Hello my fellow Fodorites,
First of all thank you for the ample amount of information you guys have provided up here in particular christabir, tripplanner001, and pixel...(sorry I forgot the rest of your username). Based on the positive reports that you have, we decided to self-drive in South Africa for our upcoming trip.
I want to use a TO to help plan the trip. When I mentioned about self-drive they recommended me not to. The reasons they gave me include 1) it's dangerous to drive with big trucks 2) there are robberies everywhere 3) if you never drive on the left before, south africa is not your testing ground 3) number one death rate there is car accident 4) people don't wear glasses or contact lens there when they need to 4) it's dangerous when encounter animals and you don't know what to do with (mind you, though I don't have experience, I do not plan to run over the animals when I see them...so I am not even sure what number 4 even means) 5) last but not least, they don't send clients on self-drive because if something happens they can't help (this TO is U.S. based by the way)
My route is very standard in my opinion Johannesburg, Durban, Lake Sibayi, and KNP.
As you can see, all of this is in stark contrast to what I have read from your reports. I would like to know how you feel about all that given some of you have been there done that.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 BROTHER printer 1:888:482:3831 installations CONTACT ☎ BROTHER TEC*h 24*7
- 2 nearby game lodge from Johannesburg
- 3 November Safari Help: Botswana or Kruger?
- 4 Family4Travels to Israel & Petra -matzos, mezze and Menachem!!
- 5 Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage
- 6 Safari in Kruger National Park
- 7 Africa – after 10 years of waiting – an amazing and wondrous journey.
- 8 Sabi Sands Savanna Private Reserve vs Timbavati Motswari Game Lodge
- 9 Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe and Zambia) - Travel Report
- 10 Safari travel agent suggestions?
- 11 Straight through to Kenya or layover?
- 12 Southern Africa or Tanzania/Kenya for August 2018 Family Trip
- 13 Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca
- 14 Experience of using Namibia Tracks and Trails
- 15 Transfer time at JNB Intl. airport
- 16 Sabi Sands areavs Motswari Timbavati area
- 17 Kilimanjaro Tour Operators
- 18 Egypt in 6 days itinerary - please advise
- 19 Going to Israel end of October. Maybe silly, but what shoes to bring?
- 20 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 21 Where are the best safaris in Africa?
- 22 Wilson airport transfer to NBO
- 23 Advice traveling to Morocco as a woman with a child
- 24 Tanzania Safari - The Good, The Bad, The Unexpected and The Amazing!!
- 25 Short S. African Safaris?
Hello my fellow Fodorites,