I'm interested in visiting Dubai with the intention of seeking employment there. While I would appreciate general suggestions, I have some specific questions.
1. US citizens can obtain a visa upon arrival. However I'm not clear on how long I can stay in Dubai on a visitor visa. Depending on which web site you look at, its 30 days, 60 days or 90 days!! Anyone know for sure what it really is?
2. Will my US cellphone work in Dubai or the UAE in general? I have an old Nokia with no bells and whistles. I will of course use a local service provider to avoid intnl roaming charges. A pre-paid card maybe? Is this easy to obtain?
3. Any idea as to housing costs? SInce its going to be a one month trip at least. Whats the best way to find accommodation?
4. Any idea as to what the job market there is like? I have about 15 years of admin/mgmt support experience working for reputed financial firms in New York. I'm not too fussy about the kind of work I get so long as it pays the bills and I have some savings left over.
5. Whats with the passport thing? Someone told me the employer holds your passport? Is this true? Not sure I like this - is it legal? Why would they do that?
Again thanks in advance. Cheers!!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 safari for the mobility impaired
- 2 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 3 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 4 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 5 Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 6 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 7 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 8 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 9 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 10 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 11 Itinerary and logistics of Mid April Mrocco solo
- 12 Kenya and Tanzaniz combined 13 days Safari
- 13 13 Days Tanzania and Kenya Safari
- 14 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 15 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 16 Buying merchandise
- 17 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 18 Egypt January-February 2018
- 19 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 20 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 21 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 22 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 23 Need a Car in Nassau?
- 24 Dining in Cape Town
- 25 Change Tour Operators at Last Minute?