I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Ideas about the trip.
- 2 3 days in Teheran
- 3 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 4 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 5 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 6 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 7 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 8 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 9 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 10 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 11 Questions about Chobe
- 12 What camera to use on safari
- 13 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 14 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 15 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 16 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 17 To go to Israel or not?
- 18 Bidair at JNB
- 19 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 20 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 21 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 22 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 23 Eastern Cape Lodges
- 24 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 25 Dubai > Oman?