We are visiting Greece in May 2013. Since we are taking Egypt Airways (and there is a minimum 22 hr layover in Cairo), we are thinking of stopping in Cairo for 2/3 nights before going to Athens (reaching Cairo at 1.30 pm and flight out from Cairo is at 10.30 am). Since there won't be time to see Luxor/Alexandria, we will stick to Cairo only. My questions are :
1) How many days should be enough for Cairo - 1.5 or 2.5 ? So far, I have planned to see the Pyramids in Giza, the Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan-el-Khalili market and the Cairo Tower. I am assuming that we can do the Egyptian museum on the day we arrive followed by Khan-el-khalili. The next day we could do the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2) The other interesting options are Coptic Cairo, Mohammed Ali Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun and the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. Are these unmissable ? Am I missing out on anything else ?
3) Is the Egyptian museum open on Fridays ?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 FIRST South Africa's trip might be brought to us by You
- 2 Touring Morocco alone for a few days? (fez & marrekech)
- 3 How to spend four nights in Morocco
- 4 PORT SAID/CAIRO - 1 DAY off cruise ship
- 5 African Safari
- 6 South Africa safari, Cape town self drive trip plan- many questions
- 7 Private Tour Recommendations To Erg Chebbi
- 8 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 9 Please give your preferences on these two private Lodges
- 10 Insurance Coverage while in Egypt
- 11 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 12 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 13 Is the migration early this year
- 14 EXCURSION - HAIFA to YAD VASHEM
- 15 Cape Town Itinerary
- 16 Staying overnight at Nairobi Airport as solo female traveler?
- 17 Hotel suggestions in Cape Town
- 18 Tangier (Tanger) Ville railway station
- 19 Madagascar - your tips please
- 20 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 21 Best Economy Hotels In Bahrain
- 22 Travelling to Nigeria for the first time
- 23 5 nights in Cape Town - 5 restaurants
- 24 Burj Khalifa, pre-book or not?
- 25 Road To Morocco Tours