Having finally completed the Mother of All Trip Reports for the Botswana segment of my trip, it’s nice to be starting afresh for the South African segment. For reference, my itinerary was as follows:
8 July: Johannesburg (Ten Bompas)
9 – 10 July: Sabi Sands (Singita Ebony)
11 – 13 July: Sabi Sands (Mala Mala Sable Camp)
14 – 15 July: Sabi Sands (Londolozi Pioneer Camp)
16 July: Johannesburg (The Grace)
For those who have not followed the Botswana section of this trip report, the itinerary for that segment was as follows:
22 June: Depart London on overnight Virgin Atlantic flight
23 June: Johannesburg (The Saxon)
24 – 27 June: Linyanti (Savuti Camp)
28 June – 2 July: Okavango Delta (Mombo Camp)
3 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lebala)
4 – 5 July: Linyanti (Kwando Lagoon)
6 – 7 July: Makgadikgadi Pans (Jack’s Camp)
The trip report can be read on the following thread:
A few notes in the itinerary – those of you who are familiar with my postings and my ‘3-night-minimum stay’ rule will probably be surprised to see so many 2-night stays on this itinerary. When I’m travelling purely for pleasure, I definitely stick to the 3-night rule, but since this was a site inspection trip for Destiny Africa I did a couple of 2-nighters in order to visit some additional camps. With both Mombo and Singita on my itinerary everything had to be scheduled around their availability – the 1-night stay at Lebala was an artefact of scheduling as it wasn’t possible to get three nights at Lagoon or three nights at Jack’s.
You might also be surprised to see three Sabi Sands reserves (all neighbouring each other) – normally I’d prefer a longer stay at only one reserve, as IMO it’s a bit silly to stay two nights at one reserve and then go next door for another two nights, particularly when you’ll probably end up seeing a lot of the same animals as their territories cross reserve boundaries. That aside, seeing the Big Three of the Sabi Sand back-to-back was a rare experience, and absolutely fascinating.
Now on to the trip report!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 (U.S)** AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 Narrowing down my 10 day itinerary
- 3 An Ugandan Urge- Gorillas & Chimps in the midst
- 4 Our Magic Carpet Ride-Marrakesh!
- 5 Tel Aviv-Haifa: gifts and presents. Any ideas?
- 6 Kenya/Tanzania
- 7 Dubai first time
- 8 2 nights in Dubai
- 9 16 hours in Qatar
- 10 Petra from Israel
- 11 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 12 A South African in Lusaka
- 13 Packing for trip to Tanzania
- 14 Need tour operator for Tanzania and Kenya
- 15 Where do I even start planning my SA safari?
- 16 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 17 RETURN TO BOTSWANA, PLUS JOHANNESBURG, 2017
- 18 Babies Galore: Kenya in April
- 19 Safari suggestions
- 20 Best places to eat in Egypt?
- 21 Cashgate Scandal Malawi effected my tour ?
- 22 Travel to Africa
- 23 Best SIM card companies for Kenya and Tanzania?
- 24 Beirut/Lebanon for 4 days--What not to miss?
- 25 Complaint: Russell Frankish / Green Bush Pig Safaris