I realize that the topic is a mouthful, but I suspect not an uncommon combo. My husband and I are planning a trip (our first) to Africa. I have been lurking Fodors for years, but due to unforeseen circumstances, may be forced to quickly plan our trip for this year--May/June would be ideal and we cannot go later than August.
I have talked to a couple of tour operators for sample itineraries when I thought we would have more planning time, but they have not been especially responsive. I cannot take the YF vaccine due to health reasons, but my husband can. For this reason I have been advised to travel to Tanzania first, then Rwanda and lastly, Kenya.
Also, I was told that gorilla permits are still available if purchased before June. I think Uganda is on the list if that is not true, because I would really like to have 2 days to visit the gorillas if possible.
Our time on the ground in Africa would be 14-15 days with a budget of 11-14k/2pp. We would prefer a private driver for safari and our focus is seeing a variety of as many animals that is humanly possible.
Questions: IS this crazy/unrealistic?
Recommended last minute tour operators/itinerary?
Are there any gorilla permits left for this year? How do I find out?
Thank you for patiently reading through this, and thanks for any ideas or recommendations you may have.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 2 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 3 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 4 Tiberias with kids
- 5 Lion World
- 6 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 7 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 8 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 9 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 10 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 11 Mpumalanga visit
- 12 safe areas to go on safari
- 13 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 14 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 15 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 16 Victoria Falls
- 17 WOMEN DRIVING IN SA
- 18 8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.
- 19 2015: South Africa for a fortnight
- 20 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 21 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
- 22 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 23 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 24 Migration in Tanzania/Kenya - September
- 25 Trip to Kenya - Nov 26-Dec 9
Help needed with Gorilla permits in Rwanda, Safari in Kenya and Tanzania