I have just returned from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I was a bit nervous about the border crossing at Kazungula and about the road blocks but decide to give it a try anyway rather then taking a shuttle across. I did however leave my trailer behind as I was returning after three days.
I also made sure to leave fairly early in order to miss the overland trucks who arrive mid morning. This was a good trick as the border was fairly quiet and with the help of the agents " they help and work for the insurance" I got the correct paperwork and filled in what I needed. I also got the correct funds together. It cost me around +/- $50 for all insurance and permit and took about 60 minutes. If you rent a vehicle it will cost you a lot more and you need to fill out a bit more information.
On the way to Victoria falls their were no road blocks that stopped us. The road goes through the Zambezi National Park so keep a look out for wildlife. It was a very easy crossing and we really enjoyed our three days in the falls.
A couple of tips for what you need in order to cross
Your vehicle needs white reflectors in front and red at the back. You need a vest in the vehicle, two warning triangles in case your break down and a fire extinguisher. I also keep a few cold drinks in case a friendly officer needs a drink or two. It seems to help cool down most situations in Africa
Kazungula border crossing Victoria falls report back
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 2 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 3 Kenya safari tour/cost
- 4 Durban / Hluhluwe / Ponta Mamoli (Mozambique) / Mkuze Falls Itinerary
- 5 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 6 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 7 Cape Town Trip
- 8 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 9 2015 Family Safari Tanzania Questions
- 10 New exit tax when departing Tunisia
- 11 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 12 Eight days in Israel--What did I miss?
- 13 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 14 What a wonderful holiday in Kenya!!
- 15 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 16 Eilat to Petra
- 17 Long layover at Hamad Airport, Doha
- 18 Private driver for one day from Agadir?
- 19 Safaga activités
- 20 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 21 12 hours layover in Cairo
- 22 Jordan vacation
- 23 Has anyone used this safari company in Uganda?
- 24 Tipping for a hot air balloon safari?
- 25 Morocco Imperial Cities & Sahara Desert - Any recommended itinerary ?