I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tour Operator/Vendor for safari planning suggestions?
- 2 Is this too ambitious for a trip to Africa?
- 3 Help! Need guidance for safari to Kenya and Tanzania late May
- 4 Itinerary Help-South Africa
- 5 Please help me choose which Tanzania safari!
- 6 Things to see in Dubai
- 7 Tanzania - private guide with vehicle
- 8 Great Tanzania trip in the off season
- 9 botswana, zimbabwe/zambia trip advice
- 10 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 11 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 12 Migration in Serengeti July/August
- 13 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 14 looking for nice boutique hotel in tel aviv
- 15 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 16 Garden Route PE to Cape Town
- 17 Safari on a budget!
- 18 Tips for Israel
- 19 al-fayoum oasis in 1/2 day
- 20 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 21 Road To Morocco Tours
- 22 Kasbahs, camels, and couscous - 12 days in Morocco
- 23 Obtaining Visas for Egypt
- 24 Transfers to and from the Ben gurion airport TLV
- 25 Ideas for solo (female) relaxing trip next month