I'm hoping to gain some guidance. I am trying to book a safari in Kenya and Tanzania at the end of May/beginning of June to celebrate my 30th birthday. I love to travel and this is the trip of my dreams to mark a milestone year. My husband and I normally book on our own when we travel internationally, but this time I was a little hesitant and was thinking about using a travel agent. When I started researching itineraries through travel agents, it was killing me to pay so much more to go through them. I am now thinking about booking my own flights and going through a local safari agent to get the itinerary I want for hopefully a little less expensive. Has anyone ever had experience with this? I was looking at DK Grand Safaris, Natural World Safaris and Gamewatchers Safaris. Our budget isn't huge (ideally $3,000-$4,000 per person), but I was hoping that I could benefit by going in low season and since many people have had Ebola fears and have cancelled. I am looking for about a 12 day safari because I would like to spend some time around Nairobi before or after the safari (14-17 total, additional money spent on time in Nairobi area). Since this is the most exotic location we will have ever been to, I am so nervous and overwhelmed! Can anyone offer guidance regarding booking on your own vs. through an agent. Also, can you shed light on the best areas to visit during that time of year? Thank you all in advance. I greatly appreciate everything!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 15 days Morocco Itinerary Help please
- 2 Wildbeest migration tour operator
- 3 Traditional music + dance in South Africa?
- 4 Israeli Tour Guides
- 5 What is worth seeing in November?
- 6 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 7 CASABLANCA for 1 Day
- 8 Masai Mara in May
- 9 Western Desert Itinerary
- 10 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 11 luggage for a weird itinerary
- 12 where to spend a night near JRO airport?
- 13 Marrakech - Which area to stay?
- 14 Middle Atlas or Chefchaouen
- 15 Trip to Merzouga
- 16 Lodge/Camp in Ruaha National Park
- 17 Uganda Visa
- 18 Border crossing (Bots-Zim-Zam)
- 19 Active Family's First Trip to Africa - South Africa or Botswana
- 20 Which one for safari: Bulele or Sabi Sands at Kruger - South Africa?
- 21 Help choosing Game Reserves in Kruger National Park, SouthAfrica
- 22 Purchase Tanzanite in Arusha/Tanzania
- 23 Marrakech Itinerary - Desert or Atlas?
- 24 safari private lodges - % off rack rates
- 25 Rwanda - Gorilla Trekking
Help! Need guidance for safari to Kenya and Tanzania late May