This is more specific now - my sister (her very first safari) and I will be doing the gorillas from 17 June 2013, this is now booked with a hefty nonrefundable deposit! We now have an opening to do a bit of a safari before the gorillas and after we work in an animal rehab centre. So we will be coming from Nelspruit to Johannesburg then onto Option 1 or Option 2.
My ta has come back with this information:
1 night Nairobi $300
4 nights - Royal Mara $4500
Exploreans Mara Riant Camp $5600
Serian Mara Camp $6400
1 night Nairobi $1200 (this is The Giraffe Manor)
1 night Arusha $300
4 nights - Kirawira $8300
1 night Kigali
and i do have an Option 3
Sabi Sands for 4 nights - Savanna $5600
or Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp $5700
The prices are rounded and in Australian dollars and for the two of us.
I am leaning towards Tanzania for hopefully some wonderful game experiences for Di as she has never been on safari, yet all her girls have been with me, one has now had 5 african trips, so wanting it to be special for her.
Really would have liked to do the Giraffe Manor, as that is something unique and I still remember your fabulous photos Cindy!
Obviously this cost includes flights to camps but not from Jo'burg to city before the small charter flight.
I did get a quote for Sabi Sands as it seemed the easier option but neither of those camps get me too excited re the gameviewing side of things.
So, those that have good knowledge of Tanzania and Kenya, which would you be doing at that time of the year?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 15 days Morocco Itinerary Help please
- 2 What is worth seeing in November?
- 3 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 4 luggage for a weird itinerary
- 5 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 6 where to spend a night near JRO airport?
- 7 Marrakech - Which area to stay?
- 8 Middle Atlas or Chefchaouen
- 9 Trip to Merzouga
- 10 Lodge/Camp in Ruaha National Park
- 11 Uganda Visa
- 12 Border crossing (Bots-Zim-Zam)
- 13 Active Family's First Trip to Africa - South Africa or Botswana
- 14 Which one for safari: Bulele or Sabi Sands at Kruger - South Africa?
- 15 Help choosing Game Reserves in Kruger National Park, SouthAfrica
- 16 Purchase Tanzanite in Arusha/Tanzania
- 17 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 18 safari private lodges - % off rack rates
- 19 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 20 Amazing Kenya - a must visit
- 21 beach visit after safari
- 22 Luggage restrictions-Kenya? Diani Beach?
- 23 Cape Town -safety
- 24 Uganda Trip Report
- 25 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017