I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safari on a budget!
- 2 Either Masai Mara or Serengeti in May 2015. Can I enjoy due to rains.
- 3 Rwanda for Gorillas....add on Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar?
- 4 1 month in southern Africa; how long in J'burg??
- 5 fez accommodation
- 6 Gorilla Trekking with Churchill Safaris
- 7 Iran Info, Please
- 8 Egypt safe travel
- 9 Cape Town + Safari and what else?
- 10 How to chose a safari tour company?
- 11 Timbavati OR Kalahari
- 12 COME TO IRAN ...
- 13 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 14 what kind of phone
- 15 Need help with N TZ itinerary
- 16 Johannesburg...?
- 17 Travel regulations for children visiting South Africa
- 18 Self-drive safari ideas, but not South Africa
- 19 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 20 Need to Chose Camp in Botswana ASAP!
- 21 Train or car from Fes to Marrakech- with kids
- 22 Suggestions for a group tour
- 23 Help! Need guidance for safari to Kenya and Tanzania late May
- 24 Itinerary Help-South Africa
- 25 Popular destinations in Africa.