Spent the month of October in Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda. My pictures won't be up on the web till February probably.
The roads are BEYOND AWFUL. Car broke down five times in the first 36 hours of the Rift Valley and Masai Mara.
Nairobi - not as bad as everyone says
Masai Mara - Great. Stayed in a tented lodge, an amazing experience. Saw lion pair mating. Saw hyena with bloody spine in its mouth. Two leopards. Cheetah jumped on jeep. nearly charged by an elephant. Giraffes everywhere. Wildebeest and zebra all over.
Lake Nakuru - Long harsh drive to get there. Glad I saw the flamingos and the rhino.
Treetops/Aberdares - Nice to say I stayed in Treetops, but dissapointing overall.
Lake Naivasha -Didn't get to see the lake. The lodge, the Naivash Sopa was great.
Amboseli - DUSTY, horribly barren. Great elephants. Saw a hippo come all the way out to the road. Saw a baby hyena dash back into its hole in the ground. Had a horrible vehicle breakdown. Lots of Ostriches.
Kenya/Tanzania border: Like the Wild West. Saw a pickpocket get the beating of his life here.
Arusha - Gateway city to Tanzania safari
Lake Manyara - beautiful hotel. Skipped game drive to get to Serengeti earlier
Serengeti - didn't realize I would have to drive through couple dozen kilometers of dusty barren land before getting to the plusher plains. Full day game drive in Serengeti was EVERYTHING I have dreamed off. Saw the most amazing, perfect male lion. Herd of HUNDREDS of buffalo. A leopard with an impala in a tree. Lots of elephants. Saw TONS more lions all over driving out of Serengeti.
Ngorongoro Crater - EARLY morning game drive saw lions try in vain to hunt buffalo. Buffalo sent the lions fleeing. *Greatest moment of whole trip* Cheetah. Hippo. Rhino. More lions. Loved the Crater.
Kigali, Rwanda - An absolutely beautiful city. Stayed at the Mille Collines. (the Hotel Rwanda)
Nyungwe Forest - Tracked chimpanzees. The hardest thing I have ever done physically. Had to completely break our own trail for hours. Struggled not to fall down ravines. Got a 30 second glimpse of chimps.
Murambi Genocide Center - Saw petrified skeletal remains of genocide victims. Horrifying beyond the imagination.
Volcanoes Forest - saw the legendary mountain gorillas. Simply one of the most awe inspiring, breathtaking moments of my life.
Rwanda country - the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
All in all East Africa was amazing.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://www.healthyapplechat.com/maxtropin-reviews/
- 2 Morocco desert tours with Marrakech camel trips
- 3 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 4 help with itinerary please
- 5 Gorilla Trekking Rwanda 3 months Pregnant
- 6 Seeking recommendation: Beach hotel in Netanya
- 7 Luggage restrictions
- 8 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 9 ISRAEL TRIP
- 10 Transportation from Casablanca to Rabat
- 11 South Africa Honeymoon: Sabi Sands Reserve Lodge Recommendation
- 12 Advice on Cape Town in July
- 13 2 Expeditions To The The Danakil Depression - My Experiences
- 14 15 day tour in Morocco - itinerary advices
- 15 Cape Town + Eastern Cape
- 16 A weeks trip to Egypt.couple with a year old babys first birthday!!
- 17 Help with safari itinerary with 9 year old
- 18 Tel Aviv Nightlife for 30+
- 19 Advice on East African trip
- 20 Help plan African Safari
- 21 Anyone stayed at Mosetlha Camp in Madikwe?
- 22 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 23 Zimbabwe 4x4 camper
- 24 Dubai first time
- 25 Dubai apartments/hotels