that portion of the trip.
We have been on safari 3 times before in 2/2008, 2/2009 and 3/2011 to Tanzania with Naipenda (our guide Chris was excellent), 5/2010 to Botswana with Travel Beyond and Wilderness Safaris and 10/11 to South Africa with Smartours. We're from California so we prefer to travel in our winter or fall. The logical next choice seemed to be Kenya for our wildlife fix. We decided early on to limit it to a fly in safari to the Mara because of the on/off again political situation. (Do any of you remember Bill H's adventures in the last political upheaval? Here’s a link to his trip report. http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/what-its-like-to-safari-in-kenya-right-now.cfm) Our plan was to send 8 nights in Kenya and then move on to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.
We started planning about a year in advance and Nyagah Mbae from R&N Xployer was prompt to reply to all questions and he had good suggestions. He also had a pretty favorable reputation on these boards. He supplied references and I contacted them all. Someone had some issues with the vehicle so I asked about that and Nyagah emailed me a photo of the vehicle and our guide to be, Joseph. All was good. We wired our money as scheduled and bought our plane tickets.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 PORT SAID/CAIRO - 1 DAY off cruise ship
- 2 African Safari
- 3 South Africa safari, Cape town self drive trip plan- many questions
- 4 How to spend four nights in Morocco
- 5 Touring Morocco alone for a few days? (fez & marrekech)
- 6 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 7 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 8 FIRST South Africa's trip might be brought to us by You
- 9 Please give your preferences on these two private Lodges
- 10 Insurance Coverage while in Egypt
- 11 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 12 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 13 Is the migration early this year
- 14 EXCURSION - HAIFA to YAD VASHEM
- 15 Cape Town Itinerary
- 16 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 17 Hotel suggestions in Cape Town
- 18 Tangier (Tanger) Ville railway station
- 19 Madagascar - your tips please
- 20 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 21 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 22 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 23 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 24 Burj Khalifa, pre-book or not?
- 25 Road To Morocco Tours
Kenya Trip Report Feb-Mar/2012 with R&N Xployer