We are visiting Greece in May 2013. Since we are taking Egypt Airways (and there is a minimum 22 hr layover in Cairo), we are thinking of stopping in Cairo for 2/3 nights before going to Athens (reaching Cairo at 1.30 pm and flight out from Cairo is at 10.30 am). Since there won't be time to see Luxor/Alexandria, we will stick to Cairo only. My questions are :
1) How many days should be enough for Cairo - 1.5 or 2.5 ? So far, I have planned to see the Pyramids in Giza, the Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan-el-Khalili market and the Cairo Tower. I am assuming that we can do the Egyptian museum on the day we arrive followed by Khan-el-khalili. The next day we could do the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2) The other interesting options are Coptic Cairo, Mohammed Ali Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun and the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. Are these unmissable ? Am I missing out on anything else ?
3) Is the Egyptian museum open on Fridays ?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 2 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 3 Yom Haatzmaut
- 4 Yom Hazikaron
- 5 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 6 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 7 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 8 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 9 recomendation on African Safari company
- 10 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 11 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 12 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 13 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 14 One extra day in Jordan
- 15 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
- 16 Where to stay for a night in Johannesburg?
- 17 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 18 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 19 Israel in Late October or November?
- 20 One month in Africa
- 21 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 22 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 23 Travel to Saudi Arabia
- 24 Snorkeling at Diani Beach
- 25 Madagascar - Books