I'll be in South Africa for a mere 9 nights/10 days in January. It will be my first time to South Africa and on safari, and I am extremely excited!
I'll be in Cape Town for 4 nights, then the winelands for 2 nights, and want to finish with a 3 night safari. Cape Town I booked independently, but I've been looking at quotes for the winelands + safari portion.
I've read a bunch of old trip reports and posts, but would love to see if anyone has an opinion on the best place to stay in the January green season. Here are my main options:
-Ngala Safari Lodge
-Kapama Buffalo Camp
-Madikwe River Lodge
Based on value for money and perceived quality of the experience and game viewing, I am leaning towards Kirkman's Kamp. Ngala I think is a fine option, but as of now I prefer KK for the Sabi Sand area access. I am skeptical of the whole fenced reserve experience so I'm not sure on Kapama. Madikwe intrigues me because of the wild dog populations, but the quote for the transfers and safari to Madikwe is much higher than the Kruger area safaris, and I don't think the overall experience would be that much "better" (if at all!)
KK the right choice here? If there's anyone here with experience going in January or green season in general with some tips, I would greatly appreciate comments.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Cradle of Humankind
- 2 Johannesburg...?
- 3 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 4 Luxury train ride
- 5 Is a riad pool in Marrakech usable in May?
- 6 Safari - Camera / Binoculars
- 7 1.5 hours layover Dubai-enough time?
- 8 Morocco Working Itinerary
- 9 Lag b'Omer: Tel Aviv - Meron after shabbat: how?
- 10 Petra from Israel
- 11 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 12 Vaccinations and Traveling S Africa / Botswana / Seychelles
- 13 Kenya + Seychelles Honeymoon
- 14 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 15 israel tour
- 16 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 17 Can the Seychelles be done on a budget?
- 18 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 19 Safety in Fes
- 20 6 Weeks in South & East Africa - travel advice
- 21 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 22 Sim card mainly for data
- 23 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 24 Morocco: no such thing as fixed price in Medina
- 25 August 2017 Travel to Kenya/Tanzania