I'm interested in visiting Dubai with the intention of seeking employment there. While I would appreciate general suggestions, I have some specific questions.
1. US citizens can obtain a visa upon arrival. However I'm not clear on how long I can stay in Dubai on a visitor visa. Depending on which web site you look at, its 30 days, 60 days or 90 days!! Anyone know for sure what it really is?
2. Will my US cellphone work in Dubai or the UAE in general? I have an old Nokia with no bells and whistles. I will of course use a local service provider to avoid intnl roaming charges. A pre-paid card maybe? Is this easy to obtain?
3. Any idea as to housing costs? SInce its going to be a one month trip at least. Whats the best way to find accommodation?
4. Any idea as to what the job market there is like? I have about 15 years of admin/mgmt support experience working for reputed financial firms in New York. I'm not too fussy about the kind of work I get so long as it pays the bills and I have some savings left over.
5. Whats with the passport thing? Someone told me the employer holds your passport? Is this true? Not sure I like this - is it legal? Why would they do that?
Again thanks in advance. Cheers!!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Flooding at Ngamba Island
- 2 Feedback on Victoria Falls visit please
- 3 house exchange
- 4 TRIP REPORT – 5 fantastic weeks in South Africa, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Mauritius
- 5 casablanca airport taxis
- 6 Is it Possible to Buy Advance Tickets to the Hassan 2 Mosque?
- 7 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 8 Now is a GREAT time to visit Egypt! (Trip Report)
- 9 Insect Repellent
- 10 Marrakech, Demnate, Essaouira on slow
- 11 First Attempt South Africa Itinerary - Advice Please
- 12 Which Would you Recommend as an Outdoor Day trip from Marrakech?-Imlil or Cascades d'Ouzod
- 13 Tiberias with kids
- 14 Lion World
- 15 Advice, please: Addo Elephant Park to Cape Town AIrport on Garden Route
- 16 East Africa Safari 1st Time- Summer 2016
- 17 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 18 Israel in April - itinerary help
- 19 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 20 Mpumalanga visit
- 21 safe areas to go on safari
- 22 Rabat opinion and prices in Rabat + video
- 23 Trip to Kenya in August 2016
- 24 Okavango and Kalahari in December
- 25 Victoria Falls