Spent the month of October in Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda. My pictures won't be up on the web till February probably.
The roads are BEYOND AWFUL. Car broke down five times in the first 36 hours of the Rift Valley and Masai Mara.
Nairobi - not as bad as everyone says
Masai Mara - Great. Stayed in a tented lodge, an amazing experience. Saw lion pair mating. Saw hyena with bloody spine in its mouth. Two leopards. Cheetah jumped on jeep. nearly charged by an elephant. Giraffes everywhere. Wildebeest and zebra all over.
Lake Nakuru - Long harsh drive to get there. Glad I saw the flamingos and the rhino.
Treetops/Aberdares - Nice to say I stayed in Treetops, but dissapointing overall.
Lake Naivasha -Didn't get to see the lake. The lodge, the Naivash Sopa was great.
Amboseli - DUSTY, horribly barren. Great elephants. Saw a hippo come all the way out to the road. Saw a baby hyena dash back into its hole in the ground. Had a horrible vehicle breakdown. Lots of Ostriches.
Kenya/Tanzania border: Like the Wild West. Saw a pickpocket get the beating of his life here.
Arusha - Gateway city to Tanzania safari
Lake Manyara - beautiful hotel. Skipped game drive to get to Serengeti earlier
Serengeti - didn't realize I would have to drive through couple dozen kilometers of dusty barren land before getting to the plusher plains. Full day game drive in Serengeti was EVERYTHING I have dreamed off. Saw the most amazing, perfect male lion. Herd of HUNDREDS of buffalo. A leopard with an impala in a tree. Lots of elephants. Saw TONS more lions all over driving out of Serengeti.
Ngorongoro Crater - EARLY morning game drive saw lions try in vain to hunt buffalo. Buffalo sent the lions fleeing. *Greatest moment of whole trip* Cheetah. Hippo. Rhino. More lions. Loved the Crater.
Kigali, Rwanda - An absolutely beautiful city. Stayed at the Mille Collines. (the Hotel Rwanda)
Nyungwe Forest - Tracked chimpanzees. The hardest thing I have ever done physically. Had to completely break our own trail for hours. Struggled not to fall down ravines. Got a 30 second glimpse of chimps.
Murambi Genocide Center - Saw petrified skeletal remains of genocide victims. Horrifying beyond the imagination.
Volcanoes Forest - saw the legendary mountain gorillas. Simply one of the most awe inspiring, breathtaking moments of my life.
Rwanda country - the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
All in all East Africa was amazing.
East Africa - Five Minute trip report
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Staying out all day vs coming in for lunch in Botswana parks/concessions?
- 2 Tipping
- 3 What company for gorilla trekking?
- 4 Wildlife camps in Kenya and Tanzania
- 5 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 6 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 7 Tanzania (Selous): Trip Report for Selous Impala Camp
- 8 Quick question about Kenya..
- 9 Egypt, Israel and Jordan safety concerns.
- 10 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 11 Questions about Chobe
- 12 Mala Mala Luxury Suite or Sabi Sabi Mandleve Presidential Suite?
- 13 What camera to use on safari
- 14 Lamu or Zanzibar?
- 15 India
- 16 Tanzania (Ruaha): Trip Report for Mwagusi Camp
- 17 Ideas about the trip.
- 18 Israel/Jordan -- other trip options to bypass Israel?
- 19 3 days in Teheran
- 20 CAMEL TREK IN MOROCCO
- 21 trip report s africa, victoria falls & Botswana Zambezi Queen
- 22 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Spain, Morocco
- 23 Some advice re driving from Durban to Capetown via Umtata
- 24 Oman - moderate priced hotel near souks
- 25 Taxi - Casablanca Airport to El Jdidh