I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 2 Questions about Chobe
- 3 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 4 Interested in joining me on Nov. 16-23 Liuwa Plain trip?
- 5 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 Which Southern Africa Itinerary
- 8 Lake Ngami (Bots) - anybody been there lately?
- 9 Namibia road conditions
- 10 elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA
- 11 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 12 Botswana - Kwara or Victoria Falls/Chobe (after 9 nights around Kruger)
- 13 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 14 Zambia, A Scenic Arrival
- 15 Most affordable airfare to get to the Western Sabi lodges
- 16 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 17 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 18 Looking for child friendly self catering house in Cape Town in March 2015
- 19 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 20 Ebola and Morocco
- 21 Thompson Gazelle
- 22 Overland in West Africa
- 23 Domestic flight to HDS/MQP from JNB??
- 24 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 25 Morrocco and Cash