I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco to portugal
- 2 Car Rentals in Israel
- 3 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 4 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 5 Independence Day in Israel
- 6 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 7 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 8 South Africa in February?
- 9 Drinking on safari
- 10 Travelust
- 11 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 12 Shots for Morocco
- 13 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 14 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 15 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 16 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 17 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 18 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 19 Thinking about The Gambia
- 20 Private Guide in Israel - Cost question
- 21 correct date of last post: free ebook available Sunday Dec 11
- 22 Dubai Sand Dune dinner
- 23 DAY TRIP FROM AGADIR
- 24 “Extensive tour around Egypt in 36 Days”
- 25 Help in finding Israel tour guide Moshe Nov