Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 2 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 3 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 4 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 5 To go to Israel or not?
- 6 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 7 Dubai > Oman?
- 8 Dubai > Seychelles hop
- 9 Botswana Green Season 2014/15 Camp discounted pricing
- 10 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 11 Morocco Tour: Marrakech Fes Merzouga Camel Trek in Sahara
- 12 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Lake Manze Camp
- 13 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Selous Impala Camp
- 14 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 15 Masai Mara Epic Big Five and Wildbeast Migration
- 16 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 17 Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya
- 18 Awesome trip and still not done
- 19 South Africa
- 20 Some Cape Town hotel - day tour suggestions?
- 21 2 weeks in Oman - Our experience
- 22 Private Conservancy Recommendations
- 23 Jordanesert,Rose City, Fabulous views,Unearthly landscapes.
- 24 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 25 Erta Ale volcano in Ethiopia - anybody been there?