This would be a self-drive camping trip, no guides, except for Rwanda which we will do on a tour - given the situation in the Congo.
Two Canadians, mid-50s, have done 3 previous self-drives through southern Africa in SA (including the Eastern Cape), Namibia & Botswana. Lived in SA in 2004-2005. Have not visited any of the three countries previously.
Equipment: Fully-equipped Land Rover with a roof-top tent, GPS and Tracks 4 Africa maps
Time frame: Last week of July and first 3 weeks of August 2009.
Fly Calgary to London to Nairobi
Overnight Nairobi because flight won't arrive until ~9pm
Fly Nairobi to Kigali - drive with tour group to hotel near the park - maybe Gorilla's Nest - I have read a huge assortment of good/bad reviews for this place but don't want to pay the Silverback Lodge rate.
Overnight: Gorilla's Nest
Gorilla trek in the morning - we may stay another day and add another gorilla trek - that seems to be what everyone on this forum recommends
Transfer back to Kigali
Visit the genocide museum in the morning
Fly Kigali to Nairobi
4x4 handover and stock up for trip
Drive Nairobi to Maasai Mara
Next 6 nights - camping in Maasai Mara in a "special" campsite - the special campsites are isolated and within the park and can be reserved ahead of time - as opposed to the public sites that tend to be at the gates
Drive from Maasai Mara to Speke Bay in Tanzania - Oloololo Gate C13 to Lolgoriem and then Suna, south to the border on the A1 and then south through Tarime to Speke Bay
Overnight Speke Bay Lodge - showers and hot water! yahoo!
Speke Bay to the Serengeti - the Western Corridor
Two nights in a special campsite in the Western Corridor
Western Corridor to Seronera area
1 night camping in the Seronera area
Seronera to Lobo area
2 nights camping in the Lobo area
Lobo to Seronera - 2 more nights camping in the Seronera area
Seronera area to Ngorongoro with stops at the shifting sands and Olduvai Gorge
2 nights at Lemala Tented Camp - our splurge for the trip - we want to be on the eastern edge of the crater so that we can use the Sopa raod - it will time for a little luxury!!
2 morning visits to the crater - would we be better doing one morning and one afternoon? We will go into the crater at 6am and hope to beat the breakfast crowd - afternoon visit to Irkeepusi Cultural Boma 2km NE of Lemala Gate - anyone been there?
After a morning drive in the crater, drive to Lake Manyara
3 nights at a special campsite in the south of the park
Drive Lake Manyara to Tanangire NP - 3 nights in Tanangire NP in a special campsite in the south
Drive Tanangire NP to Arusha
Return the 4x4
Land transfer from Arusha to Nairobi for 11pm flight to London
Any input would be appreciated - too long in certain parks? Wrong area of the Serengeti? We enjoy scenery, birds, all animals - we are not just going for the migration!
Input needed - Rwanda, Kenya & Tanzania itinerary
- 1 Volunteer Work In Africa
- 2 Safari Cost Comparison
- 3 Safari and Beach in June
- 4 Cape town and Kruger National Park in November
- 5 Help! First African safari!!!
- 6 Choosing between Ethiopia or Togo-Ghana for backpacking trip!
- 7 Map of Safari Camps in Greater Kruger?
- 8 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 9 Grootberg Lodge & Camp Kipwe in Damaraland, Namibia
- 10 Interested In Visiting Tanzania For An Adventure? Join Me!
- 11 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 12 Ghana trip report - independently using public transport
- 13 Any advice for travelling to Ghana, Ivory Coast and the Gambia?
- 14 Cheap flights for Ghana
- 15 My trip to Egypt .....
- 16 dubai for 5 days
- 17 WHERE TO? Botswana? Tanzania? South Africa?
- 18 Help with travel plans for Dubai
- 19 Dubai Airport to cruise terminal
- 20 Bugs n' Botswana
- 21 Group Trip to Israel
- 22 My Trip to Palestine
- 23 1st Time Safari to South Africa -Lodge Recommendations!
- 24 TRIP REPORTART I: BUDGET, NOVICE TRIP TO ETHIOPIA AND KENYA
- 25 Being a tourist in Dubai