My parents and I are planning to visit Africa for the first time this December. We are from Central America and the reason for our trip is that I'll be moving to Swaziland on January; hence, my parents want to drop me off. As it is so far away, we would like to stay about three weeks to a month and we NEED to keep it LOW BUDGET... which I know can be pretty hard.
I have done plenty of research on where to go and what to do and know we want to decide whether to do a South Africa-only trip, or visit nearby places. There are so many places and safari tours that I don't know where to begin. We are probably flying through Argentina so I believe it would be more logical to start the trip in Cape Town and finish in Jo'burg due to its proximity with Swaziland. Do you recommend that we pay for several-day tours/travel agency or that we customize our own trip and book for individual tours as we like? Maybe staying at Airbnb houses when we are in the big cities to save more? Uber and flights or Car Rental for a self-driven trip? Or both?
- Kruger (3-4 days)
- Jo'burg: Soweto, Apartheid museum...
- Panoramic Route
- Cape Town: diving with sharks, Cape Peninsula, Table Mountain, Winelands, Waterfront, Robben Island
- Hot air balloon ride (where ever is best during that time of the year!)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park?
- Blyde River Canyon Nature
- Cango Caves? (not so sure about these)
- Zulu nation
- Kalahari/Namib Desert
- Victoria Falls
- Mapungubwe National Park for Baobab sight seeing
Please feel free to comment in any way you like! It would be lovely to cover all of our interests during those days, but we can understand if it is complicated or too out of our budget. Our interests are mainly based on research, but any local/expert opinion is widely needed!! What other places are worth visiting? Which aren't?
If you do believe we should contact a travel agency to either plan our trip or just a part of it, which one would it be? - if afraid this can be too expensive!
Any tips for keeping it low budget??
If you can suggest any itinerary it would be awesome!
Additional info: Although I will be staying in Swazi, my parents will go back to America after this, and I have no idea when they'll be back. I want my trip to be as great and enjoyable as it could be - as it will be my first trip ever with only the two of them and I am their "baby" whose moving out for the first time, so this is a huge step for us. Also, my dad ADORES animals and safaris and I love photography.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Isreal
- 2 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 3 Namibia: any suggestion for a 3 weeks self drive roundtrip?
- 4 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 5 Marrakech
- 6 Binocular rentals
- 7 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 8 Dead Sea day trip
- 9 Victoria and Albert Cape Town renovation status
- 10 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 11 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 12 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 13 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 14 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 15 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 16 Itinerary Ideas
- 17 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 18 Travel to Botswana
- 19 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 20 Loldia House Kenya
- 21 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 22 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 23 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 24 several short safaris vs one longer one
- 25 How many Days for the Okavango Delta