I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Long layover at Hamad Airport, Doha
- 2 Side trip from Kigali Rwanda
- 3 First trip to Africa in December-January
- 4 Tanzania or Kenya in October
- 5 MAGICAL, MEZMERIZING MOROCCO (Revised)
- 6 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 7 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 8 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 9 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 10 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 11 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 12 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 13 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 14 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 15 Charity begins at Home!
- 16 Sun Safaris
- 17 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 18 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 19 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 20 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 21 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 22 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 23 Tour to Morocco
- 24 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 25 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?