Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 2 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 3 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 4 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 5 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 6 Boutique hotels in israel
- 7 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 8 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 9 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 10 Short layover at JNB
- 11 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 12 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 13 A family safari in Tanzania
- 14 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 15 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 16 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 17 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?
- 18 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 19 Safari in Tanzania with Zinga African Safaris
- 20 Any Experience with Africa Tours?
- 21 Tanzania Safari Itinerary Help Please?!!...Or Book When I Get There?
- 22 Uganda/Rwanda Gorilla Trekking
- 23 Israel and Petra
- 24 Tanzania Safari 7 or 8 night itinerary recommendations
- 25 Car Service - Abu Dhabi to Dubai