I'll be in South Africa for a mere 9 nights/10 days in January. It will be my first time to South Africa and on safari, and I am extremely excited!
I'll be in Cape Town for 4 nights, then the winelands for 2 nights, and want to finish with a 3 night safari. Cape Town I booked independently, but I've been looking at quotes for the winelands + safari portion.
I've read a bunch of old trip reports and posts, but would love to see if anyone has an opinion on the best place to stay in the January green season. Here are my main options:
-Ngala Safari Lodge
-Kapama Buffalo Camp
-Madikwe River Lodge
Based on value for money and perceived quality of the experience and game viewing, I am leaning towards Kirkman's Kamp. Ngala I think is a fine option, but as of now I prefer KK for the Sabi Sand area access. I am skeptical of the whole fenced reserve experience so I'm not sure on Kapama. Madikwe intrigues me because of the wild dog populations, but the quote for the transfers and safari to Madikwe is much higher than the Kruger area safaris, and I don't think the overall experience would be that much "better" (if at all!)
KK the right choice here? If there's anyone here with experience going in January or green season in general with some tips, I would greatly appreciate comments.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 safari for the mobility impaired
- 2 Recommendations for Houseboat in Chobe
- 3 Car Rental Casablanca Aptil
- 4 Kenya and Tanzaniz combined 13 days Safari
- 5 13 Days Tanzania and Kenya Safari
- 6 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 7 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 8 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 9 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 10 Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 11 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 12 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 13 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 14 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 15 Itinerary and logistics of Mid April Mrocco solo
- 16 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 17 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 18 Buying merchandise
- 19 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 20 Egypt January-February 2018
- 21 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 22 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 23 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 24 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 25 Need a Car in Nassau?