Having finally completed the Mother of All Trip Reports for the Botswana segment of my trip, it’s nice to be starting afresh for the South African segment. For reference, my itinerary was as follows:
8 July: Johannesburg (Ten Bompas)
9 – 10 July: Sabi Sands (Singita Ebony)
11 – 13 July: Sabi Sands (Mala Mala Sable Camp)
14 – 15 July: Sabi Sands (Londolozi Pioneer Camp)
16 July: Johannesburg (The Grace)
For those who have not followed the Botswana section of this trip report, the itinerary for that segment was as follows:
22 June: Depart London on overnight Virgin Atlantic flight
23 June: Johannesburg (The Saxon)
24 – 27 June: Linyanti (Savuti Camp)
28 June – 2 July: Okavango Delta (Mombo Camp)
3 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lebala)
4 – 5 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lagoon)
6 – 7 July: Makgadikgadi Pans (Jack’s Camp)
The trip report can be read on the following thread:
A few notes in the itinerary – those of you who are familiar with my postings and my ‘3-night-minimum stay’ rule will probably be surprised to see so many 2-night stays on this itinerary. When I’m travelling purely for pleasure, I definitely stick to the 3-night rule, but since this was a site inspection trip for Destiny Africa I did a couple of 2-nighters in order to visit some additional camps. With both Mombo and Singita on my itinerary everything had to be scheduled around their availability – the 1-night stay at Lebala was an artefact of scheduling as it wasn’t possible to get three nights at Lagoon or three nights at Jack’s.
You might also be surprised to see three Sabi Sands reserves (all neighbouring each other) – normally I’d prefer a longer stay at only one reserve, as IMO it’s a bit silly to stay two nights at one reserve and then go next door for another two nights, particularly when you’ll probably end up seeing a lot of the same animals as their territories cross reserve boundaries. That aside, seeing the Big Three of the Sabi Sand back-to-back was a rare experience, and absolutely fascinating.
Now on to the trip report!
I Speak of (South) Africa... 8-17 July 2006 (Jasher)
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Dubai - Palm Island
- 2 Egypt safe travel
- 3 8 Days Kenya Safari Trip
- 4 Kenya/Tanzania Travel Buddies
- 5 Pilanesberg or Kruger? Please comment on my itinerary!
- 6 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 7 UAE Desert Safari
- 8 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 9 Where to go after visit to Uganda in late March/early April
- 10 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 11 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 12 South Africa in February?
- 13 best camera for semi-novice for safari in tanzania & kenya (nikon p500)
- 14 Egypt: Suggestions for what to do afternoon around Giza
- 15 Riad Saturday Night vs. Riad Dar El Janoub
- 16 Dubai first time
- 17 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 18 Zambia Impressions
- 19 Taste of Dubai
- 20 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 21 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 22 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 23 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 24 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 25 Johannesburg to Cape Town