Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 South Africa trip advices
- 2 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 3 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 4 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 5 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 6 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 7 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 8 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 9 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 10 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 11 First time in Africa on safari
- 12 South Africa Peer-to-Peer Vehicle Rentals
- 13 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 14 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 15 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 16 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 17 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 18 Namibia - Camping Tour
- 19 Dubai Airport: is it safe for a woman traveling alone?
- 20 Two weeks in Qatar, how much money to budget?
- 21 Transport Available from Harare to Victoria Falls - 17 Aug 2014
- 22 Tanzania Safari - The Good, The Bad, The Unexpected and The Amazing!!
- 23 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 24 Binoculars for safari
- 25 South Luangwa Wild Dogs......article in NYTimes