I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 2 Rip-off Warning: Duty Free Shop in Dar es Salaam
- 3 Jordan safety concerns
- 4 Winelands, South Africa - Need a Plan
- 5 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 6 Yellow fever vaccination for trip to southern Africa
- 7 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 8 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 9 A family safari in Tanzania
- 10 Early Planning for Spring/Summer 2016 - Wild Dogs, Leopards and Cheetahs
- 11 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 12 Uganda Trip Report
- 13 Epic budget trip in Kenya and Tanzania (safari and more)
- 14 Popular destinations in Africa.
- 15 Central African Republic: Open for Tourists Again
- 16 Morocco Sahara Desert Tour Experience
- 17 LION WORLD TRAVEL
- 18 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 19 Boutique hotels in israel
- 20 Tanzania Self Drive June 2015
- 21 Short layover at JNB
- 22 Angata Ngorongoro v Rhino Ldg/Angata Bolongoja v Tingitana Nrth Serengeti
- 23 Uganda or Rwanda?
- 24 Driving from Casablanca to Marrakesh?
- 25 Soweto guide and pricing to expect?