Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Insurance Coverage while in Egypt
- 2 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 3 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 4 Burj Khalifa, pre-book or not?
- 5 Hotel suggestions in Cape Town
- 6 Tangier (Tanger) Ville railway station
- 7 Road To Morocco Tours
- 8 Magnificant Morocco
- 9 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 10 Africa, closer than ever before?
- 11 Africa Film Festival
- 12 Is the migration early this year
- 13 Roar Africa reviews
- 14 Moving Around Safari Lodges in Sabi Sands
- 15 Trip to Rwanda and Congo (Brazzaville)
- 16 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 17 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 18 Custom Morocco guide recommendations requested
- 19 Need help with Israel Itinerary
- 20 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 21 Anyone stayed at Mosetlha Camp in Madikwe?
- 22 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 23 Pulse Africa???
- 24 Please help! Sabi Sands or Hluhluwe-imfolozi
- 25 Safari luggage
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --