Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Unbelievable Day trip to paradise valley
- 2 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 3 Hotels in Nairobi
- 4 Green Season Safari Questions
- 5 Novice Safari question
- 6 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 7 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 8 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 9 Quick question about Kenya..
- 10 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 11 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 12 Morocco in April 2014
- 13 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 14 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 15 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 16 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 17 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 18 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 19 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 20 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 21 Uganda Travel Planning
- 22 Israel and Jordan
- 23 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 24 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant
- 25 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September