Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
  2. 2 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
  3. 3 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
  4. 4 Safari In June
  5. 5 Business trip to Israel
  6. 6 Advice for 1st tip to Kenya
  7. 7 Trip Report Trip Report : Jordan and United Arab Emirates
  8. 8 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
  9. 9 honeymoon place
  10. 10 Suggestions needed for 5 days in Tunisia
  11. 11 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
  12. 12 Kenya Vs. tanzania
  13. 13 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
  14. 14 Trip Report Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
  15. 15 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
  16. 16 South African Safari Company Recommendations
  17. 17 Yom Hazikaron
  18. 18 Yom Haatzmaut
  19. 19 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
  20. 20 May 10-July 10 in Africa
  21. 21 recomendation on African Safari company
  22. 22 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
  23. 23 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
  24. 24 One extra day in Jordan
  25. 25 Trip Report Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
View next 25 » Back to the top

Help w/Zanzibar (& Fly540), please!

Jump to last reply

I posted back in August asking for ideas for a few days to be spent post-safari in Tanzania, with Zanzibar being top of mind. I received lots of good advice and information--Thank you all!

But now I've acted on some of that advice and am dismayed at how complicated this all is.
Is there a way to make this work? Or should I abandon the idea of a few days on Zanzibar and just return to the States with the safari group? I still have a few days in which I can change my departure date back.

Instead of returning with the group on Dec 22, I decided to return on Dec 27 and see fabled Zanzibar. My flight to the U.S. (via Amsterdam) now leaves from Kilimanjaro on Dec 27.

I booked a flight on Fly540 roundtrip Kilimanjaro-Zanzibar, with departure from Kili on Dec 23 and return on Dec 27.
I would spend the night of Dec 22 at KIA Lodge near Kilimanjaro and also get a day room there for Dec 27. KIA has free transfers to the Kili airport.
I contacted the safari outfitter (Kibo) about arranging hotel and tours on Zanzibar; they referred me to ZanTours. I contacted ZanTours and made arrangements for hotel and some tours.

Now the problems, starting with the most serious:
Fly540 has changed my departure city to Arusha, and they have changed my return flight to Dec 28. They tell me that they have simply changed their schedule, and that's the way it is. The Dec 28 flight is obviously impossible.
If I ask for a refund, do you think I'm likely to get it?
Is there another carrier that won't constantly change its schedule?

KIA said I could pay with a credit card by calling them and providing the number. (I didn't want to send my credit card number in an email.) Without payment, they would cancel the reservation. But they don't answer their phone. When I emailed to ask when would be convenient to call, the response (which I read many hours after it was sent, as it was sent around 4 am my time) was, "Call now. This is a good time."
They answer their phone only by pre-arrangement and at 4 am my time?

ZanTours wrote that everything was arranged, and they would send an invoice. The invoice didn't arrive and didn't arrive. After a couple of emails to them, I got an out-of-office until Oct 20 message from the invoice person.
Although I'm not used to long delays in being billed, I suppose this could still work out.

But if I can't get to/from Zanzibar, it doesn't really matter. Is there a solution? Or should I just eat my $284 airfare if Fly 540 won't give me a refund and abandon my few days on Zanzibar?

Advice greatly appreciated! I thought I'd have this all arranged before September, and it's almost mid October.

Cindy

10 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement