My wife and I went to Dubai a few years back (March 2002) and we had a good time there (check out the trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/dubai.htm ). The other day I talked to a guy who had lived in Dubai for for a year in 2002 and he said that he could hardly recognize the place when he returned in 2005. I see that they have been building like crazy over the years so I guess a lot will change there.
But I have also gotten the impression that Dubai is becoming more of an expensive destination. Or is my impression totally wrong? Is Dubai still an affordable destination? When we went there is 2002 we stayed in Bur Dubai and we ate at many local places in town and we only went out to places like Jumeirah on day trips. I did find quite a lot of good offers in the malls and I came home with stuff like shoes, squash rackets...even a surround sound amplifier Is it still a shopping paradise?
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Is Dubai an affordable destination?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morrocco and Cash
- 2 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 3 Car Hire Victoria Mahe Seychelles
- 4 Sabi Sand Game Reserve Expert (Skukuza, South Africa)
- 5 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 6 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 7 Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar Travel Tips
- 8 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 9 South Africa trip advices
- 10 Dubai transit with different connecting flights
- 11 Questions on 10 day Morocco winter vacation
- 12 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 13 Tour to Morocco
- 14 Rhino conservation in S Africa
- 15 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 16 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 17 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 18 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 19 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 20 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 21 First time in Africa on safari
- 22 South Africa Peer-to-Peer Vehicle Rentals
- 23 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 24 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 25 Cairo Hotels and Safety