Spent the month of October in Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda. My pictures won't be up on the web till February probably.
The roads are BEYOND AWFUL. Car broke down five times in the first 36 hours of the Rift Valley and Masai Mara.
Nairobi - not as bad as everyone says
Masai Mara - Great. Stayed in a tented lodge, an amazing experience. Saw lion pair mating. Saw hyena with bloody spine in its mouth. Two leopards. Cheetah jumped on jeep. nearly charged by an elephant. Giraffes everywhere. Wildebeest and zebra all over.
Lake Nakuru - Long harsh drive to get there. Glad I saw the flamingos and the rhino.
Treetops/Aberdares - Nice to say I stayed in Treetops, but dissapointing overall.
Lake Naivasha -Didn't get to see the lake. The lodge, the Naivash Sopa was great.
Amboseli - DUSTY, horribly barren. Great elephants. Saw a hippo come all the way out to the road. Saw a baby hyena dash back into its hole in the ground. Had a horrible vehicle breakdown. Lots of Ostriches.
Kenya/Tanzania border: Like the Wild West. Saw a pickpocket get the beating of his life here.
Arusha - Gateway city to Tanzania safari
Lake Manyara - beautiful hotel. Skipped game drive to get to Serengeti earlier
Serengeti - didn't realize I would have to drive through couple dozen kilometers of dusty barren land before getting to the plusher plains. Full day game drive in Serengeti was EVERYTHING I have dreamed off. Saw the most amazing, perfect male lion. Herd of HUNDREDS of buffalo. A leopard with an impala in a tree. Lots of elephants. Saw TONS more lions all over driving out of Serengeti.
Ngorongoro Crater - EARLY morning game drive saw lions try in vain to hunt buffalo. Buffalo sent the lions fleeing. *Greatest moment of whole trip* Cheetah. Hippo. Rhino. More lions. Loved the Crater.
Kigali, Rwanda - An absolutely beautiful city. Stayed at the Mille Collines. (the Hotel Rwanda)
Nyungwe Forest - Tracked chimpanzees. The hardest thing I have ever done physically. Had to completely break our own trail for hours. Struggled not to fall down ravines. Got a 30 second glimpse of chimps.
Murambi Genocide Center - Saw petrified skeletal remains of genocide victims. Horrifying beyond the imagination.
Volcanoes Forest - saw the legendary mountain gorillas. Simply one of the most awe inspiring, breathtaking moments of my life.
Rwanda country - the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
All in all East Africa was amazing.
East Africa - Five Minute trip report
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Zanzibar - from a resident's perspective
- 2 Now is the Time fo Egypt...
- 3 Magnificent wedding in the Masai Mara
- 4 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 5 Zambia Impressions
- 6 Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania
- 7 Travel Report for Malawi - A Great Place To Relax
- 8 Serengeti Photo Safari - April 2015
- 9 Johannesburg to Cape Town
- 10 Comments on Botswana itinerary with Wilderness Travel
- 11 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 12 Morocco floods - areas affected
- 13 Dubai first time
- 14 Mauritius September 2015 - Silver Beach Resort or Emeraude Beach Attitude?
- 15 Taste of Dubai
- 16 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 17 Where to spend extra night; Merzouga or Skoura?
- 18 Canoe Safari Jan - Feb
- 19 Dubai and/or Oman
- 20 Good travel company to book an 8 day trip to Egypt
- 21 Need advice on which camera lenses for safari
- 22 Morocco Advice
- 23 MOROCCO SOLO
- 24 Guide for Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Jan 2015
- 25 Suggestions for a group tour