I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Seeking Itinerary Routing for 3 week SA Trip
- 2 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 3 Anyone had to disembark the aircraft in Dakar enroute to Jo'burg?
- 4 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 5 16 Days in South Africa (Victoria Falls, Zimbawe & Botswana)
- 6 Morocco for 2 nights
- 7 Kenya and Tanzania Trip Planning Help
- 8 MOROCCO SOLO
- 9 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 10 February vs March in Tanzania - Dueling Trip Reports
- 11 Looking for out of the way places
- 12 Morocco on the road: trip report
- 13 Help: 4 days, 3 nights in (or our of) Johannesburg
- 14 Tanzania Safari
- 15 Sabi Sands camps
- 16 AHLA Tanzania Mt. Kilimanjaro & Safari 4 days
- 17 Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius??
- 18 trip report, morocco
- 19 Photos from Sept 2013 Safari to Uganda
- 20 First Time in Israel Tour Suggestions
- 21 East Africa summer 2014
- 22 Cape Town Safety?
- 23 first time family safari in August 2014
- 24 BOTSWANA - Maun (Okavango) to Chobe - 4x4 self drive...
- 25 Memory cards for camera