This is more specific now - my sister (her very first safari) and I will be doing the gorillas from 17 June 2013, this is now booked with a hefty nonrefundable deposit! We now have an opening to do a bit of a safari before the gorillas and after we work in an animal rehab centre. So we will be coming from Nelspruit to Johannesburg then onto Option 1 or Option 2.
My ta has come back with this information:
1 night Nairobi $300
4 nights - Royal Mara $4500
Exploreans Mara Riant Camp $5600
Serian Mara Camp $6400
1 night Nairobi $1200 (this is The Giraffe Manor)
1 night Arusha $300
4 nights - Kirawira $8300
1 night Kigali
and i do have an Option 3
Sabi Sands for 4 nights - Savanna $5600
or Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp $5700
The prices are rounded and in Australian dollars and for the two of us.
I am leaning towards Tanzania for hopefully some wonderful game experiences for Di as she has never been on safari, yet all her girls have been with me, one has now had 5 african trips, so wanting it to be special for her.
Really would have liked to do the Giraffe Manor, as that is something unique and I still remember your fabulous photos Cindy!
Obviously this cost includes flights to camps but not from Jo'burg to city before the small charter flight.
I did get a quote for Sabi Sands as it seemed the easier option but neither of those camps get me too excited re the gameviewing side of things.
So, those that have good knowledge of Tanzania and Kenya, which would you be doing at that time of the year?
Kenya or Tanzania for mid June 2013
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA
- 2 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 3 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 4 Interested in joining me on Nov. 16-23 Liuwa Plain trip?
- 5 Botswana - Kwara or Victoria Falls/Chobe (after 9 nights around Kruger)
- 6 Questions about Chobe
- 7 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 8 Zambia, A Scenic Arrival
- 9 Most affordable airfare to get to the Western Sabi lodges
- 10 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 11 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 12 Looking for child friendly self catering house in Cape Town in March 2015
- 13 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 14 Ebola and Morocco
- 15 Thompson Gazelle
- 16 Overland in West Africa
- 17 Domestic flight to HDS/MQP from JNB??
- 18 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 19 Morrocco and Cash
- 20 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 21 Car Hire Victoria Mahe Seychelles
- 22 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 23 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 24 South Africa trip advices
- 25 Dubai transit with different connecting flights