Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 that that is valued on the money. First, it makes use of
- 2 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 3 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 4 glowing pores and pores and skin, that
- 5 First Attempt South Africa Itinerary - Advice Please
- 6 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 7 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 8 Tiberias with kids
- 9 Lion World
- 10 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 11 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 12 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 13 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 14 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 15 Mpumalanga visit
- 16 safe areas to go on safari
- 17 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 18 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 19 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 20 Victoria Falls
- 21 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
- 22 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 23 2015: South Africa for a fortnight
- 24 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 25 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --