Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 2 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 3 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 4 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 5 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 6 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 7 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 8 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 9 Tour to Morocco
- 10 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 11 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 12 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 13 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 14 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 15 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 16 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 17 Uganda again
- 18 November at victoria falls
- 19 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 20 Best tour guides in Jerusalem
- 21 Climb Kilimanjaro advice
- 22 NEVER travel with Grande Navi Veloci
- 23 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 24 Royal Jordanian or El Al: For Tel Aviv with Petra Side-trip
- 25 What is a normal price for driver from Amman airport to Petra