I'm getting married at the end of June & looking for a honeymoon to spend £3000 / $5000!
I work for an airline in the UK so I'm not including any air travel in the budget
I'm want to give my fiancée 2 options which she can choose from - 10 days in the Maldives (I've already been getting quotes for many places there - thanks god for travel industry discount!) OR a Safari / Beach type holiday:
We fly into Nairobi, Jo'burg, Dar-es-Salaam, Entebbe & Lusaka so looking at safari's within a drive / short flight from there.
Seeing as there are so many choices, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safari which is fairly luxurious (fit for a honeymoon anyway!) yet not going to blow the majority of my budget without leaving any for a few days on the beach somewhere!
I have had quotes from places like the Lion Sands River Lodge / Londolozi / Mala Mala but they are upwards of Zar4000 pppn (£800 per night for the 2 of us!!).
We'd be starting the honeymoon around the beginning of July so realise it'll be fairly cool in SA then but I assume it'll be warmer further north.
The safari itself, I'd prefer to be in a tented environment rather than a bog standard hotel - would be nice to be able to see / hear wildlife from the camp itself rather but it'd also be ace to be able to see the big 5 whilst we're there!
(I've done a couple of cheapy safari's before- one north of JNB & one in Pamuzinda safari lodge near Harare so I've seen my big 5!!)
All comments gratefully received!
I've got £3000 / $5000 to spend....Help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 2 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 3 Jordan safety concerns
- 4 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 7 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 8 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 9 A family safari in Tanzania
- 10 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 11 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 12 Uganda Trip Report
- 13 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 14 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 15 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 16 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 17 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 18 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 19 Boutique hotels in israel
- 20 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 21 Short layover at JNB
- 22 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 23 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 24 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 25 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?