I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 2 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 3 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 4 A family safari in Tanzania
- 5 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 6 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 7 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 8 Uganda Trip Report
- 9 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 10 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 11 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 12 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 13 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 14 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 15 Boutique hotels in israel
- 16 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 17 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 18 Short layover at JNB
- 19 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 20 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 21 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 22 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 23 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?
- 24 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 25 Safari in Tanzania with Zinga African Safaris