Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 2 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 3 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 4 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 5 Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 6 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 7 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 8 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 9 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 10 Itinerary and logistics of Mid April Mrocco solo
- 11 Kenya and Tanzaniz combined 13 days Safari
- 12 13 Days Tanzania and Kenya Safari
- 13 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 14 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 15 Buying merchandise
- 16 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 17 Egypt January-February 2018
- 18 safari for the mobility impaired
- 19 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 20 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 21 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 22 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 23 Need a Car in Nassau?
- 24 Dining in Cape Town
- 25 Change Tour Operators at Last Minute?
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --