We are visiting Greece in May 2013. Since we are taking Egypt Airways (and there is a minimum 22 hr layover in Cairo), we are thinking of stopping in Cairo for 2/3 nights before going to Athens (reaching Cairo at 1.30 pm and flight out from Cairo is at 10.30 am). Since there won't be time to see Luxor/Alexandria, we will stick to Cairo only. My questions are :
1) How many days should be enough for Cairo - 1.5 or 2.5 ? So far, I have planned to see the Pyramids in Giza, the Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan-el-Khalili market and the Cairo Tower. I am assuming that we can do the Egyptian museum on the day we arrive followed by Khan-el-khalili. The next day we could do the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2) The other interesting options are Coptic Cairo, Mohammed Ali Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun and the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. Are these unmissable ? Am I missing out on anything else ?
3) Is the Egyptian museum open on Fridays ?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 USS $ or RAN in South Africa
- 2 Tanzania vs. Botswana
- 3 Single traveler
- 4 Logistics on staying in a riad in the medina
- 5 Route 1+90 allowed with rental car?
- 6 Fly or Train from CMN to Fes/Marrakesh
- 7 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 8 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 9 Souvenirs from South Africa
- 10 First Safari trip-on the right track?
- 11 Viator tour company
- 12 tours in Johannesburg
- 13 Planning my last day in Morocco
- 14 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 15 South African Cities
- 16 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 17 Luggage protection for Joburg?
- 18 Travelling during Purim or not?
- 19 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 20 Stanleys Camp Luggage
- 21 where to go in africa
- 22 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 23 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 24 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 25 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?