I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 2 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 3 Namibia road conditions
- 4 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 5 Interested in joining me on Nov. 16-23 Liuwa Plain trip?
- 6 elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA
- 7 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 8 Botswana - Kwara or Victoria Falls/Chobe (after 9 nights around Kruger)
- 9 Questions about Chobe
- 10 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 11 Zambia, A Scenic Arrival
- 12 Most affordable airfare to get to the Western Sabi lodges
- 13 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 14 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 15 Looking for child friendly self catering house in Cape Town in March 2015
- 16 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 17 Ebola and Morocco
- 18 Thompson Gazelle
- 19 Overland in West Africa
- 20 Domestic flight to HDS/MQP from JNB??
- 21 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 22 Morrocco and Cash
- 23 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 24 Car Hire Victoria Mahe Seychelles
- 25 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area