Hello fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Israel in late August / early September for about 12 days. A rough draft itinerary is as follows: Spend the first 2 nights in Tel Aviv, then pick up a rental car and head north to Caesarea for the day, visit the Roman ruins on land, and dive among the ruins of the underwater archeological park. Onto Haifa for 2 nights, see Bahai Gardens and visit Akko for the day, spending the night in Haifa. Then we have at least 2 options:
1. Drive from Haifa to Tiberias, visiting the Zippori National Park en route, and spending 2 nights in Tiberias. Visit Safed the following day, spend the night in Tiberias, and then head south to Masada and the Dead Sea, visiting Bet She'an on the way. Spend 1 night in the Ein Gedi area, drive to Jerusalem, drop the rental car and spend the final 4 full days in Jerusalem. Or -
2. After a day trip to Akko, rather then drive back to spend a second night in Haifa - continue on to Safed, spend the night there and visit the city the next day. Then move onto Tiberias, and head south as described above.
Is the Zippori National Park worth making a detour for?
Also, is it safe to park in Caesarea for the day with a car full of luggage (albeit in the trunk and hopefully out of view?) I have read of break-ins the area. Would it be safer to simply head up to Haifa, unpack and double-back to Caesarea for the day?
Do we face the same "issue" (if indeed, it is in an issue), if we drive from Haifa to Akko, and leave our car (with luggage) there whilst visiting the sights for the day (before continuing on to Safed for the night), as opposed to doubling-back to Haifa for the night.
While It seems more direct and efficient, time-wise, to move from one destination to another (Tel Aviv - Caesarea - Haifa - Akko - Safed - Tiberias, etc.), stopping at hotels en route - I wonder if it would be better to have two main bases in the area (Haifa and Tiberias) and make daytrips from there?
What do you think?
Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Has Anyone Been to Sudan...?
- 2 Morocco Trip Report
- 3 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 4 Kenya Safari Tour Operator Recommendations
- 5 Where to go for lunch and dinner in Fes, Marrakech, and Essaouira
- 6 Free walking tours Medina Marrakech ???
- 7 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 8 Israel Transportation
- 9 Changing planes at Dubai
- 10 Chaos in the old Medina-Marrakech
- 11 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 12 North African Tips for a First Timer
- 13 Morocco help
- 14 First trip to Africa
- 15 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 16 3 day desert tour: Marrakech to Merzouga
- 17 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 18 IRAN
- 19 Money in Uganda
- 20 Uganda Visa
- 21 accomodation near Mata Mata Border post
- 22 Egypt- Dec Itinerary-help needed
- 23 Private Guide for Cairo
- 24 Egypt - Need Help!
- 25 Attractions in Cairo and around
Hello fellow Fodorites,