I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 2 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 3 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 4 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 5 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 6 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 7 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 8 Passport pages stuck together
- 9 Self drive tour south africa
- 10 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 11 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
- 12 Flight to italy then To Romani
- 13 Minor Children & Birth Certificates?
- 14 Duba activities - help deciding
- 15 Eilat
- 16 recommendations for AI islands
- 17 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 18 Petra from Israel
- 19 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 20 What makes South Africa unique & different from other places in the world?
- 21 16hours transit at Doha
- 22 Travel with Children to South Africa with Emirates
- 23 Itinerary Input- Specifically on GR or staying longer in CT
- 24 South Africa Tour Company
- 25 Safari trip to Madikwe .
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back