Spent the month of October in Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda. My pictures won't be up on the web till February probably.
The roads are BEYOND AWFUL. Car broke down five times in the first 36 hours of the Rift Valley and Masai Mara.
Nairobi - not as bad as everyone says
Masai Mara - Great. Stayed in a tented lodge, an amazing experience. Saw lion pair mating. Saw hyena with bloody spine in its mouth. Two leopards. Cheetah jumped on jeep. nearly charged by an elephant. Giraffes everywhere. Wildebeest and zebra all over.
Lake Nakuru - Long harsh drive to get there. Glad I saw the flamingos and the rhino.
Treetops/Aberdares - Nice to say I stayed in Treetops, but dissapointing overall.
Lake Naivasha -Didn't get to see the lake. The lodge, the Naivash Sopa was great.
Amboseli - DUSTY, horribly barren. Great elephants. Saw a hippo come all the way out to the road. Saw a baby hyena dash back into its hole in the ground. Had a horrible vehicle breakdown. Lots of Ostriches.
Kenya/Tanzania border: Like the Wild West. Saw a pickpocket get the beating of his life here.
Arusha - Gateway city to Tanzania safari
Lake Manyara - beautiful hotel. Skipped game drive to get to Serengeti earlier
Serengeti - didn't realize I would have to drive through couple dozen kilometers of dusty barren land before getting to the plusher plains. Full day game drive in Serengeti was EVERYTHING I have dreamed off. Saw the most amazing, perfect male lion. Herd of HUNDREDS of buffalo. A leopard with an impala in a tree. Lots of elephants. Saw TONS more lions all over driving out of Serengeti.
Ngorongoro Crater - EARLY morning game drive saw lions try in vain to hunt buffalo. Buffalo sent the lions fleeing. *Greatest moment of whole trip* Cheetah. Hippo. Rhino. More lions. Loved the Crater.
Kigali, Rwanda - An absolutely beautiful city. Stayed at the Mille Collines. (the Hotel Rwanda)
Nyungwe Forest - Tracked chimpanzees. The hardest thing I have ever done physically. Had to completely break our own trail for hours. Struggled not to fall down ravines. Got a 30 second glimpse of chimps.
Murambi Genocide Center - Saw petrified skeletal remains of genocide victims. Horrifying beyond the imagination.
Volcanoes Forest - saw the legendary mountain gorillas. Simply one of the most awe inspiring, breathtaking moments of my life.
Rwanda country - the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.
All in all East Africa was amazing.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 tours in Johannesburg
- 2 First Safari trip-on the right track?
- 3 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 4 Viator tour company
- 5 Planning my last day in Morocco
- 6 best bag to get for fly in safari in kenya
- 7 South African Cities
- 8 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 9 Luggage protection for Joburg?
- 10 Travelling during Purim or not?
- 11 East African Visa Beware!!!
- 12 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 13 Souvenirs from South Africa
- 14 Stanleys Camp Luggage
- 15 where to go in africa
- 16 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 17 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 18 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 19 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 20 Help with bags
- 21 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 22 4 DAYS IN MOROCCO- AGADIR OR ESSAOUIRA??
- 23 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 24 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 25 Israeli Tour Guides