Having finally completed the Mother of All Trip Reports for the Botswana segment of my trip, it’s nice to be starting afresh for the South African segment. For reference, my itinerary was as follows:
8 July: Johannesburg (Ten Bompas)
9 – 10 July: Sabi Sands (Singita Ebony)
11 – 13 July: Sabi Sands (Mala Mala Sable Camp)
14 – 15 July: Sabi Sands (Londolozi Pioneer Camp)
16 July: Johannesburg (The Grace)
For those who have not followed the Botswana section of this trip report, the itinerary for that segment was as follows:
22 June: Depart London on overnight Virgin Atlantic flight
23 June: Johannesburg (The Saxon)
24 – 27 June: Linyanti (Savuti Camp)
28 June – 2 July: Okavango Delta (Mombo Camp)
3 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lebala)
4 – 5 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lagoon)
6 – 7 July: Makgadikgadi Pans (Jack’s Camp)
The trip report can be read on the following thread:
A few notes in the itinerary – those of you who are familiar with my postings and my ‘3-night-minimum stay’ rule will probably be surprised to see so many 2-night stays on this itinerary. When I’m travelling purely for pleasure, I definitely stick to the 3-night rule, but since this was a site inspection trip for Destiny Africa I did a couple of 2-nighters in order to visit some additional camps. With both Mombo and Singita on my itinerary everything had to be scheduled around their availability – the 1-night stay at Lebala was an artefact of scheduling as it wasn’t possible to get three nights at Lagoon or three nights at Jack’s.
You might also be surprised to see three Sabi Sands reserves (all neighbouring each other) – normally I’d prefer a longer stay at only one reserve, as IMO it’s a bit silly to stay two nights at one reserve and then go next door for another two nights, particularly when you’ll probably end up seeing a lot of the same animals as their territories cross reserve boundaries. That aside, seeing the Big Three of the Sabi Sand back-to-back was a rare experience, and absolutely fascinating.
Now on to the trip report!
I Speak of (South) Africa... 8-17 July 2006 (Jasher)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Hotels in Nairobi
- 2 Dubai - to go or not to go?
- 3 South Africa escorted tour - your comments please!
- 4 Uganda Travel Planning
- 5 Short stop in Dubai on our way to Bangkok for a few days
- 6 We're going to Jordan and Israel
- 7 need private tour guide for Jordan
- 8 Kenya Safari: Ngerende Island Lodge, Mara Bushtops, or Porini Camps?
- 9 Tanzania: Ruaha & Selous in June
- 10 Green Season Safari Questions
- 11 Novice Safari question
- 12 Choosing Between Africa Odyssey, Africa Adventure Company, & andBeyond
- 13 Morocco Desert Safari - end of May too hot?
- 14 Quick question about Kenya..
- 15 Choosing A Morocco Tour Operator?
- 16 Morocco in April 2014
- 17 Connect Hemisphere Safaris - BEWARE: Fraudulent, Incompetent
- 18 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 19 Proposed Zambia Itinerary Update
- 20 Anyone going to Tanzania soon ?
- 21 Saudi Arabia and Oman?
- 22 Best time to go to South Africa?
- 23 Israel and Jordan
- 24 Tour of Morocco, is this a good one?
- 25 Tel Aviv Special Occasion Restaurant