I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Is this too ambitious for a trip to Africa?
- 2 Help! Need guidance for safari to Kenya and Tanzania late May
- 3 botswana, zimbabwe/zambia trip advice
- 4 short report: the wonderful gambia
- 5 Tanzania - private guide with vehicle
- 6 Tour Operator/Vendor for safari planning suggestions?
- 7 Itinerary Help-South Africa
- 8 Please help me choose which Tanzania safari!
- 9 Things to see in Dubai
- 10 Great Tanzania trip in the off season
- 11 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 12 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 13 Migration in Serengeti July/August
- 14 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 15 looking for nice boutique hotel in tel aviv
- 16 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 17 Garden Route PE to Cape Town
- 18 Safari on a budget!
- 19 Tips for Israel
- 20 al-fayoum oasis in 1/2 day
- 21 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 22 Road To Morocco Tours
- 23 Kasbahs, camels, and couscous - 12 days in Morocco
- 24 Obtaining Visas for Egypt
- 25 Transfers to and from the Ben gurion airport TLV