I'm interested in visiting Dubai with the intention of seeking employment there. While I would appreciate general suggestions, I have some specific questions.
1. US citizens can obtain a visa upon arrival. However I'm not clear on how long I can stay in Dubai on a visitor visa. Depending on which web site you look at, its 30 days, 60 days or 90 days!! Anyone know for sure what it really is?
2. Will my US cellphone work in Dubai or the UAE in general? I have an old Nokia with no bells and whistles. I will of course use a local service provider to avoid intnl roaming charges. A pre-paid card maybe? Is this easy to obtain?
3. Any idea as to housing costs? SInce its going to be a one month trip at least. Whats the best way to find accommodation?
4. Any idea as to what the job market there is like? I have about 15 years of admin/mgmt support experience working for reputed financial firms in New York. I'm not too fussy about the kind of work I get so long as it pays the bills and I have some savings left over.
5. Whats with the passport thing? Someone told me the employer holds your passport? Is this true? Not sure I like this - is it legal? Why would they do that?
Again thanks in advance. Cheers!!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Giraffe in Kruger national park
- 2 First time safari question
- 3 To drive or not to drive - need itinerary advice
- 4 help with itinerary please
- 5 A First Journey to Southern Africa: Cape, Falls, and Animal Safaris
- 6 Help choosing Safari in Botswana
- 7 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 8 Never use Travelust Safaris!
- 9 Lion Sands River Lodge or Narina Lodge
- 10 Swala Safaris
- 11 Safety at Sharm el sheikh and St Catherine's
- 12 Dubai
- 13 FloShuttle. from Ben Gurion airport
- 14 Driving from Jo-burg to Hazyview
- 15 Back in Iran again-just 11 days, help!
- 16 6 Days in the Danakil Depression - An Experience of a Life Time!
- 17 Help with last minute planning VFalls/Kruger/CapeTown
- 18 Etosha help
- 19 &Beyond vs. Wilderness Groups
- 20 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 21 private game reserve-kruger
- 22 Abu Dhabi and the Rest?
- 23 Dubai for 36 hours hotel recommendation
- 24 go2africa
- 25 Fabulous Feb. 2016 Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya Trip