My husband and I were in Jordan in late November this year for 9 days. We stayed with friends in Amman for a few days and also traveled around Jordan - a few days with them, and then on our own. Jordan is a beautiful country and we had a grand time. There aren't very many trip reports for Jordan on these forums, so hoping this report will give those of you looking to travel to the region an idea of what to expect. Jordan is much more than just Petra and in fact, I wished I had a few more days to travel to places like Umm Qais, Umm Al Rasas, the desert castles that we didn't get a chance to get to on this trip.
This was our itinerary for our 9 days there.
Day 0 - Landed in Amman in the afternoon from NYC
Day 1 - Drove to Wadi Rum; spent the night in a Bedouin camp. I booked this with Attayak Aouda who runs Wadi Rum Mountain Guides
Day 2 - Jeep tour of the desert; drove to Aqaba after lunch. In Aqaba, we stayed at the Coral Bay hotel in Tala Bay to the south of Aqaba city
Day 3 - A day of snorkeling booked through Dive Aqaba
Day 4 - Took a taxi to Petra; spent day in Petra and also checked out the Petra by night tour. In Petra we stayed at the Petra Palace hotel, just steps from the Petra entrance
Day 5 - In Petra at the crack of dawn and spent the entire day at the site
Day 6 - Hired a car and driver (through Petra Moon Tours) to drive us to Karak, Mt. Nebo and Madaba along the King's highway and Dead Sea highway and drop us off in Amman
Day 7 - Day trip to O Beach on the Dead Sea; took a taxi both ways
Day 8 - Day trip to Jerash
Day 9 - Day in old Amman; late night flight back to NYC
I booked the camp, Coral Bay hotel and snorkeling trip via email directly with the business. For the Petra Palace hotel, I was getting a better rate through a local travel agency than via email. So, I had Petra Moon tours book the hotel for us, and also the car and driver. All email exchanges were easy and prompt.
The downside to Jordan is the absence of reliable public transportation except for the JETT buses that operate primarily for day trips to Petra and the Dead Sea. Just before we left for Jordan, we heard of a new daily bus service between Wadi Rum-Aqaba and Aqaba-Petra operated by Nyazi Tours out of Aqaba. We tried to book tickets for the Aqaba Petra bus at their offices in Aqaba, but they were unfortunately sold out. With a little bit of pre-planning, this would be an easy and much cheaper option for those wishing to do the Wadi Rum - Aqaba - Petra circuit on their own without a car and driver.
The taxi from Aqaba to Petra cost us 40 JD and from Amman to the Dead Sea 25 JD each way. Taxis within Amman are plenty and cheap.
Hope this provides some of the logistical info for future travelers. I'll be back soon with the actual trip report.
Thanks for reading!
Just back from 9 wonderful days in Jordan - a trip report
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 2 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 3 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 4 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 5 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 6 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 7 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 8 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 9 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 10 Tour to Morocco
- 11 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 12 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 13 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 14 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 15 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 16 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 17 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 18 Uganda again
- 19 November at victoria falls
- 20 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 21 Best tour guides in Jerusalem
- 22 Climb Kilimanjaro advice
- 23 NEVER travel with Grande Navi Veloci
- 24 Royal Jordanian or El Al: For Tel Aviv with Petra Side-trip
- 25 What is a normal price for driver from Amman airport to Petra