We are visiting Greece in May 2013. Since we are taking Egypt Airways (and there is a minimum 22 hr layover in Cairo), we are thinking of stopping in Cairo for 2/3 nights before going to Athens (reaching Cairo at 1.30 pm and flight out from Cairo is at 10.30 am). Since there won't be time to see Luxor/Alexandria, we will stick to Cairo only. My questions are :
1) How many days should be enough for Cairo - 1.5 or 2.5 ? So far, I have planned to see the Pyramids in Giza, the Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan-el-Khalili market and the Cairo Tower. I am assuming that we can do the Egyptian museum on the day we arrive followed by Khan-el-khalili. The next day we could do the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2) The other interesting options are Coptic Cairo, Mohammed Ali Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun and the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. Are these unmissable ? Am I missing out on anything else ?
3) Is the Egyptian museum open on Fridays ?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Cape Town -safety
- 2 Widerness Lodges
- 3 SA itin review
- 4 Amazing 40th Anniversary Celebration in South Africa
- 5 Botswana safari in late November
- 6 Tipping on Safari
- 7 Ferry to Morocco
- 8 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 9 Dubai (DXB) - New Business Lounges
- 10 Morocco 8 nights Dec trip ideas
- 11 Aug 17 Botswana itinerary help
- 12 Southern Africa, 2 weeks, 10 passport stamps!!
- 13 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 14 Do no use Sunrise Eco Tours - Rwanda\Uganda
- 15 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 16 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 17 Fuerteventura: SS America (SS American Star)
- 18 Lodge Feedback
- 19 Flying to Fes from Europe
- 20 Driving in South Africa
- 21 Help with 9 day itinerary - Essaouira or time in the desert
- 22 Itinerary Help - 9 Full days in Morocco
- 23 Casablanca, Hassan II Mosque tour times
- 24 Cape Town and Safari trip report
- 25 2 Months in Ethiopia - My Experience