I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 safari private lodges - % off rack rates
- 2 Uganda Visit - A beautiful Country
- 3 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
- 4 HELP WITH TOURS FROM EILAT TO PETRA
- 5 Uganda Visa
- 6 Uganda Trip Report
- 7 First Sight at the Half the World-Iran
- 8 South Africa Adventure Activities - Help Needed
- 9 Trip Report: June, 2016 S. Africa, Zambia and Malawi
- 10 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 11 Trip to Petra
- 12 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 13 Cape Town -safety
- 14 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Advice Needed - Mid-May 2017
- 15 Trip to Merzouga
- 16 Any advise on travelling in Morocco
- 17 Swaziland in January
- 18 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 19 good internet connection option Meknes
- 20 Overnight train from Fez to Marrakesh
- 21 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 22 Safari - March 2017 Timbavati vs. Sabi Sands
- 23 Pictures & Trip Report - Self-drive: South Africa & Namibia 2008
- 24 Tanzania Safari with OAT
- 25 what size ll bean adventure duffle for safari
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back