(You guys are awesome, used this site for New Zealand trip and could not be more impressed with the friendly and helpful people.)
My wife and I (mid-50’s) have read many threads over the last year and now are ready to jump in. We are looking for specific advice for a 13 – 16 day trip to southern Africa. This does not include international travel from the U.S. though we will gladly accept help on that.
Time: Last half of September to mid October or April to June 2009. We don’t think we can get accommodations for our spring 2008, but if that were possible we could go then. We don’t mind some rain but would like to avoid the heavy rainy season. Want to go when there is a greater chance of seeing a wide variety of wildlife, especially the big 5
We envision landing in Capetown to explore there for a couple days. Then safari to Okavango Delta, Linyanti and/or Chobe, proceed to Victoria Falls for a day. We also have read much about Phinda and Kruger. Our last stop would be Johannesburg for a day or two. Should this itinerary be reversed or should we depart from the arrival city? (It also appears from recent reading that Jo-burg is the arrival and departure city…is that right?)
We initially planned on $10 – 15,000 total, including air. If this budget is unreasonable, let us know because it can be adjusted.
We would like to stay at 3 to 4 camps. We do not want the very expensive luxury lodges.. Two nicer tent camps would be fine then maybe one or two small lodges. I like the accounts of small sites where wildlife are nearby. Mobile tent for one of the camps would also be a possibility. Is CC Africa’s Botswana Under Canvas mobile tents or permanent sites. The brochure makes that look inviting.
Do you typically find an agency that books the entire trip? Your advice is welcome.
Frank and Judy
First African Safari, need advice
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Child friendly holiday house or apartment in Cape Town (repeat request)
- 2 Around Morocco - Lahcen Boujouija
- 3 Uganda/Rwanda - trip report and lots of information for independent travel
- 4 Interesting and uncommon stuff to do in Tel Aviv?
- 5 Nairobi Airport Layover
- 6 Embarrassing question about gorilla tracking
- 7 New regulations for parents traveling to or in South Africa with children
- 8 Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight
- 9 Charity begins at Home!
- 10 Sun Safaris
- 11 Advice: soft luggage for S. Africa safari w/small planes
- 12 Small Tented Camp under $350USD in Kenya??
- 13 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 14 Just back from our Chobe and Delta trip-WOW,WOW, WOW!
- 15 Looking for a travel partner for photography trip to Africa
- 16 Morocco and Algeria or Tunisia
- 17 Tour to Morocco
- 18 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 19 Where should one seek adventure in Jerusalem?
- 20 Value for money, must eat restaurant in Tel Aviv?
- 21 Safari in Kenya & Tanzania - A report on Camps, Parks, Tips, Packing, Photo, Money & more.
- 22 Photographic Magazine's Top 10 Tips For Shooting On Safari...
- 23 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 24 Uganda again
- 25 November at victoria falls