Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Great travel, with the exception of a little visa snafu (see also: Luang Prabang/Bangkok trip report).
Thanks for everyone who provided advice.
Recommendations from my experience:
• Obtain an advance visa if you’re crossing at Allenby/King Hussein Bridge. You can obtain an onsite visa at the other two bridges
• Stay at one of the many boutique hotels. Brown TLV is the best value; Alma Hotel and Lounge and Neve Tzedek Hotel are the swankiest
• Indulge in fruits, nuts, candies, olives and more at the Carmel Market
• Explore Jaffa’s twisting alleys and market
• Shop and enjoy premium street art in the Neve Tzedek neighborhood
• Walk scenic Rothschild Boulevard
• Have a drink and a nosh on lively Sheinken Street
• Get lost in the Old City.
Walk the rampart walls
Try your luck at the Western Wall
Attempt redemption at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
• Stay at the King David Hotel if you can afford it
• People watch on Ben Yahuda Street
• Allow for plenty of time to get through Ben Gurion Airport Security. A lot.
• Stay at the Marriott Dead Sea Resort (request a corner room with a patio) and float in the Dead Sea
• Stay at the Feynan Ecolodge (one-of-a-kind gem) and hike the Dana Biosphere Reserve
• Rent a vehicle – it’s the easiest way to get around and the driving is easy (unless you’re crossing Wadi Namla). Rent a 4x4 vehicle if you’re crossing Wadi Namla
• Gas up often: gas stations aren’t plentiful
• Jordanian men are very good-looking. Not so much advice, here – just my commentary
• Obviously, see Petra. The 800-step climb up to see The Monastery is worth it
• Book a camel ride at Wadi Rum – but I recommend keeping it short as the bouncing gets old
Jordan & Israel Travelogue (Subtitle: Nothing is Ever Easy)
Hi All --
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 2 I'm going on safari for free!
- 3 tanzania serengeti northern circuit self drive
- 4 Mashatu, Kgalagadi to Caprivi and a Moremi mobile with Masson Safaris
- 5 Travel Agent in DC: Seeking Reviews
- 6 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 7 Dubai first time
- 8 Morocco Advice
- 9 Private guide, non-self drive Namibia with Wild Dog Safaris in June
- 10 Overland from the Cape to the Serengeti
- 11 Observation - Possible Limited Space During Peak Season
- 12 South Africa's Eight UNESCO Sites
- 13 2015 Family Safari Tanzania Questions
- 14 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 15 5 day Seychelles trip in December
- 16 Anyone Else heading to Egypt in December?
- 17 16 day mixed trip
- 18 7 days visit to Jordan in Dec 2014
- 19 Canadian Insurance
- 20 Evacuation Insurance
- 21 Botswana - Kwara or Victoria Falls/Chobe (after 9 nights around Kruger)
- 22 Bespoke East Africa Kenya and Tanzania Safari
- 23 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 24 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 25 Dubai Safari Tour