I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 2 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 3 Tour to Morocco
- 4 Morrocco and Cash
- 5 Rhino conservation in S Africa
- 6 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 7 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 8 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 9 South Africa trip advices
- 10 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 11 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 12 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 13 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 14 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 15 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 16 First time in Africa on safari
- 17 South Africa Peer-to-Peer Vehicle Rentals
- 18 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 19 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 20 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 21 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 22 Namibia - Camping Tour
- 23 Dubai Airport: is it safe for a woman traveling alone?
- 24 Two weeks in Qatar, how much money to budget?
- 25 Transport Available from Harare to Victoria Falls - 17 Aug 2014