Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 2 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 3 Drinking on safari
- 4 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 5 Shots for Morocco
- 6 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 7 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 8 Travelust
- 9 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 10 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 11 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 12 South Africa in February?
- 13 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 14 Thinking about The Gambia
- 15 Independence Day in Israel
- 16 Private Guide in Israel - Cost question
- 17 correct date of last post: free ebook available Sunday Dec 11
- 18 Dubai Sand Dune dinner
- 19 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 20 “Extensive tour around Egypt in 36 Days”
- 21 Help in finding Israel tour guide Moshe Nov
- 22 Best Time to View Big Game in South Africa
- 23 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 24 Kenya safari tour/cost
- 25 Uganda or Rwanda 2015