We are in the initial planning stages for a September 2017 safari to South Africa. Our first trip to Africa was in 2006 to Kenya and Tanzania. With the generous help of the Fodor's posters we booked an amazing custom safari.
This time around there will be four adults, two will be travelling to Africa for the first time. The main purpose is to go on safari (interested in night drives, game walks) with a few days in Cape Town and a few days at a beach location to round off our 18 day SA holiday.
At this point we are trying to pull together the ‘skeleton’ and flow of the itinerary. One major issue is that all our flight connections fly into Johannesburg and in order to cut down on travel time, it looks like we will have to do the safari portion first. While we would prefer to save the safari until the end of the trip we don’t want to spend more time travelling then we have to.
This is what the itinerary looks like so far:
Day 1-2 Travel to JBG
Day 3-10 Safari 7 nights (Combination of Kruger or Sabi-Sand or Mala Mala)
Day 11- 15 Cape Town 4 nights
Day 15-18 Beach location 3 nights
Day 18 -19 Travel home
We would appreciate advice on the above itinerary. We are also looking for suggestion for beach locations.
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Advice please: family SA safari August 2018
- 2 Gorrillas in Rwanda
- 3 Kenya Visa Requirements/Fake Visa Site
- 4 Dead Sea day trip
- 5 Wayo Africa (Tanzania) Green Camps
- 6 FODOR'S GUIDE TO CLOTHING FOR SAFARI
- 7 Marrakech
- 8 Trip Report Kenya 9 Days With Family
- 9 Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?
- 10 Itinerary Ideas
- 11 South Africa - Guidebook recommendation and other ??
- 12 Travel to Botswana
- 13 Iran travel itinerary -18 days April 2017
- 14 Loldia House Kenya
- 15 Kenya - Plastic Bags
- 16 gamer reserve, lodge, safari camp recommendations
- 17 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 18 South Africa visit: Cape Town and Kruger Park
- 19 several short safaris vs one longer one
- 20 How many Days for the Okavango Delta
- 21 Recommendations for busy coastal resorts in the Canaries
- 22 Restaurant in Cape Town
- 23 7 Days Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
- 24 Trip Report: Tanzania, Kenya & Zanzibar with MICATO May /June 2006
- 25 Using US Dollars in Israel ?