I'll be in South Africa for a mere 9 nights/10 days in January. It will be my first time to South Africa and on safari, and I am extremely excited!
I'll be in Cape Town for 4 nights, then the winelands for 2 nights, and want to finish with a 3 night safari. Cape Town I booked independently, but I've been looking at quotes for the winelands + safari portion.
I've read a bunch of old trip reports and posts, but would love to see if anyone has an opinion on the best place to stay in the January green season. Here are my main options:
-Ngala Safari Lodge
-Kapama Buffalo Camp
-Madikwe River Lodge
Based on value for money and perceived quality of the experience and game viewing, I am leaning towards Kirkman's Kamp. Ngala I think is a fine option, but as of now I prefer KK for the Sabi Sand area access. I am skeptical of the whole fenced reserve experience so I'm not sure on Kapama. Madikwe intrigues me because of the wild dog populations, but the quote for the transfers and safari to Madikwe is much higher than the Kruger area safaris, and I don't think the overall experience would be that much "better" (if at all!)
KK the right choice here? If there's anyone here with experience going in January or green season in general with some tips, I would greatly appreciate comments.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Shimba Hills Mombasa Kenya Would This Works As A Day Trip From A Cruise?
- 2 Best books to read before Morocco visit? (not guide books)
- 3 Mini DV or Mini DVD Camcorder?
- 4 5 Interesting Nigerian Marriage Traditions
- 5 4 Nigerian Foods with Foreign Origins
- 6 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 7 4th Safari with Warrior Trails in 2016
- 8 Lady Liuwa no more !!
- 9 4 Interesting African Traditional Wedding Customs
- 10 Gamewatchers are great for helping plan
- 11 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 12 Women's wear for Dubai?
- 13 Dubai Guide
- 14 Solo/female/40's US traveler req tour operator recommendations
- 15 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 16 Cape Town/ Wineland Tour
- 17 Bush plane luggage (again)
- 18 Loldia House Kenya
- 19 rekero and encounter mara vehicles
- 20 Alexandria
- 21 kicheche compared to porini
- 22 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 23 Planning Tanzania trip-how many months?
- 24 Chefchaouen Report
- 25 Tracking Gorillas