I'm planning a possible trip to Mauritius, the Seychelles or Bazaruto in Mozambique. My future parents in law have been to Mauritius and loved it, but their tastes in travel destinations are quite different from mine and my fiancé. I am having trouble working out if Mauritius can offer me the sort of holiday I'm looking for and how it compares to Bazaruto and the Seychelles..
Preferably I like deserted beaches, clear water, plenty of snorkelling, and am quite happy in rustic accommodation. Although a nice self catering or B& B suits me fine too. Not so keen on a huge hotel with a million tourists with kids hanging out.
I spent a month camping in Vilankulos in Mozambique and a few nights on Benguerra Island, which were amazing. Not so many people around, wonderful views, warm weather and great snorkelling and adventure.
I'd like to visit Mauritius but am worried that I wont be able to find the perfect deserted beach, and that its packed with tourists, which is not my cup of tea.
Another comparison perhaps would be Koh Phangan in Thailand, this island had a good combo of tourist areas, and the general amenities which go with them, restaurants, scooter rental etc, but it was also possible to get away from the crowds if you did a little trekking or took a boat to a secluded beach.
Can anyone give me a better idea of what Mauritius is like?
Another place I'd like to visit is the Seychelles, can anyone give me a comparison on that as well.
Thanks so much!
Is Mauritius very touristy?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 2 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh
- 3 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 4 Questions about Chobe
- 5 What camera to use on safari
- 6 Ethiopian Air - Horrible
- 7 Botswana vs Namibia in May
- 8 Discover Namibia Tours & Safaris - Gemma Dry
- 9 FOREX Nairobi airport
- 10 To go to Israel or not?
- 11 Bidair at JNB
- 12 Saw the Big 5 in one day in the Mara last week!
- 13 Trip report/blog - South Africa honeymoon
- 14 Trip report about self-driving in Northern Namibia for 2 weeks in May 2014
- 15 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 16 Eastern Cape Lodges
- 17 Best Month for Experiencing The Great Migration
- 18 Dubai > Oman?
- 19 Dubai > Seychelles hop
- 20 Botswana Green Season 2014/15 Camp discounted pricing
- 21 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 22 Morocco Tour: Marrakech Fes Merzouga Camel Trek in Sahara
- 23 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Lake Manze Camp
- 24 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Selous Impala Camp
- 25 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp