We are visiting Greece in May 2013. Since we are taking Egypt Airways (and there is a minimum 22 hr layover in Cairo), we are thinking of stopping in Cairo for 2/3 nights before going to Athens (reaching Cairo at 1.30 pm and flight out from Cairo is at 10.30 am). Since there won't be time to see Luxor/Alexandria, we will stick to Cairo only. My questions are :
1) How many days should be enough for Cairo - 1.5 or 2.5 ? So far, I have planned to see the Pyramids in Giza, the Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan-el-Khalili market and the Cairo Tower. I am assuming that we can do the Egyptian museum on the day we arrive followed by Khan-el-khalili. The next day we could do the Pyramids and Sphinx.
2) The other interesting options are Coptic Cairo, Mohammed Ali Mosque, Mosque of Ibn Tulun and the Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. Are these unmissable ? Am I missing out on anything else ?
3) Is the Egyptian museum open on Fridays ?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 footwear for primate tracking
- 2 Two Safari questions--one photography and one about gratuities
- 3 First Trip to Africa
- 4 Jordan - a very good trip, more or less
- 5 13 nights in Morocco-itinerary help please
- 6 Renting a cell phone in Johannesburg aiport
- 7 22 Days at 4 Camps in Southern Tanzania - Ruaha and Selous
- 8 Tanzania & Zanzibar Itinerary
- 9 African Safari Without Small Planes!
- 10 Morocco Trip Report
- 11 Planned Itinerary and Questions-Morocco, April 2016
- 12 Morocco in October 2015
- 13 Remembering Palmyra
- 14 Morocco - 11 nights - comments on itinerary
- 15 Safe to Travel to Morocco
- 16 Egypt - December 2008 - Trip Report
- 17 Short (7 days of less) four/five star level family safari
- 18 Naboisho Camp vs. Governor's Camp
- 19 Cote Divoire the heart of Africa
- 20 Dubai Desert Safari - Toddler Friendly?
- 21 Anyone have experience with Rothschild Safaris?
- 22 Umkumbe or Toro Yaka?
- 23 What a great idea!! Make a difference.
- 24 From Downtown Cairo to 10th ramdan city
- 25 Transit visa