I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Unbelievable Day trip to paradise valley
- 2 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 3 Hotels in Nairobi
- 4 Green Season Safari Questions
- 5 Novice Safari question
- 6 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 7 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 8 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 9 Quick question about Kenya..
- 10 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 11 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 12 Morocco in April 2014
- 13 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 14 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 15 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 16 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 17 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 18 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 19 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 20 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 21 Uganda Travel Planning
- 22 Israel and Jordan
- 23 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 24 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant
- 25 Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September